1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ni-MH or NiCad batteries?

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by mellow, Jun 5, 2003.

1. mellow

mellow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A bit off topic I know but:

I know that Ni-Mh batteries are better for high-drain equipment, like our digital cameras, but does this go for all battery-powered equipment?

I want to get more "eco-friendly" and replace the alkaline batteries (as they wear out) in the low-drain appliances round the house (clocks, remotes, etc). Can anyone comment whether the power characteristics of NI-Mh or NiCad are better for this type of device, or is there no real difference?

2. RobertP

RobertP
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If "eco friendly" is your motive then toxic Cadmium might be best avoided!
    Ni-Mh are your best bet. They have no memory effect so you can charge them when you feel like it. 2 points to bare in mind - the terminal voltage is 1.2V for rechargeables (alkaline etc are 1.5V) though most devices won't have a problem, and Ni-Mh do self discharge though it will be some months before they go flat sitting on a shelf (or inside a clock)

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,975
    Avoid NiCd. The 'memory effect' makes them unsuitable for any electronics where the battery is not fully discharged prior to the appliance cutting out. NiMH does not suffer this problem.