Nifty Fifty - A Must purchase??

booyaka

Been reading a fair bit about this lense and seems to be a no brainer to purchase it??

http://www.onestop-digital.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=24_27&products_id=42

Cheap as chips. Not got the cash to go for the f1.4 version. (obvioulsy out of stock there anyway!)

At the moment the camera is getting used for lots of pictures of my 8 month old lad, general inhouse pictures of him playing etc.

Using the stock 18-55mm lense with my D40 for this and it works well for most at the moment but having viewed a number of pictures on here and flickr etc - some of the pictures with the nifty fifty appear to be "clearer and crisper" than the stock D40 lense.

Main difference will be learning to manually focusing the nifty rather than the AF of the stock lense on my D40 ??

Anything else to consider before purchasing???

MOD - Can a mod edit the title to sort out my shocking spelling! - Should be "Nifty Fifty"

springtide

Distinguished Member
Is there no HSM version of the lens so that you get autofocus with the D40?

50mm f/1.8 are great portrait lens for indoors, just AF is pretty useful with the kids.

booyaka

ahh - expensive then for sigma 1.4f

salubrious_k

Novice Member
Definitely a must.

I have a pretty damn expensive lens collection now, but the nifty fifty still gets used plenty!

jonnypb

nifty is a good lens to learn with if money can't stretch to the 50 1.4 - I started with the nifty but upgraded to the 1.4 and it was worth it. I just found the nifty too slow to focus indoors and wasn't always that accurate

julian_fraser

Novice Member
I got a f/1.8 one from One Stop and I've got a D40 like you.

I took THIS and THIS with it...

I've used it about 3 times. It's a great lens but I just can't be bothered with the manual focusing! Going to make a concerted effort to use it more but the shots have to be posed because you simply can't keep up with any movement!

mij

Been reading a fair bit about this lense and seems to be a no brainer to purchase it??

http://www.onestop-digital.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=24_27&products_id=42

Cheap as chips. Not got the cash to go for the f1.4 version. (obvioulsy out of stock there anyway!)

At the moment the camera is getting used for lots of pictures of my 8 month old lad, general inhouse pictures of him playing etc.

Using the stock 18-55mm lense with my D40 for this and it works well for most at the moment but having viewed a number of pictures on here and flickr etc - some of the pictures with the nifty fifty appear to be "clearer and crisper" than the stock D40 lense.

Main difference will be learning to manually focusing the nifty rather than the AF of the stock lense on my D40 ??

Anything else to consider before purchasing???

MOD - Can a mod edit the title to sort out my shocking spelling! - Should be "Nifty Fifty"

A flash may be worth considering.

The SB400 can be had for not much more money than the 50mm, and a bit more again gets the SB600. With either of these you can use bounce flash which may be all you need.

springtide

Distinguished Member
A cheap D80 might be worth considering. Or even the older D50.

To be honest, the lack of AF motor in the D40, D40X and D60 are good reasons to buy Canon IMO.

onefunkypenguin

my fifty has been on the camera non stop since i purchased it, if you have a look through any of my pics on flickr or here then at least 90% of them have been taken with it!

agree with the manual focus being a bit of a pain at first but you get used to it pretty quickly and there is a little light that tells you if the image is in focus on the bottom left of your screen (thanks paulie :smashin: ).

im looking to get the 1.4 when funds allow.

springtide

Distinguished Member
I do agree that the Nifty Fifty is a must have if you want to start trying portraits.

It's just the idea of mixing children portrait photography with manual focus makes me break into a cold sweat! Especially if you are trying to nail the focus with the lens wide open. Maybe I've just got too used to AF :)

As someone once told me, there's little difference between children portrait and motosport photography :)

booyaka

I got a f/1.8 one from One Stop and I've got a D40 like you.

I took THIS and THIS with it...

I've used it about 3 times. It's a great lens but I just can't be bothered with the manual focusing! Going to make a concerted effort to use it more but the shots have to be posed because you simply can't keep up with any movement!
thanks for that - lovely photos by the way.

booyaka

A cheap D80 might be worth considering. Or even the older D50.

To be honest, the lack of AF motor in the D40, D40X and D60 are good reasons to buy Canon IMO.
agreed - at the time it was an impluse purchase with a new baby on the way so the D40 was the sensible option from a cost perspective. However the lack of AF motor is a little annoying!!

May consider but cash is not exactly flowing at the moment!

springtide

Distinguished Member
I understand where you are coming from with regards to outlay on toys with a new baby on the way. A new lens is not exactly a priority.

I was wondering if there was a reasonably priced HSM Macro (or other prime) available in Nikon mount as an alternative to the 50 f/1.8?

If you find something suitable, might also be worth checking Ebay to reduce the costs.

Anyone from the Nikon camp know of anything cheap and suitable?

mansell

Novice Member
I use my 50mm a lot to take portraits shots of my kids, most of these are indoors with or without flash. So I’m talking from experience when I say I think you will find it very hard trying to manual focus one of these on your boy, especially when he get’s more mobile.

However I still think you should buy one, the cost is so low that even if you don’t get on with it you won’t have wasted a lot of money, plus it gives you a level of DOF control which you currently do not have.

So in short buy it and give it a try, this lens is very very sharp from about F4 and the colours are so natural!

I would also recommend you buy a flash, maybe not now but when the summer is over (next week then), go for the SB600 which will let you bounce the light when holding the D40 in portrait fashion.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom