1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

nice new wall

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Synchronicity, Nov 5, 2004.

1. Synchronicity

Synchronicity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    Sorry for going over old ground but just want to get as much advice as possible before this weekend.

After the most recent complaints to my landord about the noise my neighbours have succeeded in getting me some nice new soundproofing :laugh: .My landlord is basically going to soundproof the main wall,and replaster it leaving me with a nice new smooth as a babys bum wall that I can paint a new screen onto :smashin:

Is there a particularly fine kind of plaster that I should be requesting for that extra smooth finish?Is it the general consensus that the paint concoction mentioned in the thread below the best option?Would I be much better off using a spray gun as opposed to a roller?

I was going to paint a border but what about the different aspect ratios?

Oh,I can pretty much kill all the light that tries to enter the room :devil:

2. Mr.Brookes

Mr.Brookes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A standard skimmed plaster finish will give you an extremely smooth finish, it can be almost mirrored if troweled up enough althought this actually can be crap to paint as it can flake off in some cases. I assume that accoustic insulation will be fixed to the wall with a stud partition and plasterboarded? If so standard board finish will do the trick! Just ask the plasterer (nicely ;)) If he will do his best to make the wall finish as flat as possible! It may help if you tell him why otherwise he might just think your being fussy and moaning! Thats what id be thinking if someone asked me! :D

Hope that helped

Mr.B

3. Synchronicity

Synchronicity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    Cheers Mr B,

Yup,the soundproofing is basically as you described.I know the plasterer so he will do as good a job as he can.My mate actually has an electric spray gun as well,so I think Ill be getting him on the case to paint it.I am inclined to just go for the icestorm 6 and see how it looks. :smashin:

4. Solomon Grundy

Solomon Grundy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,516
    I got an awesome finish by rollering the paint on thickly and then smoothing the ripples out with an expensive paint pad, much easier than spraying and the finish is just as good according to my bro who owns his own car paint and bodyshop.

5. Darwock

Darwock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Those of you painting screens directly onto the wall - basic question but how on earth do you keep the edges straight? I would think you have to mask off the rest of the wall but how do you do that?

6. smerkderk

smerkderk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I used just a single strip of masking tape and painted inside that. To get the sides and top and bottom straight i just made a pencil mark on the wall and joined them up with a long spirit level, i.e. dot at top and bottom, place spirit level on first dot line up and draw, keeps everything straight.

Note that i used a roller and not spray

tip, buy the low tack adhesive tape and dont leave on wall for too long ( as it pulls of paper and paint!!! )
    Hope this helps

Cheers

7. Solomon Grundy

Solomon Grundy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,516
    I painted the whole wall, then projected the picture to get the exact size of the viewing area, then made a wide frame for the border.