Nexus 7 vs iPad Mini

gino_76ph

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi there!

I am looking to buy a tablet this holiday season and i do not know which to choose.

The Nexus 7 specs-wise is a beast and size seems very ideal for travelling, etc. Having Android phones in the past and an HTC Sensation i would be very familiar and would feel at home with the OS. And its quite cheap.

The iPad Mini (current codename) however isn't out yet but all rumours/whispers/news/spy shots suggest a September announcement and a much smaller screen size and i'm predicting specs similar to the "new" iPad. I miss having an iPad. had the 2nd-gen 3 months ago and have bought many paid apps & games and i feel it would be a shame if i just waste all of it and forget about it. A predicted price of at least £50 more than the Nexus 7 but again its still difficult to say.

But when it comes to practicality would you go for the N7 or wait for the much smaller iPad?

I plan to use my tablet as surfing the net, uploading photos, simple note taking, checking news/weather, Youtube, watching videos and i would like to say as a gaming console rather than buy say an expensive PS Vita as games on the App Store tend to be a lot cheaper than portable consoles.

What you think guys?

The iPad mini (if it exists) would interest me but I wanted to get a tablet now as I've held off for ages. The obvious choice was the new iPad but I figured I wouldn't use it that much other than for casual surfing and as a remote for XBMC and my Squeezebox. So far, I'm very impressed. It's very snappy and the screen quality is excellent. When/If the iPad mini arrives, I'll take a look at it but until then, I will enjoy my Nexus 7.

Edit glad I bought the nexus 7!!!!!!!

Last edited:
You seem to be wanting people to compare the Nexus 7 with a product that does not currently exist ???? :)

Any fortune tellers on here who can help lol (only joking btw!)

I'm sorry.

But if we compare the Nexus 7 (with Android 4.1) with the previous-gen iPad 2 but with iOS6 how will the two compare?

gino_76ph said:
I think we'll have to wait and see i suppose.

Yep. If the iPad mini has the same specs as the full sized one, it will be the best one to get, but who knows if they will cut anything else as well as the screen size?

I have got a full size iPad which is great, but I am looking for something that fits in a coat pocket as the iPad never leaves the house due to size/weight.

Where the Nexus 7 scores for me is weight and price. Apple will no doubt build a iPad mini hewn from glass and aluminium which will feel great but weigh twice as much as the Nexus. I can't see the Apple machine coming in at less than £250, otherwise it would leach too many sales from the full sized iPad.

A £250 iPad Mini is a practical prize for that 7-inch size. As much as Apple think of themselves as still the "top doh" of OSes and tablets they need to consider that the competition (and the competitors) are getting stronger by each day.

Superior specs like that of the Nexus 7 and the new Kindle Fire HD sells below £200 and the size is just right.

If Apple sells an ipad Mini with specs similar to the iPad 3 then it would trigger another tablet war IMO.

I'm still an Android fan. But iOS 6 is very tempting.

296507d1330619689-iphone-5-rumours-yes-analysts-work-already-fortune-teller.jpg

According to PcAdvisor the Ipad Mini will be announced next week & could be on sale the week after or by the end of the month

Let me put this into perspective...the trouble with the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 is the so-so battery life, the UI overlayed to Android OS is very similar to an iPad and the below average screen resolution. so, yes you might be right in saying that its not up to par yet. The top dog right now is still Nexus 7 & the iPad. Until that mythical iPad Mini comes. Even so i still prefer Android OS than that failure called iOS6.

i would prefer a slightly larger screen. Anything from 7.7"-8.0". Beyond that i think it is bigger. It would be interesting to know more about the Lenovo 2107, any "update" to the current Tab 2 lineup or even the upcoming Archos XS 8' tab.

Am pretty sure I will get the Ployer Momo 8 IPS,it is 8" ,great specs,Android Jellybean,fully licensed Google Play & only£115 from GTR Electronics who get good reviews.Agree with Gino,8" is about the right size & for the price you could use it & if you wanted an Ipad sized tablet you could give this to someone as a gift & pay £165 for the bigger one,& as someone pointed out,all tablets are made in China

Nothing wrong with "Made in China" tablets but as long the specs are "up to speed" to today's dual-core/quad-core standards, have the official Google Play Store, have bluetooth (aha...not all of them do that is why they managed to keep the prices down. i've checked!), have no embedded chines apps in them (which will be quite difficult to remove unless you know how to JB or root them), have a UK customer service support number and a clear warranty/returns option.

