1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nice rack

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by Stereo Steve, Jun 23, 2004.

1. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Not being one to believe much in the sonic benefits of hifi storage systems, I constructed my new hifi supports using basic DIY products. I bought from Screwfix some of those wall mounted shelving uprights and brackets that are often used in offices/ workshops.

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?ts=81877&id=14717

I then made some basic shelves from MDF and screwed them onto the brackets. It actually looks pretty good. I had intended to encase the whole thing in a freestanding cabinet to give the appearence of a cupboard but I may just refine it and leave as is.

Anyway, I put all my gear on. I made the shelves big enough so I could turn components slightly to gain rear access. All cabling is neatly running down the gap at the back.

I believe I heard a quantifiable difference in the sound, especially when playing CD's on my Arcam A7SE. Previously it had been in a floor standing unit with all the other gear. I have yet to try putting it back to see if it's my imagination. But I would describe the improvement as an opening of the sound stage.

Maybe it's all in my head but this shelving system cost just a few quid, was easy to put up and is fully adjustable to take different gear in the future. If it does give me an audible benefit by isolating stuff from floor vibrations then all the better.

I'm chuffed.

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Any chance of a pic of the finished product? Wall mounting always seemed neater to me than using a rack.

3. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I'll see what I can do. Just moved house so not sure where the digi camera is. It's all a bit of a mess at the mo as I expect to get my Pio AX5 shortly and will sort it out then.

4. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    No rush :smashin:

I might put a few pics of my stuff up when I get an IrDA cable for my phone. That will really confuse everybody!