Next step from Q3050i/3090Ci?

GrazzaB

Distinguished Member
You could definitely get the last generation Silver 300s and C350 for within your budget if you’re quick - that would be a fantastic L-C-R combination

WozzaB

Thanks guys!
I did read on here somewhere that the MA's would have the edge for music but the KEF's would have the edge for HT due to the Uni-Q drivers, is this accurate?

WozzaB

If I've got enough space to wall mount, then possible LCR could be:
KEF Q650C & Q350's
MA C350 & Silver 50 or 100's

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Thanks guys!
I did read on here somewhere that the MA's would have the edge for music but the KEF's would have the edge for HT due to the Uni-Q drivers, is this accurate?

That would be big assumption. If coaxial drivers would be that superior, we would see lot more brands using them. Clearly there is pros and cons with each design. It´s a shame if the shops don´t have stock anymore near you, you could have booked demo time and go listen. I have had chats with members who heard Kef R and Silvers, picked the latter. It really can go either way..

GrazzaB

Distinguished Member
Thanks guys!

The Kef Qs are undoubtedly really nice but I can say that the 300 and C350 have an advantage in that they’re all three way speakers. I’ve never heard dialogue come across as well as it does with that C350 centre speaker either. But I doubt you’ll be disappointed with either and I love the look of the Kefs.

WozzaB

That would be big assumption. If coaxial drivers would be that superior, we would see lot more brands using them. Clearly there is pros and cons with each design. It´s a shame if the shops don´t have stock anymore near you, you could have booked demo time and go listen. I have had chats with members who heard Kef R and Silvers, picked the latter. It really can go either way..
The Kef Qs are undoubtedly really nice but I can say that the 300 and C350 have an advantage in that they’re all three way speakers. I’ve never heard dialogue come across as well as it does with that C350 centre speaker either. But I doubt you’ll be disappointed with either and I love the look of the Kefs.
It's a tricky choice guys! I prefer the look of the KEF but that shouldn't really sway me either way, but how speakers look in a normal lounge setup is important

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
It's a tricky choice guys! I prefer the look of the KEF but that shouldn't really sway me either way, but how speakers look in a normal lounge setup is important

Agreed. However i feel you need to see both live to be sure you feel the same. The cabinet on the Q range is cheap and lively, the UniQ driver is the most expensive part in the product. The finish is some type of vinyl wrap and when you have wood veneer finish on side it`s no contest. However i`m not sure which MA finish you would take if you would lean toward that. London area RS still has black oak and walnut S300s for 845£, why not go listen as they have Q350 usually in stock too? Keep in mind the Q350 is not that small so might look bit odd if wall mounted, i couldn´t imagine doing that in lounge as they also so boxy with tight shapes. But if that doesn`t bother you..

WozzaB

Agreed. However i feel you need to see both live to be sure you feel the same. The cabinet on the Q range is cheap and lively, the UniQ driver is the most expensive part in the product. The finish is some type of vinyl wrap and when you have wood veneer finish on side it`s no contest. However i`m not sure which MA finish you would take if you would lean toward that. London area RS still has black oak and walnut S300s for 845£, why not go listen as they have Q350 usually in stock too? Keep in mind the Q350 is not that small so might look bit odd if wall mounted, i couldn´t imagine doing that in lounge as they also so boxy with tight shapes. But if that doesn`t bother you..

I was going to see what shops had any to at least look at in person, hearing them would be great. But Covid had put my plans on hold! Mrs got a positive test yesterday and I feel like crap as well, no energy and aching, can't taste a thing either!

GrazzaB

Distinguished Member
Hi @WozzaB hope you’re feeling better. Just to say a black gloss silver C350 is £299 from richer sounds in their clearance section - refurb but in my experience they always arrive in superb condition. I think they’ve got a white one too. Incredible price for that.

WozzaB

Feeling battered, but thanks for asking!:smashin:
Looks like that one at RS is sold, can't see it anymore, cheers for the heads up though.

WozzaB

Leaning towards the C350 now, I'll have to modify to AV stand whatever I get, so the 235mm height is OK.
The Silver 100 could be the L/R and would have to go wall mount, I presume they would be a good match if I move away from floorstanders?

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Leaning towards the C350 now, I'll have to modify to AV stand whatever I get, so the 235mm height is OK.
The Silver 100 could be the L/R and would have to go wall mount, I presume they would be a good match if I move away from floorstanders?

Make a cardboard mock up! They are rather "fat" speakers and still require some space at rear ideally so you are looking to buy B-Tech type of wall brackets which i`m not sure what your wife thinks of. Seriously i think they would look bit imposing on wall in living room, but maybe it`s just me... :)

Amazon product

WozzaB

Make a cardboard mock up! They are rather "fat" speakers and still require some space at rear ideally so you are looking to buy B-Tech type of wall brackets which i`m not sure what your wife thinks of. Seriously i think they would look bit imposing on wall in living room, but maybe it`s just me... :)

Amazon product
I'll have another measure up😅

PT on Ebay doing 20% off, brand new C350 for £324, Silver 50 £279.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
I'll have another measure up😅

PT on Ebay doing 20% off, brand new C350 for £324, Silver 50 £279.

Why you can`t get some good looking stands with S100s? I would question the move from the towers to small 50s, you could be underwhelmed in some ways. I would then rather try your "luck" in mixing the front three so 3050i with C350 if you can´t get the 100s.

WozzaB

Why you can`t get some good looking stands with S100s? I would question the move from the towers to small 50s, you could be underwhelmed in some ways. I would then rather try your "luck" in mixing the front three so 3050i with C350 if you can´t get the 100s.
Yeah wasn't looking at getting the 50's, just mentioned the price. Don't really want stands, the Q3050i's have been wobbled a few times already and I'm sure speakers on stands would have been on the floor by now!😅
I'll probably grab a C350 and see if I like the sound, and if I do I can look at replacing the Q3050i if they sound out of place.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Yeah wasn't looking at getting the 50's, just mentioned the price. Don't really want stands, the Q3050i's have been wobbled a few times already and I'm sure speakers on stands would have been on the floor by now!😅
I'll probably grab a C350 and see if I like the sound, and if I do I can look at replacing the Q3050i if they sound out of place.

Yes that is the way forward. Put the order in NOW before it`s too late! :)

GrazzaB

Distinguished Member
I agree, the C350 is a seriously epic centre speaker. I don’t think I’ve ever had a centre that’s come close to it to be honest. And at the price for the last remaining ones it’s absolutely a complete bargain. At eBay they’re the same
Price with a discount code on for the next couple of days plus you get a lot of bonus nectar points at the moment

WozzaB

I agree, the C350 is a seriously epic centre speaker. I don’t think I’ve ever had a centre that’s come close to it to be honest. And at the price for the last remaining ones it’s absolutely a complete bargain. At eBay they’re the same
Price with a discount code on for the next couple of days plus you get a lot of bonus nectar points at the moment
I think for £324 brand new I can't go wrong really! The more I look at it and read up, the more I like it.

WozzaB

Guess what @Gasp3621? I finally ordered C350 in gloss black😆

I took apart our stand and put it back together a different way to get enough height on the middle shelf, I took the feet and added them to the top poles to get an extra 70mm!

It's not pretty but it'll work until we move and I can get a proper AV stand😅

stand.jpg

DavidT

Guess what @Gasp3621? I finally ordered C350 in gloss black😆

I took apart our stand and put it back together a different way to get enough height on the middle shelf, I took the feet and added them to the top poles to get an extra 70mm!

It's not pretty but it'll work until we move and I can get a proper AV stand😅

View attachment 1604480
Try to angle the C350 up at the front so that it is pointing towards your ears, it will make a difference.

WozzaB

Try to angle the C350 up at the front so that it is pointing towards your ears, it will make a difference.
That's the plan, I've only got about 10mm spare height though, so it won't angle a lot! I sit about 11ft away so that helps me with the tweeter dispersal I presume?

WozzaB

It's arrived!
Well it's either very well packed or it's a massive speaker! 😅
You can see the poor little 3090ci in the background

20211119_092837.jpg

WozzaB

Well it's in place, not quite as much gap as I thought as it has little stick on rubber feet, it's only a few mm taller, but when you're working with mm's of space it makes a difference 😅

I've hooked it up and running it with the same Audyssey settings until I get a chance to run it again.
It may be a placebo effect, but I can instantly hear more detail, mainly in the higher ranges, but I haven't given it loads of volume yet.

20211119_121025.jpg

Last edited:

WozzaB

Well 10 hours later and the Mrs still hasn't noticed I swapped the centre speaker! I do have the grille on to be fair, but still!!😆

I haven't had a chance to give it a proper test yet, only low-ish volumes so far, but it definitely sounds cleaner, more precise and picks out more detail.

Looking forward to giving it the full beans at some point!

WozzaB

I'm finally going rerun Audyssey soon using the app, quick question, I'm going to leave sub amp settings as they are, I have the front sub phase at 0 and the rear is about 90deg, shall I set it back to 0 before I run Audyssey?

Cheers!

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Piega launches Ace Wireless speakers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
M&K Sound launches V+ Series subwoofers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Denon launches DHT-S517 Dolby Atmos soundbar