• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Nfs hot pursuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

[email protected]

I notice nfs hot pursuit now listed on the criterion web site. Couldn't see any pics/ info though.

[-]Has it been announced yet?[/-] Yes it has :)

- - - -

Info from E3 Launch

The game publisher Electronic Arts kick started its E3 press conference on Monday by unveiling details about its popular racing game franchise “Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit.”

As per game publisher, the new game will be online, cops versus racers gaming experience; developed by Burnout creators Criterion Games.

Gamers will have the option to either don the role of a cop or racer for a full career and can have their pick of any number of exotic cars in Hot Pursuit.

While providing the live demo of the game at EA, Hot Pursuit’s creative director Craig Sullivan said, "Our goal has been to create cops vs. racers pursuits that are so fun, fast and exciting it really brings to life the adrenaline and intensity of the high speed cop pursuit experience with your friends."

There will be a new feature called Need For Speed Autolog that will allow gamers to compare their several records with individual friends.

The “Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit” is slated to be released on Nov. 16, and will be available on PC, PlayStation 3, Nintendo Wii and Xbox 360. As per EA, Criterion is not developing NFS—Hot Pursuit’s Wii version.

Preview of new 'NFS Hot Pursuit'
Before starting the game, players will have to pick whether they want to play the full season as a good cop chasing speeding racing cars or be a race driver, who’s main goal is to win races, collect points and of course avoid being caught by the cops.

As a racer, player has no obligation to follow the rules; breaking speed limits, dodging traffic as well as cops cars etc will be their territory.

The “Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit” is slated to be released on November 16, and will be available on PC, PlayStation 3, Nintendo Wii and Xbox 360.

However, as per Sullivan, police cars are powerful, faster and would not be damaged easily.

"We want the racer to feel like the rabbit, and the cop to feel like the dog," said Sullivan.

About 'Need For Speed' games
Need For Speed (NFS) is a popular racing video game franchise published by Electronic Arts EA. Till date NFS has been developed by several studios, though, originally it was developed by Canadian-based company Distinctive Software.

But after its purchase in 1991 by Electronic Arts, it was renamed into Electronic Arts (EA) Canada. The Need For Speed series first debuted in 1994 in North America, Japan and Europe and were exclusive to the fifth generation consoles.

Gameplay in all the NFS series stays the same. The player is required to race the car in different levels of races and the main goal is to win the race.

So far sixteen different games have been released in the hit Need For Speed series; out of which six were developed by EA Canada, and two were developed by European-based video game developer Eden Games.

Last edited:

Magus

Excellent news. NFS HP was one of my favourite NFS titles & one of my most enjoyed games on the playstation platform back in the day. I remember picking it up from cash converters for a couple of quid & it was the best £2 I have ever spent in my life! The attention to detail was great, for eg. you would race in France, Italy Germany & depending on the regions the police cars were printed as they would be & the radio chat was in that language. Also remember it had slight cosmetic damage on the vehicles too.

Also glad Criterion have landed this, do like their games & the development team have a bias towards the Playstation platform so won't be any lazy port. In fact the demo they were playing was on the PS3 & looks absolutely :smashin:

p9ul

Distinguished Member
Been looking forward to this and really can't wait now. :D

Burnout online was epic, this looks even better - Criterion's sense of humour looks to be evident with that Veyron cop-car :rotfl:

I'm actually forward to playing as a cop now rather than a racer!

[email protected]

Strange thing is the first things I was thinking of was more free DLC and hours and hours of my life online against everyone from here like the burnout days :)

Magus

I wonder if all the game modes are one on one or whether there will be modes of 3/4 cops vs 1 racer or 3/4 cops vs 3/4 racers or 1 cops vs 3/4 racers.

Darth_terra

Distinguished Member
I wonder if all the game modes are one on one or whether there will be modes of 3/4 cops vs 1 racer or 3/4 cops vs 3/4 racers or 1 cops vs 3/4 racers.

The video only showed one mode I would guess other modes would be more than one on one, well the first hot pursuit which i have on the PC had more than one racer on the road at a time.

for online if they can get 8 players as they do with burnout then that would be a good size with half been cops and half being the racers.

p9ul

Distinguished Member
The video only showed one mode I would guess other modes would be more than one on one, well the first hot pursuit which i have on the PC had more than one racer on the road at a time.

for online if they can get 8 players as they do with burnout then that would be a good size with half been cops and half being the racers.

7 V 1 would be more like burnout's style, probably be a game mode where you start with one cop, and it's a case of getting a "takedown" on the racers if you pardon the expression to turn them into a cop - last racer left is the winner, Last Man Standing.

Found it funny that demo they ran had Mr Sullivan listed as "Sargeant" - if you've watched any of Criterion's Crash TV podcasts you might have spotted it - was expecting Websterhoff too but no joy... :rotfl:

Nuggsy

I've got my eye on this one - Criterion did amazing things with Burnout Paradise!

Lancia34

Distinguished Member
Apparently there is no cockpit view..which sucks :thumbsdow

But then it is more arcade than simulation. There is a bumper view and bonnet view but as with Burnout, due to the speed of these cars the view from behind is probably the best and easiest to control :p

Heroik

But then it is more arcade than simulation. There is a bumper view and bonnet view but as with Burnout, due to the speed of these cars the view from behind is probably the best and easiest to control :p

True that! Still should be a good game i guess.

Stephen Carter

AVF Games Reviewer
If this is anything like the version that was on PS1 then this will be excellent, there was no better thing at the time than belting it round Durham evading a mate who was playing as the cops for hours on end. Hope its as balanced as it was then too

addyb

Distinguished Member
If this is anything like the version that was on PS1 then this will be excellent, there was no better thing at the time than belting it round Durham evading a mate who was playing as the cops for hours on end. Hope its as balanced as it was then too

Yeah the original was brilliant. I have high hopes for this! The footage so far looks excellent.

Stephen Carter

AVF Games Reviewer
This is probably the most anticipated NFS for me as i wasnt a great fan of the other titles (Pro Street etc) but this will be a definite purchase if it lives up to expectations

Lancia34

Distinguished Member
re 3d, will it be ps3 or xbox as well that has a patch? where did u hear this? anywhere official? cheers

Atm I think only PS3 is doing 3D anything. PS3 is also the lead platform, like with most titles nowadays (especially EA). I'm currently not too bothered about 3D in this or any game...though I am starting to look for a new TV so might take the plunge into that extra dimension :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom