1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

nice and black what you think 42pd3000 useing a pc

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by SLIM, Apr 15, 2004.

1. SLIM

SLIM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    so guys as what you think to the black on the screen i think it looks good but i was useing my pc to run it. I naw wont to get my salf a pc just to run films and stuff

(1) [​IMG]

(2) [​IMG]

(3) [​IMG]

(4) [​IMG]

(5) [​IMG]

(6) [​IMG]

2. SLIM

SLIM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    so guys im going to try out some othere films and see haw it gets on

3. Big Al

Big Al
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Looks good Slim,

How have you connected? Do you not get a similar black level when not using the PC?

I am more than happy with the blackness on our 42PD3000 & 32PD3000 displays

Big Al

4. SLIM

SLIM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Thanks i have my dvd running using comp cables
    and i just put the pc straight into the back of the tuner box and of it went 1024 x 768
    The black is the same on both the dvd as with the pc but i just think that some of the films i tried on the pc look nicer for some reason dont know why but there you go lol

5. Stiesto

Stiesto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Those photos highlight the gripe I had with my PD3000 (and how I was initially fooled by it).

BY THE WAY, IF YOU ARE HAPPY WITH YOUR PD3000, DON'T READ THE REST OF MY POST. IT MAY ALERT YOU TO SOMETHING YOU WEREN'T AWARE OF AND CAUSE YOU TO DISLIKE YOU PLASMA.

As you can see there, the set can get very dark blacks but its a bit of an illusion. You'll be surprised at just how much detail you're loosing in those pictures.

For instance, look at the garage door in that Jimmy Neutron shot. It's flat black and has no definition or detail. Look under the tree in the same shot which is another good example of blacks being flat.

I personally spotted it when setting the screen up using a THX set up disk. As I turned up the contrast to get it the optimum contrast and brightness points according to the disk, I realised that blacks really are a misty grey and the dark blacks I had before were actually due to the screen being set up wrong. If you have the blacks as, well black, the amount of dark, low end detail you are cutting off is quite staggering.

I guess the moral of the story is never use your eyes to set up a plasma screen (which you can get away with on a CRT), ALWAYS use a proper set up disk (and that goes for auditioning a plasma screen too). Otherwise you may be bluffed into thinking the set is better than it actually is.

6. SLIM

SLIM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Stiesto
    see what you mean it looks black in pic but thats down to the camera as when ure sitting here you see all the definition and detail's on the garage door i bean and teyed to get it to show up but i can not get it to i have taken 10 pics of the same spot and there all black buy one that looks crap but ill put the pic up
    i set my screen up useing the THX set up disk on the lion king dvd and T2 so screen is all set up right to my eyes ; ) but here this is the best pic i was able to take
    (1) [​IMG]