NFL fans look here-- :(

T

thebulletz2

I asked sky about this seasons nfl. If we will be seeing it in HD and this is the response.
"Unfortunately, we have no information at present with regard to this being broadcast in HD.
Please allow me to explain that due to technical issues, we are currently unable to provide HD coverage of overseas sports. It is of course something that is being worked on, so as time progresses we will be able to offer events from overseas in HD. However, time scales are not available at the present time
"
So sounds like its a no go for this season!!!

That's very dissapointing:(

I was really hoping for that, bearing in mind that sky sports HD has been around for a few weeks and that the season doesn't start until sept. Maybe it's an issue with piping that amount of info on a live basis. Saying that the notion of distance being relevant seems old fashioned - you would have thought it would be as easy as showing wimbledon. I would have been happy with a few minutes delay.

Saying that, i was assuming that TW would have SS HD by then, which of course is a totally different subject....

I wonder if we will get widescreen or stuck with 4:3 ? I get the impression that it's 4:3 or Hd and no Sd wide.

Its all down to cost. Or more accurately, satellite cost.
NFL does not generate enough viewers to warrant the cost of renting 6 times the bandwidth for the broadcast of the HD signal compared to SD. Maybe, just maybe the ashes might be the first live overseas HD broadcast, but I'd doubt it.

That's funny. i thought the WC was in Germany. If they can do it from germany, why not the US ?

The NFL and NBA are the main sports I want to see in HD apart from Footie. I really hope they sort it out even if not for the start of the season but by the play off's.

wandersen said:
That's funny. i thought the WC was in Germany. If they can do it from germany, why not the US ?

WC was not transmitted via sattelite. BBC/ITV used the standard Euro wide tv cabling networks already in place, or in some cases direct transmission.

There are undersea atlantic cabling that can be used for tv broadcasts, but they are actually more expensive than using satellite as they charge per megabyte of digital data, rather than analogue time.

I too would love to see HD nfl. Dont think it will be soon though. Maybe for the superbowl, who knows?

Mmm..I emailed Sky about the US Open Tennis, and they gave the same reply, what a shame.

Australian open is by Eurosports, no luck there, but the final is from BBC so maybe.
And Roland Garos was also filmed in HD, so just maybe!

If they can send the 2006 WC to the US in HD then I would have thought bringing NFL/NBA here in HD shouldnt be a problem (technically anyway) Just the cost. I hope they sort something out by the time the season starts, even if it just one game a week I would be happy!

bbdivo said:
If they can send the 2006 WC to the US in HD then I would have thought bringing NFL/NBA here in HD shouldnt be a problem (technically anyway) Just the cost. I hope they sort something out by the time the season starts, even if it just one game a week I would be happy!

Finances rule the way - the World Cup was a massive financial cart horse, unforunately the NFL and other US sports don't have anywhere near the same potential here :(

This is a shame, seeing as a lot of the NFL games are filmed in HD.

ashmufc said:
Australian open is by Eurosports, no luck there, but the final is from BBC so maybe.

Unlikely, this year was the first year it was transmitted widescreen in Australia, albeit filmed in SD, and the relevant network over there, Seven, uses 576p as their "High Definition" standard.

Although most sport is now widescreen in Australia, despite a couple of the main networks using 1080i, there is virtually no sport covered in widescreen.

Sorry for misleading everyone. Thought I read something about the Ashes in HD. Very dissapointing if not.

MDX said:
Isnt the Champions League going to be broadcast in Full HD ?

If so will this not be the first Oversea's HD Sport :)

Not certain yet. Uk based games will be in HD. Probably.

The away games are not all going to be filmed in HD.

bbdivo said:

Liewise with Wimbledon, which was broadcast in the US in HD.

wandersen said:
Liewise with Wimbledon, which was broadcast in the US in HD.
Actually Wimbledom was not broadcast in HD in the US. I don't know why.

I think it may take awhile for US sports to broadcast to the UK. Currently with only about 40,000 HD customers in the UK and maybe only 5% would watch the broadcast, Sky or someone would probably have to subsdise the transmission costs since advertising would have a hard time justifying that cost.

It would be great if the NFL was in HD. I used to listen to the 'Niners on the Armed Forces Radio Network from when I was a kid until the internet caught up. Now we have live radio coverage of the games every week. HD would be a great next step.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom