Ex Member
Reaction score
Toshiba have announced the third generation players as mentioned HERE

They are A3, A30 and A35. Expected Pricing and Expected Availability:
HD-A3 ($299.99, October 2007)
HD-A30 ($399.99, September 2007)
HD-A35 ($499.99, October 2007)

Pretty interesting site that....

Nice. Look pretty good price too. Wonder if they put a decent quiet fan in them too ;)

Wonder when they are going to appear in the UK and what price we'll be looking at?

Cheers Phil. Not exactly works of art are they?

Anyway it is the performance that counts.

Cheers Phil. Not exactly works of art are they?

Anyway it is the performance that counts.

If only women were the same....

They don't sound revolutionary to your average user... maybe i'll just go with a cheap XE1 in a month or so :)

Following the announcement by Toshiba of 2 new HD-DVD players which will be launched shortly with 24FPS/1080p built in and audio support for the new Dolby and DTS lossless audio formats found on HD-DVD's, will that mean frustrated EX1 owners will NOT get a firmware up-date to output the required HD audio formats?

Are Tosh basically putting 2 fingers up to the early adopters who fund their profits and R&D and saying buy this new player instead?

My EX1 is still in the box waiting for my Panny 50PX70 to arrive, maybe I should keep it in there until later in the year?

If that does happen then my XE1 will be my first and last Toshiba HD-DVD player.

I am optimistic though...

I thought the statement was that "..Toshiba Europe won't be making 1080i players anymore after October: 1080p only."

And that "...24p being added to the older models. From December, all HD players will be able to replay 50p. (This means that European-originated HD shows will not need to go through a lossy standards conversion process to be released on HD DVD). "

Gazza

All - was scanning the web for fall in price of HD-E1 after reading about new US models - when came across link showing 2 new UK models.

Thought UK wasnt getting new models yet. But here they are;-
http://www.toshibahddvd.co.uk/products/hd-xe1/detailed-specifications.cfm
HD-EP35

HD DVD Output Resolution: 1080p/60Hz, 24Hz

Playback: HD DVD1, DVD Video, DVD-R/-R Dual Layer
DVD-RW/+R/+RW, CD-R/-RW

Standard DVD Video Upscaling2 to 720p, 1080i, 1080p

Dolby® Digital Plus, Dolby® True HD, DTS®,
DTS®-HD (core)

7.1 Digital Bitstream Output

HD-EP30 (HD-E1 replacement?)

DVD-RW/+R/+RW, CD-R/-RW

DTS®-HD (core)

2 Channel Analogue Output

CEC Funtionality (REGZA-Link)
Deep Colour Function
148MHz/12 bit Video DAC
Ethernet Connection

5.1 & 2 Channel Analogue Output

Deep Colour Function
148MHz/12 bit Video DAC
Ethernet Connection

Anyone else know any more about these players

More information below:-
Toshiba unveils cheapest ever UK HD DVD players

Hot on the heels of Sony’s budget Blu-ray player, Toshiba has announced two new HD DVD players for Europe that undercut it. The new players, dubbed HD-EP30 (pictured above) and HD-EP35, will go on sale in the UK in October, priced at 270 and 337 pounds respectively. Both will offer 1080p/24 image support and HDMI CEC link operability with Toshiba’s Regza TV range.
Both players can also decode Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby True HD and DTS HD soundtracks, upscale DVD to 1080p and offer Ethernet connectivity (mandatory on all HD DVD players) allowing access exclusive online content.
In addition, the HDMI v1.3 HD-EP35 also supports ‘High Bit Rate Audio’ (up to 7.1 channels) via HDMI and Deep Colour. Says Olivier Van Wynendaele, Toshiba’s Deputy General Manager for HD DVD: “Toshiba continues to lead the next generation field in terms of both technical specifications and, crucially, price. It was under a year ago that we launched the first ever HD DVD player in Europe at what was considered to be a very competitive price point, and that has led to HD DVD capturing a majority share of the high-definition, stand-alone player market. We are now delivering products with premium specifications that offer even greater value to the consumer and will continue to drive the adoption of the HD DVD format. Toshiba has also confirmed that it will soon issue a firmware update for the HD-XE1 and HD-EP10 HD DVD players that will enable 1080/24 display support.

Typing model number into Google revealing more snippets.
From
http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=65757

Almost 2 years ago, the first HD DVD PC was launched, in a high-end model. "That's going to change". From Q4 onwards, HD DVD will be a mainstream feature in Toshiba notebooks!

HD DVD already has a 70% share of the European IT market.

Starting Q4, the majority of Toshiba notebooks will be equipped with HD DVD technology. DVD is now mandatory in notebooks - now HD DVD is the next step.
75% of independent EU studios releasing titles on HD DVD.

Additional 90 titles promised by the end of 2007.

HD DVD is affordable. Players half the cost of BD players.
VENTURA player will be "300 euros or less". It makes HD DVD the true mass-market format.
Talking about Paramount and Dreamworks Animation. Chris Saito from Paramount takes the stand. He says that Paramount's decision based on 1 year's worth of evaluation, best value for consumers, best value for Paramount in terms of replication. Key catalog titles coming as well as Shrek and Transformers. He says they'll have more to announce in the near future.

Paramount and DWA will work within the HD DVD Promotion Group. "We will take things to new heights. Thank you very much".
Toshiba Europe won't be making 1080i players anymore after October: 1080p only.

HD-EP30 comes in October. 1080p/24, HDMI v1.2a output. 349-399 euro.

HD-EP35 is the high-end model, also in October. Same chassis as the EP30. But it has REGZA Link and HDMI v1.3 with Deep Color functionality, and bitstream output for HD audio formats. 449-499 euros.

24p being added to the older models. From December, all HD players will be able to replay 50p.
Onkyo DV-HD805: "the best of the best" which is surprising to hear from a Toshiba employee. 999 euros. Standout feature is the HQV Reon VX video processing chip.

The free movies bundle promotion is coming to Europe! 5 free movies free with each player. The titles are still being chosen - but MIGHT include Miami Vice, Batman Begins, King Kong, Chronicles of Riddick, and Troy.

I think the EP35 will be finding it's way into my home....

And the good news for those worried earlier in the thread is that the XE1 WILL get the update to 1080p/24 etc..

I have put the EP35 on my shopping list too. October can't come soon enough!

I think the EP35 will be finding it's way into my home....

Does anyone know if these will have JPEG support. Or am I the only person who wants a proper 1080 line display of my digital photos?

There is a show at IFA in Berlin. However this are not from there yet, but UK.
2 new Toshiba HD DVD players are coming soon. (october)
Price range are for HD-EP30 350 to 400 Euro, and HD-EP35 450 to 500 Euro.

HD-EP35 is the high-end model, also in October. Same chassis as the EP30. But it has REGZA Link and HDMI v1.3 with Deep Color functionality, and bitstream output for HD audio formats.

Key features for EP-35 are

DVD-RW/+R/+RW, CD-R/-RW
DTS®-HD (core)
7.1 Digital Bitstream Output
5.1 & 2 Channel Analogue Output
Deep Colour Function
148MHz/12 bit Video DAC
Ethernet Connection

Key features for EP-30 are

DVD-RW/+R/+RW, CD-R/-RW
DTS®-HD (core)
2 Channel Analogue Output
Deep Colour Function
148MHz/12 bit Video DAC
Ethernet Connection

Another news:
Toshiba Europe won't be making 1080i players any more after October: 1080p only.
24p being added to the older models. From December, all HD players will be able to replay 50p. (This means that European-originated HD shows will not need to go through a lossy standards conversion process to be released on HD DVD).

http://testing.toshibahddvd.co.uk/products.cfm

I am NOT interested in an up-date for 1080P/24FPS, I am interested in having all the new lossless audio outputs that HD-DVD's promised but have not yet delivered, no one seems interested in this issue?

Will Toshiba issue this as a firmware up-date or not?

:lease:

I hope we get the firmware update soon.

I see no reason to trade in my XE1, but its good that new players are comming.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom