Next move from Proceed AVP

SwissTony

Standard Member
I have owned my Proceed AVP since 2000. It is a great sounding processor for music & movies, but over time I have become increasinlgy frustrated with the features it does not offer.
ie DTS ES/DD EX, SACD/DVD -A decoding (important) component switching, HDMI (less important - I directly connect my projector to my DVD player).

The time has come to upgrade but with new developments around the corner (Dolby HD, HDMI 1.3) I am loathe to upgrade and find lack of utility again so quickly. Especially as most processors cost an arm and a leg. My AVP cost 3000 pounds, and at the time I felt this was a 20 year investment! I am wondering about buying a higher end reciever like Arcam's 350 instead of a processor, or should I wait another year?

What do members think/advise? What are my options?:)

Peter Baker

Novice Member
Personally, I found trhe only way to go was to an AVP2, but this still doesn't give you most of your wish list
I really don't think I would be happy with an Arcam, having tried the AV8/P7 when buying the AVP.
Maybe try Parasound/Primare/EAD/Lexicon, but only if you're prepared to give up the truly great 2 channel sound of the AVP

Madders

Peter Baker said:
Personally, I found trhe only way to go was to an AVP2, but this still doesn't give you most of your wish list
I really don't think I would be happy with an Arcam, having tried the AV8/P7 when buying the AVP.
Maybe try Parasound/Primare/EAD/Lexicon, but only if you're prepared to give up the truly great 2 channel sound of the AVP
You wouldn't need to give up truly great 2 channel sound if you went for an EAD ;)

Henry

I personally would hang on. If you're happy with the sound from your processor, it'd be better to sit tight for a year or so and see how the market develops.

Not much of the stuff you've listed is available yet so a change now will only mean another change in the near future which will not be a cheap way to go!

Peter Baker

Novice Member
Madders said:
You wouldn't need to give up truly great 2 channel sound if you went for an EAD ;)

Sorry, as I sent the message I thought you might come back on this point. Whilst I have not yet heard the EAD I believe it is truly competitive, many say superior, to the Proceed for music. Just about the only one that is, though many with Naim may disagree.

I agree with Henry, sit tight for the new improved Dolby TrueHD nad Dts facilities before trying a change, although these will undoubtedly be expensive at launch, and you can use the 6 analogue inputs and the processing in the player if you have that option on the AVP

As for component/HDMI switching, and offboard box, or even a video processor is an option. I just use a well programmed Harmony remote myself

Nic Rhodes

Now is not a good time to buy a processor if you want to add new features. I would hang fire until we start to see the next generation which is due in 2007. We have had a few years of little development in receivers but this will change. Worth waiting until then.

C

CogPaul

Henry, Pete and Nic are giving excellent advice here.

I have been using a Pioneer AX5 as a processor for 12 months as I wait for new processors to emerge- as a processor it is, at best, alright but nowhere near the quality of the processors I have previously owned. In your position I would wait- the few new features in the current av recievers compared to the AVP's level of performance makes any change now a waste of money. What's more you may decide to stay with older sound formats and purchase a used processor as the market will become flooded next year- giving us all the opportunity to try several marques at knock down prices?

R

recruit

Definitly hold fire on any purchases as there will be new processors on the Horizon...:thumbsup:

Kurchatov

Banned
With a really high end music system (Wilson Watts/Pass x1000 amps) the EAD sounds much superior to the AVP in 2 channel mode. In DD/DTS, the gap narrows.

Peter Baker

Novice Member
Custodian
Of course I can't resist stating that the AVP2 is a significant step up from the AVP. Most noticeable is the far tighter bass, with great weight and control. at the other extreme there is a greater delicay and transparency to the midband.
Naturally, I have to believe this, having laid out hard cash for the swap!!:D

Godfather

As an-owner of both units, I agree with Peter that the AVP2 is substantially better than the AVP.

I wouldn't buy a new processor right now.

SwissTony

Standard Member
Dear All,

Thanks for the help. The jury decision seems to be to hold on:rolleyes:

I nearly swaped the AVP for an MC8 two years ago (Harmon Kardon owns both brands and was offering trde in discounts when it discontinued Proceed - only in the US mind you), but held off then. Will hold my breath a bit longer....

vikingboy

Standard Member
Agree with comments re EAD 8800p smokes the AVP by a not insignificant degree. There also arent a lot of better sounding pre-amps out there regardless of cost.