NHS Dentists. Whats it like in your area?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by the whistler, Apr 26, 2007.

1. the whistler

the whistler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    I don't have a problem with going to the dentist and have always visited my dentist regularly for checkups and treatment. A few years ago I moved house and signed up with a local dentist for NHS treatment. However after a couple of checkups, he kept cancelling my apppointments at very short notice which was very inconvenient as I had taken time off work. After this happened four times, I gave up and didn't bother making another appointment. I think he was just trying to ditch some of his NHS patients.

After a couple of years, I find I now need some treatment. Nothing urgent yet, but if left too long it will become a problem. However I have tried virtually every dentist in my local area and none of then will accept me as a new patient. Although the local NHS dentist web site list many of them as offering NHS treatment, the usual response I get is 'We are full at the moment - call back in a couple of months" Of course when I try a couple of months later its the same story. I have managed to get one dentist to put me on a waiting list with a possible appointment in about 2 - 3 months time.

I suppose my only option will be to go for private treatment, but the costs do concern me.

Just wondering if anyone else is having similar problems around the UK?

Anyone with experience of private charges and how they compare to NHS?

2. GBDG1

GBDG1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,260
    The nearest NHS dentist aaccepting new patients is 22 miles away from me and I live in a city centre.

If you phone up NHS direct they will tell you where your nearest dentist accepting patients is.

3. Bat-man

Bat-man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +525
    I eventually gave up with mine because of poor service and a very arrogant dentist.
    I now go private (but can only just afford it) and deeply resent having to pay towards NHS dentists from my wage each month!

4. Jenn

Jenn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,257
    I had to contact NHS direct for a dentist after a year on a waiting list with my local dentist who accepted my husband (because he was his patient in his youth) but not me.
    I have to go to the next big city which is only a few miles away so I don't complain too much, and they have good equipment and all.

5. Accylad

Accylad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +317
    Most of our NHS dentists have gone private. Mine just said either you are a private patient from now on or your are out :thumbsdow

Took me months to find a new one.

6. udsf

udsf
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    my dentist is just the same - and he's SUPPOSED to be a family friend

gets rid of NHS patients and tries to get everyone to go private:(

refuses to do any on call/out of hours/bank holiday work - so in an emergency his patients have to go to the NHS on call dentists

and they quite rightly hate him!

and he's an arrogant porker! - i need some serious dental work and he's referred me to the the local teaching hospital for them to do the 'groundwork' - then he will take over

i think his comment was along the lines of - 'i'm like an artist - i need a blank canvas to work with' - ******!!!

7. OldAndSenile

OldAndSenile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Having recently moved here, I'm disgusted to discover there isn't a single dentist taking on new NHS patients in the whole of West Yorkshire, and having spoken to NHS Direct and a few local dentists, this apparently isn't going to be resolved "in the next 18 months to two years".

So, either I have to drive over 75 miles for an appointment, or I have to go private and pay through the nose for treatment...

I'm so glad I pay a large chunk of my monthly earnings to fund something I'm not allowed to use!! :mad:

8. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,600
    In London for uni, but still registered in Manchester for dentist and GP. Not seen them in yeeeears. But to answer the Q, 10 min walk from my home in Blackley, Manchester. Nice and close :)

9. BandWidthJunkie

BandWidthJunkie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    I moved to a new area and couldn't find a NHS Dentist so I didn't bother registering.

In January 2006 I needed an emergency filling as a crown fell out so I registered with a private dentist.

The emergency filling cost £50 with a full assessment a month later costing £52.50.

The replacement crown cost £151.25 and another filling cost £78.75.

A final filling cost £115.50 and a the six monthly checkup cost £23.00.

The fillings I had where the more expensive white ones as they look better than the silver stuff.

Just an idea of the potential cost of private dentistry!

I have crap teeth :D because I never visited a dentist from about age 8 to 38 :eek:

10. Setenza

Setenza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    NHS dentist? Round here? Scarce as rocking horse droppings.

11. gus607

gus607

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +233
    My situation precisely.

12. cdrider

cdrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    There aren't any NHS Dentists in my area so I have to go private. I'm seriously thinking about sending the bills to No 10. I'm paying NI contributions for something I can't use. Can you imagine the uproar if a big company started taking money out of your bank account for a non-existant service :mad:

13. Pat_C

Pat_C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    You can pay a lot more than that for private dental treatment (as I know from bitter experience).

I think that by now, most dentists would have made enough to afford a peerage.

And yet that weasel Patricia Hewitt still insists that wherever she goes, people tell her how much better things are with the health service. It seems that her hearing is as defective as her policies.

14. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    My dentist is still doing NHS work :clap:

That's the reason he can only replace his M3 every 5 years :rotfl:

15. Phil57

Phil57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Fantastic NHS dentist in the town I live in, have managed to get two of my mates on to her list without any problem, that said, she will only accept Friends and families of existing patients.:thumbsup: