1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NFL 2K3 on Xbox....a review.

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Bristol Pete, Apr 21, 2003.

1. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    NFL 2k3 is fantastic. Having played American Football games since Madden on the Mega drive, I can clearly state that this is the best rendition of gridiron yet. Graphically, it is on a par with Madden on the x-box, with both games looking great, but I think Segas game pips Madden. The player models are accurate with all shapes and sizes present and the uniforms are spot on. The pitch textures on 2K3 are amazing, zooming in on a replay I found that the grass actually looks like grass, aka Halo, and the Astroturf looks like it should.
    The grounds cut up better in Madden than in 2K3 and I would say the players get dirtier in the rain on Madden. But 2K3 offers features such as clouds passing overhead, thus creating shadows on the pitch, and when playing in places such as Buffalo and Chicago, the snow falls and whips around the stadia very lifelike. There are lots happening it the stadiums, with the sidelines busy and the impressive 3d crowd interacting.

The play-by-play commentary easily surpasses Madden stunted chat, with the ESPN commentary team discussing everything that happens, and even talking about plays two or three moves earlier. The on the fly replays work a treat and the commentators even circle the standout players and discuss the plays, aka Andy Grey on sky sports. Player history also gets discussed, and you can learn about individual players from the ESPN team.

Gameplay wise, it is excellent. Much like every other NFL game, the buttons correspond to a player on screen, and running with the ball or passing is intuitive. The digital pad allows for a deft pass when a tap is used, and a bullet pass can be achived with a firm press. There is a shed load of quality animations on offer and no two plays look the same, with 'real' tackles flying and wrap around manhandling clearly present.( much better than Maddens dive and hope to hit them theory). As of yet, I am unable to find a 'money' play that can repeated time and time again with success. Even trying the same passing play twice resulted in an interception from the D and the commentary team accusing my team of not mixing things up a little.

In summary I would say that this is better than Madden, not by much, but to me, it edges Madden out in the game play and the accute attention to detail. The CPU teams actually want to win on easy and they use the clock well, running time down if and when required. At first, the running animation did not look as good as madden but now I love it and it looks great. Yesterday, playing as the Raiders, the cardinals took me into over time using the ball well, turned me over and as soon as they got into kicking range, let rip and won the game. This was on easy. Had I been playing Madden, the I would have put something like 57-0 on the scoreboard.

If you already own madden the buy this as well, as both warrant owning. However, if you want one NFL game go for this.

The Madden series has evolved over the years, in the process giving games like QuarterBack Club and NFL2K3. To me the game play within Madden has remained the same, with play books staying the same year after year.

To sum it up, NFL2K3 has the game play and the stunning graphics to boot. Buy it, you will love it. I know I do.

I have not played it on X-box live. However, live enabled gamers are in for a treat. 'Get the popcorn in love. Its gonna be a long night.' :devil:

Regards,

Captain Benefit

2. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +932
    Just got this via a swap - canty wait to get my teeth into it. How did you find the online games?

nb: Was in HMV today and saw it had a 2 for £30 sticker on it - now you have no excuse!

3. Drunken Master

Drunken Master

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I brought it today, first impressions are very positive, better than Madden 2003!!.

Gonna practice vefore heading in to the online games!!

4. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +932
    I loaded it this afternoon and I must say what I've seen so far I'm impressed. Its the little things...

"Does anybody want a cold beer?" coming from the side lines while you're practising made me smile.

The amount of buttons you have to remember:eek:

5. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm trying to save money here people! :mad:

Seriously, I'm gonna have to drop down to HMV and try to find it in the 2 for £30 bin. (it's not there in the online store) Looks and sounds like a great game.

6. Drunken Master

Drunken Master

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    This game is fast taking over my life, I love it to bits!!

Nearly ready to take of those damn yanks

7. Drunken Master

Drunken Master

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Captain Benefit, was your gamer tag, I gonna be playing online tonight!!