Next step...

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by brassmonkey001, Feb 15, 2017.

1. brassmonkey001

brassmonkey001
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Having recently purchased a Denon AVR-X2300W Receiver, I'm wondering what my next step to improving my system should be.
    My set-up consists of a Samsung UE46F6400 TV, a Sony BDP-S490 Blu-Ray player, A Humax HDRFox T2 PVR, A Rega Planar 2 turntable, Kef Q35 front speakers, Q15 rears and Q95C centre plus the AVR-X2300W.
    I've never got around to adding a subwoofer as the Kef floorstanders handle the bass pretty well, but now I'm wondering if perhaps I should invest in one? My local dealer has the Tannoy TS 2.8 on sale at £199 - which seems like a good price for a sub, but is it a worthwhile buy or should I look for something else?
    The other option is to go down the route of adding extra speakers to take advantage of Atmos but there doesn't appear to be a huge choice and prices start near the price of the sub and go off into silly money!
    So I'm thinking of spending £300 which makes it an either/or choice for a sub or Atmos. Which way would you go? And what would you buy with that budget to fit nicely into that setup?

2. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,426
    I would go for a sub but look at the BK Electronics range instead as they will offer better value for money.

3. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,678
    Sub first. It will make a difference to films and TV as it will bring in the LFE the .1 channel for deep bass effects. Setting up the speakers correctly, ie, all set to small with the sub involved, will improve the soundfield after running Audyssey. As PSM1 said have a look at the BK range. Atmos for a 5.1.2 can be added at any time in the future.

4. andybond

andybond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    I have a BK Monolith Plus.

Its not exactly discreet , in either asthetics or bass production !

5. ashenfie

ashenfie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +528
    Would also look at the BK offerings