I'm now gearing more towards a realy good, hi-spec, first class Android tab like the Nexus 7 or the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0. Seen the specs of the the upcoming Acer Iconia A110 and the Lenovo S2107 and they are good albeit the low screen resolution.

Heard that the ICS 4.0 update for the rather good Motorola Xoom 2 Media Edition is now live but i don't know if that info is accurate.

The above tablet has all you mentioned from Gtr Electronics & I think he gets rid of any Chinese apps before he sends them out( going on reviews i've read for this supplier),he is the only official Uk distributor & gets 5* reviews.At £115 for this the guy at PcWorld said he'd snap their hand off for these specs.Also supports Hd & 3D outs for your Tv

I see. The Ployer Momo8 IPS specs seems impressive and its seems too good to be true and i have some doubts:

1. The Amazon UK link says it has official Google Play Store. Has the store been "put" there" or is it officially there? (if you know what i mean)

2. The GPU might be "quad-core" but is it really quad-core with 4 Mali cores in there? Is it single or dual channel? What's the frequency (Ghz) of the cores? And will it support / be compatible with ALL apps downloaded from the Play Store? (if we are talking about the GPU)

3. Speakers. No mention of speakers. And if there are speakers (which i hope there are) are they dual and are they stereo? Are they loud enough?

4. Bluetooth. Do they support sending files to another device and can you connect 3rd-party peripherals like keyboard, mice or speakers to it?

5. Chines apps. Someone mentioned it amongst the Amazon reviews that they cant seem to delete it as it looks like it has been "embedded" onto the tablet. That is annoying.

6. IPS screen maybe but the overall screen resolution is lower than a Nexus 7 and equal (?) to an iPad 2 which came out last year. Screen is 4:3 which is a backward, 20th century thing. 16:9 is the future. Who still uses, watches on a 4:3 screen except for iPad lovers.

7. OS. Will the tablet be having software updates now & again from Google or its "makers"?

8. Battery life. For a few more quid (£179.99 last time i checked today) i could get an 8.2" Motorola Xoom 2 Media Edition which has a slightly bigger/16:9 screen, a far stronger battery life and from a "well-known" manufacturer. The advertised battery life of the Ployer tab is poorer than the iPad 2 and the Nexus 7.

9. Promo video. there are no other unboxing/hands-on/review on the internet which isn't helpful.

10. Wifi - Does it support "N" standard and is it dual-channel?

Any comment?

I have emailed GTR electronics and this is what i have found in addition to what the specs are telling us:

1. GPU - it is indeed quad-core (like the Nexus 7) but they didn't specify (when i asked) whether its a dual-channel or a single channel. They cannot "guarantee compatibility" in terms of apps & games though.

2. Bluetooth - they confirmed that you can connect wireless products like speakers, etc.

3. Battery life is only between 4-6 hours.

4. They also cannot guarantee future updates like Jelly Bean, etc.

5. Speakers are only single and is NOT stereo

6. There are some chinese apps installed but are "supressed".

7. They didn't state whether the Wifi is dual-channel or not

8. Didn't clarify on how to exactly upload/transfer files from one PC/Mac to the device.

9. No dedicated UK/EU Tech or Customer support details

10. Unclear/unwritten warranty or returns policy

Not looking good?

Thank you but i am more inclined towards a sub-£200 Android 4/4.1 8" screen tablet now.

I thought the Nexus 7 is just a tad small and i still think an 8" screen is the ideal and most practical to go for.

Gtr Electronics website has just advertised the Momo 8 IPS will be in stock 17th October,it also has more information on the device,it is a Jelly bean device for £115!!It has great specs for the price & I have only seen one bad review from someone who bought it direct from China.Gtr get great reviews even from people who bought from someone else,but. who Gary has given good advice to

The specs look impressive but still not convinced the fact that it is only 4-6 hours battery life, a 4:3 aspect ratio, no assurance of further Jelly Bean updates, no information on noise cancellation whilst doing Skype or listening to movies, no info on any software-enhancing surround sound whilst watching movies and the fact that it only has 1 speaker and it is NOT stereo.

Would rather stick to a Galaxy Tab 7.7 or Xoom 2 Media Edition. 7-inch screen is just a bit small for me.

Last edited:
What do you want for £115,when I showed it to the chap in PcWorld he said for those specs it's a bargain!! You'll be lucky to get all the specs you want for sub£200 & this is nearer to £100

Well, following the Mac rumours that have been mentioned, the iPad Mini may not come with a retina screen, which is not worth the money. However I believe the device IF it get's announced will come with an A5 SOC like the new iPod Touch, the new Lightning connector, a retina screen display possibly, and storage from 16GB. And I cannot see it costing less then £300 and up considering the new iPod Touch STARTS from £249.
It will be better quality then the Nexus 7 but then again I've seen many iPad horror story's.

But device aside, the REAL difference is in the operating system and ethos and the eco system. It really depends on what you want from a device?

Whatever the iPad Mini rumours you have heard i would take it with a pinch of salt. At the moment it stands at £200 for a "base" 8GB model. Specs i'm not interested anymore as i think Android still gives me the best of what i need/want in a tablet.

I think the Nexus 7 is one hell of a beast of a tablet. But there seems to be more (of the same) issues thats' bothering me.

1. Quality control - issues of screen "lifting" on the side bezels, freezing, multitouch issues, buttons not working and muffled/mono-ish speakers sound is been around the net and Youtube lately. Not a good sign for Asus/Google. Yes you got all the warranty/returns thing and the Asus tech support number but its a slight turn-off.

2. Screen - I still think the ideal screen size of a tablet (based on computing the most common today including the ipad) is anything between 7.7" to 8.4". That's not scientific btw. It was just my rough calculations. I really think 7" is sill a tad small. And besides the blacks and the contrast are not that sharp and clear on the N7 compared to say the Retina display or a Super AMOLED screen.

I was trying to compare the Nexus 7 with the slightly older Galaxy Tab 7.7 which has very decent specs till now and albeit the still high price tag i am kinda liking Sammy's tablet more. Its got a bigger screen (which would translate to better viewing whatever the resolution it has), a microSD card slot, a bigger & better battery life, a decent camera, very good audio output and overall very good look, feel and build.

Would an older but efficient CPU & GPU (like the Tab 7.7) be a problem with regards to apps and games?

Hmm, 8GB storage for an iOS device is nothing, I had 16GB on my iphone 4 and was consistently running out of room, it's why I went to 32GB with my iPhone 5. It will be interesting to see what Apple does but I think it will be too expensive.

As for your Sammy choice, I would say the 8" is a good size, seen one before and thought it wasn't too big or small.

The 7" Galaxy Tab 2 is not worth it as you loose screen resolution and power in the CPU and GPU. The 8.9" seems to have a dual core processor? Not sure about the power of that as some places say it's a Tegra 2 and others a TI Omap, but I do know the Galaxy tab 10.1 Note is wicked powerful, it benchmarks higher then the Asus Infinity, but is also expensive! It uses Samsungs own Exynos SOC which is supposed to be extremely good, but it seems only Samsungs smartphones use it apart from the Note 10.1

So maybe it's worth waiting for a revision of the Galaxy 8.9" to see if it gets the Exynos? The 7.7 is a bit old now and I think overpriced. Another option for you, once they come back on sale, may be Sony's Xperia Tablet S? It has the same Tegra 3 SOC as the Nexus 7 but most likely a better screen and build, it is a 9.4" screen however but is water resistant, (it's been removed from sale due some gaps in the build letting water in, once sorted it will be on sale again) , it also has memory expansion so you can get he lowest memory model.
Doesn't come with JB though but I expect they'll update it:

Xperia

All the latest rumours point to a £200 price point for the 8GB iPad mini which is a shame. Unless Apple decide miraculously to include a microSD card slot. We'll have to wait and see this Tuesday.

I could write off the Tab 2 7.0 because of the lower-res screen and a slower CPU/GPU. I agree the Tab 7.7 is old but in today's standards the CPU & GPU is still very much capable. Major downside is the price. If it goes down to £250 or below then i might consider buying one.

The Xoom 2 Media Edition again seems to have the "ideal" screen size but downsides are the older CPU & GPU. Build and sound quality though seems to be the only positives you can get out of it.

Sony Xperia Tab's i think are generally good. Specs are decent. But are overpriced. If they can lower the base 16GB model down to £229 (at least!) then they have a winner.

Went to a PC World today and had a try on the 4.1.2-powered Nexus 7. I can hold it in one hand. The screen is fine for a tablet. Speakers sound seems fairly good as well considering the place is a bit noisy with all the people and TV's turned on. I know it might be a display/demo model i noticed that when you pressed on the side bezels there is some white coloured screen bleeding.

Is this normal? Poor quality control? Coincidence?

What do you think?

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom