Nexus 4 replacement with great camera

springtide

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK I've had my Nexus 4 for a while now and looking for an upgrade.

I love the Nexus 4 and the latest (generic) Android, quickest updates etc, but the camera isn't great and is pretty slow by today's standards.

The obvious replacement sticking with Vanilla Android is the Nexus 5, but wondering whether I should consider the HTC customised HTC One M8 or maybe the Sony Z1 or Z2 to get a better camera.

I used to have a FF DSLR but got bored carrying it around... I have a Sony NEX camera as a replacement, but the majority of the time I'm not carrying that either, or my selection of compact cameras, which makes me think I should maybe just get a phone with the best camera even though they are not a patch on a dedicated one... as the say, the best camera is the one you have on you all of the time.

Anyone been in a similar situation? Looking for an Android device as not interested in moving to an iPhone or Windows8.

I am interested to know how you get on.

I am toying with a similar upgrade, from an iphone 4s to new android with a better camera.

Currently thinking about the Samsung s5, since it has a SD card reader, which the Nexus 5 is missing and I think so is the HTC One M8.

I am interested to know how you get on.

I am toying with a similar upgrade, from an iphone 4s to new android with a better camera.

Currently thinking about the Samsung s5, since it has a SD card reader, which the Nexus 5 is missing and I think so is the HTC One M8.

M8 takes an SD card but the camera isn't great

Ah yeah, that is why I had written it off on my list.

The OnePlus One looks like a serious option, considering its insane price, if it really is launched in a few weeks time.

I recently replaced my N4 for exactly the same reason, the camera is just awful. I opted for the N5 and it's a big improvement. The N4 was great in all other aspects and I would have happily kept it for another year if the camera was better.

I've had the n4 as well as the iphone 5s, htc one, s4 and now the n5. The n5 camera is better than i expected, if i'm honest. As good as most of those if i'm honest. Which is nice as i wasn't expecting much...

Ive just got an s5 and it takes cracking photos
Well friend, firstly I would like to congratulate you to be a owner of Samsung S5. But I have gone through the internet and read the reviews of different mobiles similar to S5. Two mobile phones were competing in the market, that are Samsung S and Sony Xperia Z2. After that I made a comparison of both and fascinatingly I found that Sony Z2 is having ample features whereas S5 lacks few features in the same price range. And talking about its camera, Z2 is installed with 20.7 mega-pixel camera where as S5 is having only 16 mega-pixel camera. So I think that S5 lacks behind Xperia Z2 under same price range.

Pixels are not everything, like on an slr, you could have billions of pixels but if the optics are crap then you might as well have one....

Pixels are not everything, like on an slr, you could have billions of pixels but if the optics are crap then you might as well have one....
But pixels do matter. crappy optics might be a case but a camera is more considered on the basis of its pixel quality. As you are talking, the variation in optics can be very little. But pixels make a big variation in between two different pixel cameras. And most Important, different portals available for information gives review on the basis of cameras pixels. So cameras megapixel value is more to be considered.

The more pixels you cram onto a camera sensor the less light / detail each individual pixel can capture as the pixels have to be smaller to accomodate the sensor size... and most camera phones have a similar sized sensor:

Z2 - 20.7MP - 1/2.3”
Nexus 5 - 8MP - 1/3.2"
GS5 - 16MP - 1/2.6"
HTC M8 - Dual 4MP - 1/3"
iPhone 5S - 8MP - 1/3"

Not much in it is there, yet the iPhone 5S arguably still takes the best photo out of all of them despite only being 8MP.

Quality of optics (lens) and image processing chip makes a difference too obviously, but mega pixels alone do not make a better camera... be it in on a phone, point and shoot or DSLR.

I agree that most "review sites" (especially phone sites) do go on and on about mega pixels, but that's because most people don't know anything about cameras and how they work! They just see a large MP count and assume that bigger is better. Mega Pixels are Snake Oil marketing basically.

There's a whole lot more to it that than so if you want to know more I suggest Googling "the mega pixel myth" and read a few articles on the subject.

The more pixels you cram onto a camera sensor the less light / detail each individual pixel can capture as the pixels have to be smaller to accomodate the sensor size... and most camera phones have a similar sized sensor:

Z2 - 20.7MP - 1/2.3”
Nexus 5 - 8MP - 1/3.2"
GS5 - 16MP - 1/2.6"
HTC M8 - Dual 4MP - 1/3"
iPhone 5S - 8MP - 1/3"

Not much in it is there, yet the iPhone 5S arguably still takes the best photo out of all of them despite only being 8MP.

Quality of optics (lens) and image processing chip makes a difference too obviously, but mega pixels alone do not make a better camera... be it in on a phone, point and shoot or DSLR.

I agree that most "review sites" (especially phone sites) do go on and on about mega pixels, but that's because most people don't know anything about cameras and how they work! They just see a large MP count and assume that bigger is better. Mega Pixels are Snake Oil marketing basically.

There's a whole lot more to it that than so if you want to know more I suggest Googling "the mega pixel myth" and read a few articles on the subject.
I do agree with your viewpoint. I never mentioned that only MP of a camera is important.
The only fact that comes out here is that both are important equally while buying a new phone.

I got the s5 and its day light pictures are very good, as long as you make sure it focuses, which i have found to be sluggish.

However, i am very disappointed with the night time pictures, they almost always come out blurred.

My iphone 4s probably is a better all round camera.

I got the s5 and its day light pictures are very good, as long as you make sure it focuses, which i have found to be sluggish.

However, i am very disappointed with the night time pictures, they almost always come out blurred.

My iphone 4s probably is a better all round camera.
Samsung Galaxy S5 is having 16MP rear camera with f/2.2 aperture and 1/2.6 sensor size. Ans as per the reviews of this mobile on different sites, it is being taken as the best mobile with camera shooting feature. The mobile is also considered best in low light imaging under the similar price range. So its surprising that you are says that its low light image capturing is not good.

Think we are reading different reviews, all the ones i read have been critical of its low light ability.

I can only compare what I am seeing personally on my own phone, but then again I will be the first to admit that I am no professional photographer.

I get great day light pictures, but they are a little washed out.

Night pictures, I just can't get decent shots.

Last edited:
As per the comparison, there is not much difference in the technical features of Samsung S5 and Sony Z2. But there are only few pros of Z2 over S5. Firstly, Z2 is a waterproof mobile which is a good technology to be availed in mobiles. Apart from this, Z2 is having nearly 20 MP camera whereas S5 is having 16 MP camera. Apart from this not any further noticeable difference are present.

As per the comparison, there is not much difference in the technical features of Samsung S5 and Sony Z2. But there are only few pros of Z2 over S5. Firstly, Z2 is a waterproof mobile which is a good technology to be availed in mobiles. Apart from this, Z2 is having nearly 20 MP camera whereas S5 is having 16 MP camera. Apart from this not any further noticeable difference are present.
The s5 is waterproof too, in upto 1metre of water for half an hour

The s5 is waterproof too, in upto 1metre of water for half an hour
yes it is but Samsung S5 , but you have to ensure before dipping it in water that it is tightly packed, its port jack is properly closed and the cover is placed tightly. If any of this left unchecked, it will lead water to enter this mobile without invitation. This case is not with Sony Z2.

Have you considered the Lumia 1020? The camera on that is mind blowing IMO

I turned off image stabilization and the pictures came out a lot better and sharper.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom