Nexus 5 User Opinions

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by Dan Turner, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Dan Turner

Dan Turner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi all,

It's upgrade time for me and I got sick of dealing with phone companies offering me contracts I don't need for too much money so I'm planning on buying a phone outright and going SIM only contract.
    I have had my eye on the Nexus 5 for a while and at the moment it's £240 in CarphoneWarehouse for the 16GB version so unless I hear a good reason not to I will probably go and buy it tonight.
    My current phone is the Sony Xperia S so pretty much anything will be an upgrade. I've read the reviews etc but I just wanted some actual user experiences (good or bad) so I'm aware of problems. I've seen a couple of issues have been floating around already which is good to be aware of.

Thanks

Dan

2. everett_psycho

everett_psycho
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,620
    Check the nexus 5 thread, it's 1000 posts with a lot of owners. Personally I just grabbed one in the carphone warehouse deal and it's awesome so far, I came from a nexus 4 so knew what I was getting. Main things are it's plain android, some find that too plain but you can make it whatever you want. There's been some rattly button issues and yellow tinted screen troubles but just return it if you get a dud one. If you can live without SD cards get one, I'd recommend a 4g unlimited data contract as it negates the need for the expendable storage.

3. Dan Turner

Dan Turner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Apologies, I didn't know there was a Nexus 5 section. I did read a few posts so knew about the buttons and screen issue. The microphone one was what I was most worried about but don't know how common that it. I've lived without SD for ages, don't tend to keep that much with me. I'm going to go on a 1GB data plan.
    The guy at CPWH said within 28 days they'll just do a straight swap if there is a problem, otherwise i'll have to send it away to be assessed.

4. Theseus

Theseus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +906
    No problem at all with my N5 whatsoever. If you're after a phone with above average battery life look elsewhere. For the price nothing comes close - looks good, great screen, quick and efficient UI, no bloatware, feels good in the hand.

5. huwsparky

huwsparky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    The main thing i like about nexus devices is the lack of crap on them showing them down.

The N5 and N4 really feel very quick and are very good value. Would be reasonable value @ £500 compared to some other phones.

No brainer at the money, just get one!

6. shahedz

shahedz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,950
    In the last 12 months, I've gone firm iPhone 4S >Samsung s4> nexus 5. In my opinion nexus 5 is the best of the lot. The Samsung would have been a great phone if it didnt have the samsung software slowing it down . The nexus is a great phone , shame about the fact you can't expand the memory ,but besides that it's great.

7. sigur

sigur

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    How does the battery compare to the other phones you have owned recently ?

8. Dan Turner

Dan Turner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Sorry for being quiet guys, I went and bought the phone and am very happy with it.
    I've had one or two teething issues (CoPilot seems to have a couple of problems with it). I personally haven't had any problems with battery life, I get home from work with still half a charge remaining and even under what I class as heavy use it lasts the day.
    My major concern with it is the camera lense. I'm not a fan of how it protrudes and it makes me a bit anxious when I put it down, but I'm ordering a case so that should help the problem.
    Overall I love the phone, and for the money it is impossible to regret buying it.

9. marko79

marko79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Hi I got this phone few weeks ago and love it but its developed a strange issue.

Basically when I set a Wallpaper on my Nexus 5 regardless of what application used to set it (Default or 3rd Party) the wallpaper works great for about an hour, then after that when i enter and exit applications the wallpaper jumps around the the homescreen. Like it will zoom in then out, or shift to the right leaving a black square for about a minute then jump back.

Anyone else experience this or know what's causing it?

10. everett_psycho

everett_psycho
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,620
    I do use qi, it's really a useful feature but I'm still trying to work out where the coil is so I can find the sweet spot on the charging pad

11. enablerbro1

enablerbro1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    With the new flagship phones coming out from rival manufacturers, I have to say that I haven't seen anything that would have me itching to switch from my N5. The new HTC One looks very nice and I like the tricksy camera but not for the £100s extra cost. I can only imagine that I'd trade up for extra screen real estate, so maybe the Note4 or a new Sony Ultra might float my boat. A windows phablet running full win8.1 might be of interest from Nokia unless apple to pull something out of their sleeve ... but I doubt it. Nexus 6 with a 6.something screen or maybe LGs G3.

... or maybe Amazon's kindle phone might shake things up. Would be cool if Amazon follow Google's path and offer high specs at a discounted price.

12. Alps

Alps

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +445
    Has anyone tried the eBay app on their 5? If so, did it work?

Mine won't allow you to type anything in the search option!

13. marko79

marko79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Mine works fine ?

14. Alps

Alps

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +445
    Are you rooted?

I'm rooted and running stock ROM. Maybe that could be a reason.

15. marko79

marko79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Unrooted