1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nic Rhodes

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Steve.EX, Jun 14, 2002.

1. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Nic.
    I, as you use 2 pairs of Tdm34's for side/back channels (movies only) and am wondering as regards the difference/performance of direct radiators on the back as opposed to my di-poles, i am thinking of perhaps a 200c (cannot justify a 2nd 202c) as i am now led to thinking in my own HC that a single quality back may in fact be the better option.
    I have noticed in a recent post of yours' that you have spent the time with various (2 and 1 and di/mono etc) back speakers and would appreciate your thoughts.
    Please bear in mind this is for movies only and our mutual admiration for the 34's.

regards

Steve.

P.s I also use an AV32R which is discrete enabled.

2. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    ^

3. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Steve

Just poking my nose in here. Is the Tag due to have an upgrade to THX ULtra 2 and its Music & Movie modes?? If so, then you´ll need two rear centre speakers as you cant engage this mode with only one rear centre. Just got my Denon back from the upgrade and Ultra2 Movie mode is superb.

I´m using Kef THX dipoles at the sides but only a pair of Q85´s as rear centres (limited space).

Cheers

Jase

4. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Jase
    As i understand it Tag are going to offer the Av32r the THX2 up-grade via the installing of a 2nd "new" super SHARC chip-set at the end of the year, it's good that you find THX2 to be an improvement as although not hearing it i have read a fair bit on this and from my understanding it "loosens" up the (read extra spacious-ness?) the sound field by being somewhat less "precise" in its effect localising which was something i was not to sure i would be so keen on.

Steve.

5. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    I´m still tinkering with it as only got it back yesterday but gave The Phantom Menace a go and theres definitely more spaciousness to the whole soundstage not just in the surrounds either but also at the front as though the whole room has opened up, its quite strange, but good enough for me to actually think bloody hell! this is great. :)

I´ve got to experiment with it over the weekend on different films but I´m very impressed. The new Sharc processors & new dacs have made quite a difference over the older version. Effects steering etc is superb.

As I said, I´ll try out all types of films over the weekend and in the different modes.

6. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Been travelling. Will work on an ansWer over weekend. Off again next week!

Don't normally not answer just takes a day or so! Bare with us.

7. AsillyCow

AsillyCow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ooh yes please

8. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Steve

Sorry for the delay, it has been a really busy time and I had a pile of other messages to answer for people.

Now you know why I bought your 23c! I have been having a bit of a play with things but basically everything is in bits here at the moment so isn’t easy.

I still rate out dipoles for movies, they work really well but with things with a high music content there may be a case for direct radiators as you have said. Well I have tried the single rear and I can’t say I was a great fan. I use the 23c which you know to be of good quality and matched to the dipoles. For me it just doesn’t seem to gel.

I prefer dual rear speakers and I think THX2 insist on this. I think this will change things dramatically so would hold off on any changes until we have our Tags THX2ed and know more. I am probably getting my new rears today which are Q15s (which I already use and like) but upgraded to the Ref 4 drivers to match my 200c / Ref 4s (like a RDM). These I will be able to swithch in or out of circuit with the dipoles (and c rear for comparison purposes). I think this will cover me for THX2.

The 34 dipoles are a seriously good speaker and it really takes some bettering. I am not sure a single rear will do that for you will create as many new problems for you as it solves. Hold off for now.

Dual rears, high quality speakers are the way to go. These are the most important things, only then do I get twitchy about speaker type. As your system is just for movies hold off on changes until we hear what THX2 does.

9. GaryG

GaryG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Steve

I have a 7.1 system based around the Lexicon DC1. The sides and rears were Q15's (with Ref 4 drivers, the ones Nic is coming to have a look at) which I have now replaced with 2 pairs of TDM34's.

For what it's worth I prefer the TDM's for films although for music use the Q15's were more appropriate. Having said that I'm not impressed with the quality of the standard drivers in the TDM's and will hopefully (KEF permitting!) be upgrading the drivers to match my Ref 4's as per my Q15's, so I think you have the 'right' combination for movies.

10. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Thanks gents, it would of taken some serious debating to replace my 34's, i guess the money will be better spent on the imminent sharc up-grade (which will undoubtably be expensive)

Steve

11. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pardon me for stepping in but I'm certainly not keen. All this 'Vague' spacious-ness is driving me potty. I think the whole thing sounds terrible myself. Not good for anything in my view.

12. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Your opinion. I quite like the spaciousness, gives the impression that the room is bigger than it actually is.:)