1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Next upgrade - amp or sub, Advice please

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by guccismith, Sep 5, 2005.

1. guccismith

guccismith
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would appreciate some advice please. I have a measly £600 to spend on an upgrade for my HC.......

My current set-up is

Pioneer 757 dvd player
    Pioneer VSA E08 Amp
    B&W 603 s3 Fronts
    B&W LCR60 s3 Centre
    Mission 77DS Rears
    QED Silver Anniversary Speaker Cables
    Infocus 5700 PJ - connected via component
    Sky Plus - connected via Svideo

As you can see, the amp is fairly old and I have no sub.

My mind was made up and I was to purchase an SVS PB12 or PCi 20-39 but is this the route to go down, should I be looking at a new amp in the 1st instance and sub at a later date??

Most of my listening is movies at a fairly loud level..:D

Sub or Amp? If it is the latter any suggestions on a good alternative to the VSA E08?

Any advice greatly appreciated....:thumbsup:

Mark...

2. Jack the lad

Jack the lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Personally I'd go for a sub. And the SVS subs are amazing, it will add an whole new dimension to your movie experience :)

Unless you have a fault with your Pioneer I wouldnt change it. Well not yet anyway. Do it after the sub. In a way you are kinda like driving a car with a wheel missing if you know what I mean ;)

If you do choose the amp then the Denon 3805 is a very good amp. But what kind of budget do you have?

3. guccismith

guccismith
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jack Daws - thanks for your reply......

Not sure about budget for future upgrades after this one......arrival of a new baby in a couple of months will force me to spend any reserves I have elsewhere.:thumbsdow but great that there's a baby on the way:thumbsup:

The amp seems ok, but I think it's showing it's age now. If I crank the volume up past -10db it seems to loose much of the the bass, but below this volume everything is fine, appart from the lack of real bass that is.....I normaly listen to movies with the 'loudness' activated......

Budget may be streched a little now, but as for the future.......I think it will be 12 months before my next purchase:(