1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nice to haves.. anyone help?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by NickBull, Mar 27, 2002.

1. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a few things I would like to have on my HTPC.

I am running Theatretek and Dscaler, with any input into Dscaler being just composite as the Pinnacle card only supports this and Svideo, and my ITV digital box won't support SVideo)

Anyway, things are great playback wise but there's a few little asthetic tweaks and stuff I want to do. This is where any advise would be apreciated.

The first problem is that when the PC starts upo, it sets off a few programs running that I don't want. ATI control pannel, SBLIVE control, Scheduler etc, does anyone know where these are triggered on startup and how to prevent them. At the moment I o into Task Manager and shut them down.

Secondly it would be nice to replace the desktop with a simple icon system for either DVD or Dscaler, any suggestions?

Third is IR control, I have ordered an IRMAN and want to use my Sony remote (the touch screen one) is this easy to set up, I notice TT provides a remote file.

Forth is the case, I've seen the PSIVIDEO and the other one on this forum, but is anywhere in the uk doing one?
    How easy would it be to buy some aluminium and a cheap ATX desktop and fabricate at least a front panel for it?

Cheers

Nick

2. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +548
    WRT the desktop icons
    I still haven't found a great solution to get an arrow key controlled, highlighting menu to replace the desktop. So far the only way I've done it is to use a Flash active desktop. Not a bad solution but It does use a bit of system resource.

The quickest way to get rid of your icons is to turn on Active desktop (right-click on desktop>active desktop>show web content) and then go back in and turn off desktop icons (right-click on desktop>active desktop>show desktop icons).
    This coupled with an auto-hide start bar works pretty well.

You then need to replace your background image with a graphical one and use your remote control/girder to activate apps/settings.

WRT ir control
    You'll need girder, then you can load in the file on the TT disk and replace all the ir commands with those from your sony remote. It's got a steep initial learning curve but then you're just repeating the same actions again and again so shouldn't cause too much pain.

Hope this helps.
    Regards
    Alex

3. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll give it a go tonight I think. Can't watch films at the moment anyway, due to selling my old amp and waiting for new one so might as well have a tweak.

Cheers

Nick

4. Punce

Punce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Regarding unwanted programs running in memory (Scheduler, SBLive control etc)

I take it you are using Windows 98? If so, Click Start - Run, and type in 'msconfig', go to the tab furthest right, I think it's called "startup" (sorry, working from memory) You find out the program filename, and when you're sure, untick the box, apply the changes - then it will ask you to reboot.

Mark

5. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excellend Mark. I knew it must me something simple!

My ambition is to make it fool proof, so the anyone can switch on the PC and Projector and play a film, with the correct refresh rates for PAL and NTSC just by pressing play on the remote.

If I can lose the unwanted programs then I can add TT player into startup and it should hopefully just come up imediately.

Then all I'll need is a control for dscaler, but I don't use that too often anyway!

Cheers

Nick