Next upgrade advice

jimmya200

Established Member
Reaction score
I am considering my next upgrade and would like some advise on the following.

I am currently running a modest Marantz 7012 AVR 5.1.2 system. I am limited to 5.1.2 as it’s also my living room, so do not plan on increasing my speaker count other than possibly adding another sub (which is one of the upgrade options.

Speakers are Monitor audio silver 300 fronts and matching centre.
Rears are silver 50s
Atmos ceiling speakers are monitor audio C165s
Intend to keep these speakers for a while.

Sub is an old acoustic energy one that I have had for a while so possibly due an upgrade anyway.

My options for next upgrade are.

Just upgrade current sub - any suggestions?Was thinking BK P12-300SB-PR?

Add a power amp for front 3 speakers. If so looking at XPA 3 channel

Add two new subs

Due to budget restraints and convincing the other half I can probably only choose power amp or subs. So my question is, which option with give me the biggest upgrade?

Unless you absolutely want to add a power amp, I feel its not really necessary and your money would be better put towards two woofers to balance the room fully. If you purchase one with a hi-level, you'll be able to extend the frequency range of the silver 300 if that's for stereo other wise look at two woofers which either enable you to use an internal DSP or purchase a DSP solution which allows you to maximise this area and I'm quite sure that you'll never look back

I'll agree with Shane, the Marantz really doesn't need the extra power in a small room. If you use the system for music then the Marantz could indeed be augmented with a stereo amp that has HT by-pass. You'd be killing two birds with one stone in giving extra power to the front left and right and get a superior stereo music reproduction. It does come at a cost though as HT by-pass capable stereo amps aren't on the cheap side.

This would only be really an option if you listen to a lot of music though.

Agree (again! 🤣😉) with @ShanePJ. I also have a 5.2.4 setup - with same front 3 speakers as you. I used to run a single P12-300SB-PR (Mighty good sub and excellent value for money imo). The biggest upgrade to my system was going dual subs without a doubt. My OH, wouldn't allow me to add an additional P12) (too big apparently! 🤣). So I reluctantly sold this and replaced with 2x SVS SB2000 PRO'S. These are excellent subs (only marginally smaller, but OH approval was granted. However, 2 of the SVS's were nearly 3x the cost of 2 P12's!

If you get 2 P12's and order them at the same time, you can ask BK to match the wood vaneer finish too. I definitely look at 2 P12's (or the SVS subs if you have the budget). 🙂

What size is your room and is it a dedicated room? Edit: I see it's a living room setup. Do you use your system mainly for movies or is music also important?

only marginally smaller, but OH approval was granted

I never knew that story. Hilarious. And confusing. The size difference is, erm, not much. Did you use a Jedi mind trick? If so, can you teach me? Or was it gin? 🤣

Agree (again! 🤣😉) with @ShanePJ. I also have a 5.2.4 setup - with same front 3 speakers as you. I used to run a single P12-300SB-PR (Mighty good sub and excellent value for money imo). The biggest upgrade to my system was going dual subs without a doubt. My OH, wouldn't allow me to add an additional P12) (too big apparently! 🤣). So I reluctantly sold this and replaced with 2x SVS SB2000 PRO'S. These are excellent subs (only marginally smaller, but OH approval was granted. However, 2 of the SVS's were nearly 3x the cost of 2 P12's!

If you get 2 P12's and order them at the same time, you can ask BK to match the wood vaneer finish too. I definitely look at 2 P12's (or the SVS subs if you have the budget). 🙂

What size is your room and is it a dedicated room? Edit: I see it's a living room setup. Do you use your system mainly for movies or is music also important?
Thanks for all the reply’s so far. Room is not big approx 5 meters by 3.5 meters. Usage is 90% Tv/movies and 10% music.

I never knew that story. Hilarious. And confusing. The size difference is, erm, not much. Did you use a Jedi mind trick? If so, can you teach me? Or was it gin? 🤣
It is rather amazing. When I got the P12 (as a upgrade to a 5g Bronze W10), she was very resistant. That resistance never really subsided throughout my ownership of the P12. So I already had an inkling the 2 of them was never going to happen! as a result, I'd already formulated "Project SVS" (as I termed it)....

She likes bass heavy dance, so I started by saying that 2 subs in a stereo setup is recommended etc. Then I'd strategically send her articles from SVS on the subject - which pictured the SB1000. She eventually said 2x SB1000 would be fine!. It was them relatively simple to sell her the idea of going for the 2000. Longevity, not much difference in size over the 1000 etc...

When I got the 2000's, she asked what size they were. I told her they were like 5cm'ish smaller than the P12. to which she replied: "Well they look smaller".... Don't think I'll ever work out her logic. Tbh, I don't care as I've now got 2 cracking subs! 😂😂

It is rather amazing. When I got the P12 (as a upgrade to a 5g Bronze W10), she was very resistant. That resistance never really subsided throughout my ownership of the P12. So I already had an inkling the 2 of them was never going to happen! as a result, I'd already formulated "Project SVS" (as I termed it)....

She likes bass heavy dance, so I started by saying that 2 subs in a stereo setup is recommended etc. Then I'd strategically send her articles from SVS on the subject - which pictured the SB1000. She eventually said 2x SB1000 would be fine!. It was them relatively simple to sell her the idea of going for the 2000. Longevity, not much difference in size over the 1000 etc...

When I got the 2000's, she asked what size they were. I told her they were like 5cm'ish smaller than the P12. to which she replied: "Well they look smaller".... Don't think I'll ever work out her logic. Tbh, I don't care as I've now got 2 cracking subs! 😂😂

Great bit of psychology. So, it was along the lines of almost making like it was her choice and for her ;) Some would call it manipulation but I think they would be wrong 🤣

I'm sure you could write a list of things you didn't want to spend money on that you still both have, so fair's fair!

Great bit of psychology. So, it was along the lines of almost making like it was her choice and for her ;) Some would call it manipulation but I think they would be wrong 🤣
Aye. That's a good summary tbf!.....

Similar success was achieved when going from Silver 100's to Silver 300's in the main HT/Stereo setup. Bonus though, was she liked the 100's so much that they're now used in the bedroom 2ch system!

I'm sure you could write a list of things you didn't want to spend money on that you still both have, so fair's fair!
Yep. Definitely works both ways. My last big upgrade negotiations included a puppy as part of the deal! 😂😂

Anyway, we shouldn't derail the OP's thread with this! I'm happy to contribute to an "AV Gear Negotiations" thread though! 😂

Thanks for all the reply’s so far. Room is not big approx 5 meters by 3.5 meters. Usage is 90% Tv/movies and 10% music.
Notice the 300w BK Monolith costs same as P12-PR if you want something even better for your atmos system. Compare the FF/DF cabinet dimensions as they differ quite a bit. If size is issue then stick with the original plan= 2x P12-PR. I assume you picked BK partly due to those nice finish choices? SVS PB1000 Pro would be at 575£, but only black ash/oak finish sadly.

FDB784C7-8E9A-4DFD-8764-B32363FF49D4.jpeg
FDB784C7-8E9A-4DFD-8764-B32363FF49D4.jpeg
Notice the 300w BK Monolith costs same as P12-PR if you want something even better for your atmos system. Compare the FF/DF cabinet dimensions as they differ quite a bit. If size is issue then stick with the original plan= 2x P12-PR. I assume you picked BK partly due to those nice finish choices? SVS PB1000 Pro would be at 575£, but only black ash/oak finish sadly.

Yes my front speakers are black gloss, so will either stick with that theme or could go for white as Tv unit is white. The P12’s would fit the gaps either side of the unit quite well!

Yes my front speakers are black gloss, so will either stick with that theme or could go for white as Tv unit is white. The P12’s would fit the gaps either side of the unit quite well!
Your proposed sub positions (and indeed front LCR in general) are virtually identical to mine. 2x P12-300SB-PR will look great imo.

I'd probably go gloss black on the subs. Gloss white, with white grilles (assuming you leave the grilles off your main speakers), will help make the subs "disappear/blend in with the TV unit 👍🏼 Which in turn may score you extra WAF points!

Sub upgrade.
I have the Silver 300's and C350 with Bronze rears and CT265 ceiling speakers.

