1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nicely Worded Explanation of Different DLP Chips Available (Good for Newbie’s)

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by millec199, Jan 24, 2005.

1. millec199

millec199

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I found this from a link posted on these forums and thought it gave a very good explanation of the current DLP chips being used. I thought it might be of use as a quick guide for any newbie’s coming to the world of DLP rear projection.

It is from this link, detailing the up-coming DLPs if anyone is interested.

Hope you find it useful :thumbsup:

TI also gave us a rundown of their current DLP lineup to clear up any confusion there may be over the cost/features of various TI solutions in DLPs today:

HD2 - TI's older DLP measures 0.8" diagonally and is a rectangular grid 720p DLP.

HD2+ - A higher contrast version of the HD2. The higher contrast was made possible through process improvements allowing for closer positioning of the individual mirrors, smaller mirrors and darker coatings to help absorb unwanted light inside the DLP.

HD3 - A 0.55" diagonal die not on a rectangular grid using half the mirrors of the HD2/HD2+ but still a 720p solution. Using mirrors that can move and stabilize at twice the speed of the HD2+ solution, TI was able to use each mirror for two pixels in the HD3 chip by shifting each individual mirror very slightly and very quickly to paint two pixels (think of it as a serial DDR approach to DLPs). The benefit of using half the mirrors is that it drives down the size of the DLP (0.55" vs. 0.8") and thus reduces the price of the TVs. The DLP also somewhat overlaps the two pixels it paints using a single mirror to get rid of pixelization, to provide for a smoother, more film-like image (which some may or may not prefer). TI calls this 2 pixels per mirror technology their Smooth Picture Technology, so whenever you see that phrase used it means that the TI DLP is only using half the necessary mirrors and using each mirror to drive 2 pixels.

xHD3 - A larger chip with a 0.85" die, the xHD3 is basically a HD3 that does 1080p. It also features Smooth Picture Technology.

2. ian127

ian127

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have read in three different articles from the US that the new xHD3 mirror is a 960X1080 and operates just like the HD3 <ie paints two pixels> to get the 1920X1080 resolution.Perhaps those people who are waiting for this chip will be disappointed that it is not the rectangular mirror in the HD2+ that does have a slightly sharper picture. I have the Samsung SP46L3HX which has the HD3 chip and it has an amazing picture. I also read that the xHD3 was only being fitted to rear projection sets at the moment because the market is so big.

3. millec199

millec199

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    It would not surprise me if the HD3 style of chip is the future of DLP Rear projection for the time being, due to the reduced cost of the technology. I would assume that the race to get 1080i TVs out in the mass market (well as mass as rear projection will ever be) would make the 2 pixels per mirror tech more appealing to manufactures.

However my guess is, that eventually a HD2+ style chip with 1080 resoultion will be seen, however it will probably be in the higher end of the market and be priced accordingally (using the claimed extra sharpness of the technology as a main selling point).

Whatever happens there is bound to be much much much discussion on the subject over the next few years.

4. n00b

n00b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    isn't the samsung HD3, yet more expensive than almost all the HD2+ sets? :confused:

5. millec199

millec199

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Yes it is as far as I know, but not sure why this is. All the info I have read has said the HD3 chip is significantly cheaper than the HD2+ chip. It might be because the HD3 chip is newer so manufactures are trying to cash in on that fact, or it may be other factors in the manufacturing process of the TV that make it more expensive. But if the chip is cheaper to begin with then it is likely that the HD3 chip will in the end deliver a cheaper TV than the HD2+.

6. ian127

ian127

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the samsung is more expensive as it has a few things the toshiba doen,t. Twin tuners, picture in picture, carl ziess optics, ect. Samsung are the biggest producers of DLP rear projection and have been at it longer than anyone else. Having said that i gave the Toshiba serious consideration but in the end was dropped due to length,as it did not fit where i wanted it to go without extending my sky cable infact all my cableing. In the end the set manufacturers are supplied with the DMD from texas instruments its what is put into the light engine that makes the set better or worse than others.