Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Next step up from Eltax A10?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Canary_Jules, Nov 24, 2004.

1. Canary_Jules

Canary_Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +877
    Just sold my Eltax A10. Would a Paradigm PDR10 be a step up from this? If so, where to get one from? If not, what would?

Jules

2. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Would be more a sideways step than an upgrade I'd say, the PDR10 isn't bad for movies, but is too slow for music.

What is your budget? If it is less than £200, wait until you have £200 and go for the MS-309, that would be my advice.

3. Canary_Jules

Canary_Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +877
    Cheers Kazman. I think my budget is unlikely to exceed £200 (wife permitting) so a 309 sounds like my best bet. I should be able to wait given that I believe the Wharfedale Diamond Screen 3 speaker pack (which has the floorstanding 8.3s) has pretty good bass depth. Just spoken to Hyperfi who are pushing Kef PSW1000s at £130 and Celestion C6s at £199.

Jules

4. Mr Cat

Mr Cat
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    it also worth checking out the second hand market - as I recently was going to buy a new sub (having previously owned the Eltax a12r sub) but I won a Velodyne CHT-10R sub!

but anyway, there are improvements between these 2 subs, but not the sonic performance that I was led to believe, I was say that the CHT-10R is generally better in music tho (connected to my NAD amp), but on some tracks i.e. track 3 on the american beauty sound track (by thomas Newman), the Eltax is better!! hence thats why I'm thining about the cable change etc...

so, what I'm saying is - check out the second hand market as since you've only got 200 quid, I doubt they'll be (m)any new subs that would be any real improvement over the eltax.

hope this helps.

5. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    I would avoid the PSW1000, it won't be that different to your Eltax.

As Mr Cat says, try the 2nd hand market, you could get a cracking sub for £200, I sold my KEF PSW2500 on there for less than that I believe.

Put a Wanted ad up, and see who bites :).

6. Mr Cat

Mr Cat
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    yeah, as mentioned on another thread you can buy the MS309 from - http://www.petertyson.co.uk/ for about 215...

if you're after a brand new sub that is also a brand new model then at this price I doubt you can get better!
    tho, the Frequency response is 35-200khz, I'm not sure what it is on the Eltax a10, but on my a12r it went down to 32Hz (using the avia test dvd, but claimed to goto 30Hz)...so, it maybe worth a demo if possible...

7. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    The MS309 is a steal at that price. I used to own a PDR10 and although it was good for the price Kaz is right that it would be more of a sideways step. If you can trace some of the more upmarket models such as a PS1000 or PW1100 then go for them but otherwise the advice already given is sound.

Make sure you read the Budget Sub Test sticky, even if you're not interested in those models it does highlight the differences between subs at this level.

8. Canary_Jules

Canary_Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +877
    Great replies guys. Much appreciated. I've just forewarned my wife that a sub is yet to come and she took it in her stride! :laugh:

Jules

9. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Good for you Jules. I didnt warn my other half until it was installed and she had come home :devil: Also worth looking at is the new Wharfedale diamond 9 series 150 sub at £250 ish or the vita100 from www.bkelec.com There are a couple owned by people on the forum and they like them. I still have a 309 and they are superb little subs for the money :smashin: No match for the SVS though :devil:

10. Canary_Jules

Canary_Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +877
    Thanks for that Dfour. Yep, so important to keep the other half on board. Interested in people's experience with the Wharfedale sub you mention Dfour because I just bought the Wharfedale Diamond AV Plus package from Superfi. On the other hand, just spoke to Peter Tyson about the 309 which looks really good at a very good price. Too much choice! :D

Jules

11. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    That Vita 100 would be a good buy :)

12. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    I heard the wharfedale at the what hifi playing Hero in there dem room and was quite impressed for a small sub. I would bare in mind that they would have it set up in the perfect place with all sorts of other kit to get the best out of it.

Yeah i saw a mini review about the vita 100 from someone on here.