I added an Emotiva XPA power-amp, yes it is very good, nice and controlled sound at higher levels. Was it worth £1400, no probably not.
I then went on to add a Second SVS PC-2000 Sub, this made a very nice upgrade. I've since changed the subs to an Arendal.
I've always kept the Emotiva, but i only think about selling it all the time, as I just don't think the Silvers need it in all honesty. Possibly the BasX would have been a better option for half the price of the XPA and use the savings for a better (or second). Sub

Fwiw - The only reason I'd consider adding power amp(s) to my setup is if my longterm plan was to eventually go with a dedicated AV Processor - rather than my current AVR. As @StefanBFC says, the 300's don't need a power amp as they are easy to drive.

Edit: if (OK, let's not kid ourselves - when 😉🤣) I decide to go full seperates, I'll probably go with the cheaper BASX range in any case.

Some great advice guys, thanks very much. I reckon two subs it is then 👍🏻
You won't regret it. The P12's (if you choose them) really do perform well above their price point and offer great value. Lovely finishes and great UK based Customer Service to boot too!

Fwiw - The only reason I'd consider adding power amp(s) to my setup is if my longterm plan was to eventually go with a dedicated AV Processor - rather than my current AVR. As @StefanBFC says, the 300's don't need a power amp as they are easy to drive.

Edit: if (OK, let's not kid ourselves - when 😉🤣) I decide to go full seperates, I'll probably go with the cheaper BASX range in any case.

The problem I have now, if I sell the Emotiva, now I've had it approx 2 yrs, I'd probably miss it, so I'd have to exchange it for either a dedicated Intergrated amp as I listen to music, or a BasX and re-coup some money and add a streamer.

For what its worth, the Arendal 1961 1s sub is brilliant.

The problem I have now, if I sell the Emotiva, now I've had it approx 2 yrs, I'd probably miss it, so I'd have to exchange it for either a dedicated Intergrated amp as I listen to music, or a BasX and re-coup some money and add a streamer.
Yeah tricky that.

FWIW, I use a stereo integrated amp with HT Bypass (Audiolab 6000A) in my setup. It's a definite improvement for 2ch music/sources, when compared to the 2ch performance of my Denon 4500H.

For what its worth, the Arendal 1961 1s sub is brilliant.
I looked at Arendal subs. They are lovely, alas they didn't pass the OH for size, (see post #4 on for her "logic" 😉🤣). So went for the slightly smaller SVS's!

Yeah tricky that.

FWIW, I use a stereo integrated amp with HT Bypass (Audiolab 6000A) in my setup. It's a definite improvement for 2ch music/sources, when compared to the 2ch performance of my Denon 4500H.

I looked at Arendal subs. They are lovely, alas they didn't pass the OH for size, (see post #4 on for her "logic" 😉🤣). So went for the slightly smaller SVS's!

I swapped out my Denon for an Arcam AVR for this exact reason. Very good now for 2 channel, just poor for streaming.

The Silvers do well for Movies and Music 👍🏻.

I swapped out my Denon for an Arcam AVR for this exact reason. Very good now for 2 channel, just poor for streaming.

The Silvers do well for Movies and Music 👍🏻.
Agreed.

Off Topic:
Have you considered adding something like a Bluesound Node 2i, or a Yamaha WXD-10 for streaming. I don't like DTS PlayFi either for streaming!

Agreed.

Off Topic:
Have you considered adding something like a Bluesound Node 2i, or a Yamaha WXD-10 for streaming. I don't like DTS PlayFi either for streaming!

Added an Arcam IR DAC, with a Chromecast audio.

I think the Arcam Dac is superior than the Yamaha and you can't add an external dac with that.
The Blusound Node2i, I did own one and sold it again, the Chromecast audio was just as good and only £40. But I'm doubting that now and tempted to get another one, as Spotify Lossless is coming out, and the CCA is really limited. I do like the Arcam DAC though.

That may or may not be the most optimal placement. If they are close each other then you aren´t getting much of benefits regarding smoothing the response. Diagonally opposite front/rear may work better depending of room dimensions and where MLP is. Sounds like 2x P12-PR is the way to go then and should be quite dramatic change from old AE sub. Keep us posted how you get on!

Room is not big approx 5 meters by 3.5 meters
This is a very similar sized room to mine. My setup is on the shorter wall (I assume your's is too?). I've got my 2 subs at ¼ wall placement - which is (along with @Gasp3621 diagonal placement) - one of the recommended options. Here are the most common placements for dual subs. It's from SVS, but applies to all subs:

(Scroll to bottom of the above page for the pictures of the various placement ideas).

😊

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom