Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Nic Rhodes: How is your DVD32R now?

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by Chippy99, Jun 27, 2005.

1. Chippy99

Chippy99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +518
    The reason I ask is that a couple of weeks ago, my DVD32R died with *exactly* the same symptoms you described.

I only found this forum today, and I am very worried at what I have read. Especially in your thread:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186114

A couple of weeks back, my wife and I were watching a DVD when suddenly we got "computery" graphics all over the TV screen and the player just locked up completely. (By "computery", I mean like when a computer graphics cards ram fails and you get raw binary data dumped all over the screen.)

So I powered the unit off and started it up again. All seemed well for perhaps 10 minutes and then it locked up again. No graphics this time. I tried some CD's. They would play fine for a while - anywhere between 5 and 50 minutes and then the player will lock up. Nothing on the display, no response to the remote, nothing doing on screen and no audio.

The only other symptom is that sometimes the AV32 will also say "no sync link" whilst the CD is playing, which is not too encouraging.

I called IAG (which was hard to do since they had the answerphone on for 3 days!) to get an RMA number. But I have been reluctant to send it back for fear of the repair bill, which I figured given the £4000 purchase price, is going to be horrendous.

So before packing it all up and sending it off, I thought I would check it all out once more to make absolutely sure its defective (and that there is no chance maybe something else is causing it to crash - defective AV32R, bad power cable, whatever). So I disconnect everything and run it standalone for a while: It seems to be working OK..... So I connect it all back up again and its still working OK. Well at least so far. Fingers crossed. Its been behaving normally for about a week now.

The thing is, I was thinking of sending it back to IAG to get it checked out. But now I am frightened to do that in case (a) I don't see it again for a year and (b) maybe it will come back worse than it is now.

What to do? Did you get any satisfaction in the end?

My unit is way out of warranty (bought in 2001), so I am not adverse to opening it up and getting out the soldering iron, if that might save me an £800 repair bill. The way I figure it, if the repair cost is anywhere near £1,000 then the unit is effectively a write-off anyway :-(

Chip

2. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    Still inresolved, IAG are just completely silent with no attempt to communicate with me. I guess I am 'in the queue' .

Funny really, I set up the original thread as an attempt to document how things were going, to show IAG 'repairs' operating as a good unit with business as usual. [ie we only hear the poor stuff on forums] but IAG have covered themselves with glory with this one. As it stands I won't be recommending any products made by them in the future. If they **** me off any more I might even start reviewing some of their kit:)

Lost one good customer me thinks, shot themselves in the foot on this one.

3. edward

edward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Just make sure you print the reviews in Chinese - IAG has no interest in the Western markets.

I say this based upon the performance of the people they put into marketing roles.

Any if anyone thinks I'm being unduly harsh on certain individuals, I'll gladly apologise when they prove to be worth an apology - and the sooner that day comes, the better.

Frankly, I don't expect that day to be any time soon.

4. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    Hi Nic.
    I am also very disappointed with how you are being treated especially knowing that you were a TAG owner from the very early days like me and have stuck with the brand through some very "interesting" times...... It would be a real shame if we all end up with broken kit and "walk" due to some "appathy" by the new owners.....

5. Chippy99

Chippy99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +518
    I agree. I count myself in that camp too. My AV32R is number 37, so I have been a keen Tag fan right from the start. Still can't decide what to do with my DVD32R, especially since its decided it wants to work OK now.

Chip

6. laalves

laalves

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I have S/N 000090 and my T32R is S/N 000185.

But again, I'm a very recent TAG owner, although a Audiolab owner from quite a few years.

Keep it! And don't mess with it.

Luis