Nextbase 522 Dashcam

Stephen WAWAW

Novice Member
8 minutes ago
Hi All users !

I hope you are well. Please excuse me as I am a forum new visitor and new to the Nextbase 522 dashcam. I am googling the hell out of the internet to find feedback on the better rear dash-cam camera add on option. I see reviews stating the rear window camera is better at the viewing angle and playback quality but the camera constantly moves and needs re-positioning especially when owner goes in & out of the boot. I also see reviews stating the alternate rear view camera is good but ofcourse it bolts on to the 522 dash-cams right hand side meaning you have potentially the 522 dashcam sticking out further than you would like ( whilst still keeping almost behind rear view mirror ) . Have you any experience of this with yourself or any knowledge from other forum Nextbase dashcam owners ? Which rear camera option would you advise ? Is it better to go with the rear window camera option ( with wired installation to link to the 522 Dashcam ) and adjust settings to front 1080p and rear 1080p too ? Thanks

dakeb

Standard Member
I went with the 522GW with rear camera option in my Astra. It works well once set up and I've not noticed it moving on its magnetic base. If it did I might add a tiny drop of glue as I never remove it from the vehicle.

Biggest problem is interference with the dab radio. it is hard to get the routing and ferrite cores positioned just right to stop dab radio cutting out. I eventually sorted it but it still makes some of the weakest commercial stations unlistenable.

Parking mode isn't like proper parking mode on, say, a Blackvue where you can view the footage remotely on your phone when you are away from the car. It is just a knock detector and the camera battery doesn't stay powered long enough to be effective. I will find a permanent live tap for it sometime. Also, if someone breaks in you lose any footage when they steal your camera as there is no cloud upload.

Overall I am impressed with it for the price, I even have Alexa working in the car now.

Stephen WAWAW

Novice Member
I went with the 522GW with rear camera option in my Astra. It works well once set up and I've not noticed it moving on its magnetic base. If it did I might add a tiny drop of glue as I never remove it from the vehicle.

Biggest problem is interference with the dab radio. it is hard to get the routing and ferrite cores positioned just right to stop dab radio cutting out. I eventually sorted it but it still makes some of the weakest commercial stations unlistenable.

Parking mode isn't like proper parking mode on, say, a Blackvue where you can view the footage remotely on your phone when you are away from the car. It is just a knock detector and the camera battery doesn't stay powered long enough to be effective. I will find a permanent live tap for it sometime. Also, if someone breaks in you lose any footage when they steal your camera as there is no cloud upload.

Overall I am impressed with it for the price, I even have Alexa working in the car now.
Thanks Dakeb

The DAB interference issue seems to appear on quite a few sites that I have seen . It’s definitely something that I need to consider . I have also spoken to Nextbase support who mention that a hardwire to a permanent constant supply is not a problem due to the Nextbase hardwire kit having a voltage tripper to ensure car battery does not fully drain , so I can have permanent recording whilst car is parked overnight on my driveway for example as opposed to the limited footage from the parking bump mode currently. However , I see posts from other people who are sceptical of this . I need to find some feedback from someone that has indeed hardwired to a permanent constant live feed and what the impact on car battery is by having the record on overnight. Many thanks for your response and tips

Stephen

dakeb

Standard Member
Bear in mind if you leave it permanently recording you will need a big enough SD card so it doesn't keep overwriting the files.

mickiete

Standard Member
I read in the manual that the camera will stop recording and go in to parking mode if it detects no movement for 5 minutes, then start recording when movement is detected again.
I would presume if it is hardwired to a permanent supply (which I will be doing this week), that this will be the same as if it was plugged in to a cigarette lighter socket and I was in non moving traffic for a while.

Stephen WAWAW

Novice Member
I read in the manual that the camera will stop recording and go in to parking mode if it detects no movement for 5 minutes, then start recording when movement is detected again.
I would presume if it is hardwired to a permanent supply (which I will be doing this week), that this will be the same as if it was plugged in to a cigarette lighter socket and I was in non moving traffic for a while.

Hi
My Nextbase 522 that is hardwired in to a permanent live supply constantly records
either when car is stationary or moving. Screen on the dashcam is set to go off though after 30 seconds but keeps recording, this to keep me legal and not give a deterrent whilst driving. The clever Nextbase hardwire kit does not allow the car battery to totally drain thus preventing you getting a flat car battery - as so it acts as a cctv system whilst car is parked on driveway overnight or whilst in car-park at work. Because of constant recording and overwriting I have a 128gb Sandisk high endurance SD card and ensure that I format the SD card on a weekly basis.

thanks 👍

Stephen WAWAW

Novice Member
Hi,
I will check mine when I wire it and see if mine records constantly.

Just a heads -up. If you want a permanent cctv type recording you have to go into the settings and turn the Parking Mode to OFF. Also , If you can live without it - you also have to deactivate the SOS mode or the dashcam screen will illuminate with a red lit up screen and alert ( especially at night ) that you have a dash-cam in your vehicle ( possible theft issue ) . I checked both these points with the Nextbase helpline

cheers

deck1ng

Novice Member
8 minutes ago
Hi All users !

I hope you are well. Please excuse me as I am a forum new visitor and new to the Nextbase 522 dashcam. I am googling the hell out of the internet to find feedback on the better rear dash-cam camera add on option. I see reviews stating the rear window camera is better at the viewing angle and playback quality but the camera constantly moves and needs re-positioning especially when owner goes in & out of the boot. I also see reviews stating the alternate rear view camera is good but ofcourse it bolts on to the 522 dash-cams right hand side meaning you have potentially the 522 dashcam sticking out further than you would like ( whilst still keeping almost behind rear view mirror ) . Have you any experience of this with yourself or any knowledge from other forum Nextbase dashcam owners ? Which rear camera option would you advise ? Is it better to go with the rear window camera option ( with wired installation to link to the 522 Dashcam ) and adjust settings to front 1080p and rear 1080p too ? Thanks

deck1ng

Novice Member
Personally I would go for and have gone for the rear mounted cam, an upgrade from my 512gwrc +rc. You are right about the add-_on, it forces you to have your main camera 3-4” inch further west of centre, which for me should be the optimum position, you are also looking thru the full length of the car to get a view of the rear anc what happens when you get a third passenger on the rear seat? You may as well not have a rear facing camera.
As for positioning the rear camera, for the 512 I stuck the base mount on a shaped piece of metal and then stuck that to the plastic roof trim directly behind the rubber seal. This I am going again with the new 522 rear camera, 3 points here. 1, it is not directly stuck to the rear window where is easily seen or becomes a target. 2, the new design of magnetised golf ball should not get jarred every time the boot is closed. 3,being set back from the rear window by just 2/3 “, makes it discreet.
Okay a bit of faffing around to make a sturdy mount but light gauge aluminium angle is ideal. And before anyone asks, no I have never bashed my head on the camera, using the tape used to hold number plates on it has stayed secure for the last 4 years. Good luck, just my humble opinion,

deck1ng

Novice Member
I would presume if it is hardwired to a permanent supply (which I will be doing this week), that this will t tv TV be the same as if it was plugged in to a cigarette lighter socket and I was in non moving traffic for a while.

deck1ng

Novice Member
If you hard wire to a permanent live feed, the camera will record 24 hours a day, just because you are stationary it does not stop it recording, that happens when you turn off the engine if wired through a ignition operated fuse. The short overrun is using the inbuilt battery , the same as when in park mode it starts and records using the inbuilt battery.
IIRC

deck1ng

Novice Member
If you hard wire to a permanent live feed, the camera will record 24 hours a day, just because you are stationary it does not stop it recording, that happens when you turn off the engine if wired through a ignition operated fuse. The short overrun is using the inbuilt battery , the same as when in park mode it starts and records using the inbuilt battery.
IIRC
What I have written here is a load of garbage, please ignore it, this was for the 512gwrc, sorry.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom