Answered Next upgrade from Denon AVRX2300W

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Will I Aint, Mar 14, 2019 at 4:03 PM.

1. Will I Aint

Will I Aint
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a Q Acoustics Q7000i 5.1 setup which was perfect for my previous mid terraced house with the subject line AVR. I moved to a detached house and as we were gutting downstairs and going open plan i ran 4 sets of speaker cables and put a pair of MA CT165s for a 5.1.2 set up. I also swapped out the QA LCR with MA Bronze BX6 and a Bronze Centre.

I managed to find a couple of bargains on Richer Sounds and bought a CT165 for £2.99 and a CT265 for £8.99 plus delivery and 6 year guarantee. this was just an impulse by but also as they are discontinued i now have the same size holes in the ceiling with matching grills to keep the other half happy.

I'm now at a loss as to what would be the most cost effective upgrade to 7.1.4 or 7.2.4. The AVR which is still good for my current needs doesn't have pre-outs so i can't add an external app to drive additional channels.

What are my choices here? a 9 channel AVR with an external amp to drive LR, pull 11 channel AMP (not cheap) or Processor with Power Amp.

Bear in mind that my set up is modest and i'm not looking to upgrade until nearer the end of this year money allowing.

2. Best Answer:
    Post #8 by dante01, Mar 17, 2019 at 10:39 AM (1 points)
  3. mushii

mushii

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,082
    None of your options are going to be cheap. tell us a little more about your proposed set-up. maybe a room sketch with some approximate dimensions would help a little. What is your intended set-up for the 7 speakers? Make/model and location. Which 2 sub's are you looking to use. I run C165s and I think that given your intended set-up you may wish to look at changing these for C265 IDC's to get the most out of Atmos. 7.2.4 is not going to be a modest set-up by any standards, both space wise and cost wise. Also consider if SWMBO was was not happy with changing 2 speakers, how will she feel about 4 ceiling speakers, 2 subs, an LCR set and 4 additional height / FX / surround speakers that ideally will want to match acoustically with your fron LCR. Add on this either a fairly large 11 channel AVR or an AVR and additional amplification, which will also be sizeable and a hole the size of a decent family holiday in the bank.

4. Will I Aint

Will I Aint
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Mushii,

just to clarify, i meant to say 5.1.4 or 5.2.4, I'm already running 5.1.2. I can't go to 7.x.x as there aren't enough walls! I'll share a floorplan when i can get to my PC.

5. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,841
    If you were wanting to make a purchase now then I'd suggest last year's Marantz SR6012 or even the SR7012 as being good value for money options. These receivers will not however still be available by the time you intend buying the receiver. You'd be looking at their replacements and probably be paying more for them.

If not ready to buy anything yet then it may be pointless anyone sucggesting what may not be available at a later date?

Look at either the Marantz SR6013, the Denon AVRX4500 or the Marantz SR7013 closer to the end of the year if this is when you intend buying a receiver. If buying now then you should look at the SR6012 or the SR7012.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019 at 5:58 PM
  6. Davekale86

Davekale86

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +980
    What's your budget?

7. Will I Aint

Will I Aint
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry for the delay in replying. I don't really want to spend more than 1k and ideally it would be a 1 box solution to drive 5.2.4 with 4k HDR.

The room is shaped as below and SW is in the bottom right corner:
    Lounge.png

8. Davekale86

Davekale86

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +980
    Denon AVRX3500 Black it doesn't do 5.2.4 however this is what I'd be looking at if you want to stick with Denon was orignally a £900 AVR so at the price it is its an absolute steal or if you really want the 5.2.4 setup then this one Pioneer VSX-LX503 (Black)

9. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,841
    Best Answer
    Again, the options available to you right now are not going to still be available by the end of this year.

You may find that you are unable to buy a 9 channel receiver with your proposed budget when you actually come to buy the receiver. The most likely options will be those models that replace what is available to you now. You'd be looking at the Marantz SR6013, the SR7013 or Denon's AVRX4500.

If you were to decide to buy now then you could have an SR6012 for as little as £650, the SR7012 for about £850 or even a Yamaha RXA3070 for just under £1K. These options will not be available for long.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019 at 11:05 AM
  10. mushii

mushii

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,082
    Checking for understanding £1000 to buy 4 matching ceiling speakers,( you can’t just mix and match different models) AND a 9 channel AVR?

11. Will I Aint

Will I Aint
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The speakers are already installed and i’m running 5.1.2.

12. mushii

mushii

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,082
    You are running a CT165 and CT265 together ? If you are the worst case is you still need another 2 ceiling speakers (actually you will need 3 to do this properly).

You can probably get CT165s still, at around £115 each, so that will be £345, leaving £655 for the amp.

13. Davekale86

Davekale86

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +980
    As above have a look at the ones I have linked if I was looking at getting a higher end AVR than the one I've got I'd go for the AVRX3500

14. mushii

mushii

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,082
    The 3500 is still only a 7 channel amp and the OP wants 9 channels. he would need a 4500 which are still £1200. If we are just looking at just the amp, then @dante01 's is the best advice.

15. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,910
    The 3500 can only process 7 channels, as does the 2500. The maximum with both of these is 5.1.2.

16. Davekale86

Davekale86

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +980
    It does however if the OP isn't that bothered then that's what I would recommend if not then the pioneer would be the next best choice

17. mushii

mushii

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,082
    @Davekake86 the OP has already indicated several times that he is looking for a 9 channel solution. We are trying to establish if the £1000 budget is meant to include the Atmos speakers also, as this will further restrict what is already a tight budget.

18. Davekale86

Davekale86

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +980
    Ah must of read it wrong OK yeah that will probably be a tight budget

19. Will I Aint

Will I Aint
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted: