Question Next Upgrade?

simonb3665

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, In our living room I currently have 5.1 with q acoustic 2000 series and an SVS SB2000. I am toying with the idea of upgrading the speakers. The q's have been fantastic speakers and are awesome value for money but I think the living room is going to be a permanent place for the projector and watching movies now so thinking of how I can make an improvement.
What I am looking for is either wall mounted flatish speakers (recently considered some Jamo D500/D600), Inwall speakers I would put in a very shallow false wall or an upgrade of what I have by replacing them like for like with the MA APEX or maybe with some very aesthetically smart small floorstander's such as B&W 684 or maybe some used MA GX200.
What am I trying to achieve? For movies I want exceptional clarity for voices (my partner has some hearing issues) and for me I just feel the system lacks some slam/dynamics. In the case of inwalls it would be a case of creating extra inconvenience and a nicer room.
Budget wise is value driven. If I can get an improvement for 100 for used kit I will but if £2000 will get me an improvement that will keep me happy for years then that is fine also.
I should add that I will listen to music occasionally but will do my main listening in the old study/cinema room. Even with ARC on the Anthem I have never really liked music with a sub. I find it fatiguing. That may be an issue with the subs or integration or just my ears.
Any thoughts appreciated.

Have a look at SVS Prime Towers, they're very clear, detailed, go very low and look the part too.

You have a lot of different option there and each will have positives and negatives. In wall speakers can lack bass but then you have a sub that will be able to do the bass anyway. The Apex are supposed to be great sounding speakers for their size and have reasonable bass which can mean a lower crossover point and that can help integration of sound. You really need to go an listen to the different options to see which you prefer and which you feel offers you the best value for money.

Thanks for the SVS suggestion, I'll look at them although initially put off by anything that is rear ported due to difficulty placing them in a non dedicated room. I also have some Bronze BR5 which are smaller and I have to use bungs to calm the base down.
I have had demo of apex which seem had the slam I crave but it turns out I was actually listening to a front 3 of tannoy inwalls at first due to a mix up. The Apex where also very good when switched to them. The apex didn't sound good instereo without a sub in that system though, not essential. In that demo I am not sure if it was the sub or the room set up or 5k amp that gave it that umph. The sub was the Monitor audio 12 inch that comes with the Apex package and the room was huge with treatment.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom