Next Gen Panasonic Neo Pdps (2010 Series)

Status
Not open for further replies.

niallec123

Standard Member
Reaction score
When are the first tv's of panasonics next generation arriving?

Been hearing that the company's next neo plasma's are a vast improvement over the current lineup with an infinite to 1 contrast ratio (I've been hearing)

Is this true?

Also, will led really be the future of tv's or will the "coff" better "coff" plasma still be around too?

any info will be great

thanks

n.a.

there is no one qualified to answer your question at this time.
all your going to get is opinions not fact .
just like some other threads at this time

wait till ces 2010 for your answer

I would be surprised if they've been able to make use of Pioneer technology (probably the only way they'd hit 1,000,000:1 CR) as I believe they've only been working with it since summer this year. 2011 maybe.

I would expect to see 3D plasmas with improved phosphors, improved processing, and the usual incremental contrast improvements rather than anything drastic. I'm sure they'll be using plenty of imaginary numbers no matter what the contrast ratio is though. They'll probably be more efficient/brighter again, and I have a feeling that they might change the front filter to better cope with ambient light.

I'm really hoping that the new phosphors make a big difference. The decay time on current plasmas is unacceptable in my opinion, and it will surely help motion resolution as well.

The current NeoPDP Panasonics are quoted as having an infinite contrast ratio, but that's something which can be ignored!

Not for a while yet I expect, at least a few months, but who knows for sure

Fingers crossed for better processing including greyscale adjustment! On paper, the current Panasonic sets are great, but I could never part money with them because I just don't get on with the processing and lack of image adjustment.

but I could never part money with them because I just don't get on with the processing and lack of image adjustment.
:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow
So what? It's all about the content and decent image. It annoys me when i people who spend all day messing about with Picture settings, just stick it on a preset mode, tweak it a little and sit back.

Nothing wrong with wanted to get the best out of a set, and limiting the controls is surely not the way to do it. For the money i'd certainly want the freedom to tweak away if i felt like it.

So what? It's all about the content and decent image. It annoys me when i people who spend all day messing about with Picture settings, just stick it on a preset mode, tweak it a little and sit back.

...but greyscale controls lead to a better image ;)

Hi,

Aesthetically, I think (not sure though) that they indicated they may bring 1" slim plasmas this year?

Suave!

Hi,

Aesthetically, I think (not sure though) that they indicated they may bring 1" slim plasmas this year?

Suave!
Yes, but i can't find them in the shops. You mean the one with the Wireless transmitter?

1" plasma is quite impressive, but there are now thin LED tvs, which don't have the cool wireless function though.

54" for the living room, 46" for the bedroom with my dvd/br players etc on my bedside table.

Sorry that I have different priorities in a display to you.

You are right, it is all about the content, so I'd rather have a display that allows me to get the best out of it. The Panasonic presets don't suit my taste, and that's fine, just as they suit yours.

Yes, but i can't find them in the shops. You mean the one with the Wireless transmitter?

1" plasma is quite impressive, but there are now thin LED tvs, which don't have the cool wireless function though.

54" for the living room, 46" for the bedroom with my dvd/br players etc on my bedside table.

Hi,

I'm sorry, I meant next year (duh!) & that across a few of ranges not just the flagship ones.

Suave!

A dealer who I know well told me to hold off from buying now as the newer series will be slimmer and will have much better black levels. Time will tell I guess.

My guess is that more of the upmarket models will take some of the characteristics of the Z model - slim design, maybe wireless and the styling. 3D is going to feature heavily, I would guess too.

I remember reading that there was a non-wireless (thus wired...) version of the Z series on its way.

As someone noted above, the fruits of gaining Pioneer's expertise might take a little while longer - but something to look forward to!

Roll on CES

A dealer who I know well told me to hold off from buying now as the newer series will be slimmer and will have much better black levels. Time will tell I guess.
That's true most years!
2010 is the second year for the neo-PDP panel so it's reasonable to assume they will squeeze more contrast, deeper blacks and less electricity consumption out of it. But it will be evolution not revolution. The Z1 is already only 1" thick.

The current NeoPDP Panasonics are quoted as having an infinite contrast ratio, but that's something which can be ignored!

It says infinite black, 2M:1 dynamic and 40k:1 native in marketing materials. For next year infinite native is promised. Panasonic has been working on this tech since summer 2008.

I can live with the image quality as it is, tbh - what I want is a new set that doesn't have that cheap, plastic look to it. And no, I can't afford a Z1. :D

Saw the announcement today that the next Panasonics with VieraCast will have Skype. That could be fairly useful.

It says infinite black, 2M:1 dynamic and 40k:1 native in marketing materials.

.....while in reality even the V10 only manages 1500:1 ansi contrast. The gap between reality and marketing gets wider every year, but the actual measured figureds don't improve a great deal.

Saw the announcement today that the next Panasonics with VieraCast will have Skype. That could be fairly useful.

Yeah - it's a nice touch. Is there any info on how much upstream bandwidth you need to run a 720p skype video stream?

Where would the mics/camera be?

Another fairly useful thing would be an internet browzer. Using the arrow keys to navigate links, number pad for typing and CH UP/DOWN for scrolling. I think the philips web equivalent of the V10 has a browzer, as it was featured on the gadget show, along with the samsung and V10.

I'd rather they concentrated on getting better picture quality!

Until they sort out the interface I just dont really see web applications on TV's being that much use. People who really want to have access to the internet from their sofa are far more likely to have a laptop/tablet/iPhone to do the job for them.

I was impressed with a family friend's 50G10 this weekend, the convienience of having the FreeSat built in was a worthwhile improvement IMHO (I have a HTPC for Freesat HD at the moment). I'd be willing to wait a little longer if the new models have FreeVIEW HD built in as it would save another box...here's hoping anyway (plus being able to get a decent gamma out of the box).

I was impressed with a family friend's 50G10 this weekend, the convienience of having the FreeSat built in was a worthwhile improvement IMHO (I have a HTPC for Freesat HD at the moment). I'd be willing to wait a little longer if the new models have FreeVIEW HD built in as it would save another box...here's hoping anyway (plus being able to get a decent gamma out of the box).

Whilst it would be nice to have Freeview HD built in you are still going to need another box in the shape of a HD Freeview PVR if you want to record anything in HD ... so theoretically you won't be "boxless" unless you never plan on recording anything.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom