1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Next Gen Nvidia Cards

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by sleepyone, Apr 14, 2004.

1. sleepyone

sleepyone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Looks like they could be out by the end of May.

Press Release

Get saving now :clap:

2. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,720
    But when will games be coming out that need these next gen graphics cards? By all accounts Half Life2/Doom3 will run fine on e.g. a Radeon 9800Pro so I don't see the point of buying one of these next gen cards until they are really necessary, by which time they'll cost half as much!

Andy

3. sleepyone

sleepyone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I totally agree, i'm just happy as when they start coming out i'll be able to put my hands a cheaper high end card like the Nvidia 5950 or the 9800Pro.

I currently have a 5600Ultra and it doesn't cut the mustard, with current games like FryCry, where anything other than Low detail turns it into a slideshow. It may be that the rest of my PC is crap though :laugh:

I may just tough it out for another 6 months though and build a new PC in October when HL2 comes out.

4. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,852
    There's a review on THG here

5. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +847
    9800 pro's are already available for under £130. And considering how well it runs a game like Far-Cry, this is a very cheap price indeed.

6. MrFurious

MrFurious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,546
    i ve just ordered a geforce 5900xt which had decent reviews in mags for £100,hopefully this will run farcry ok?

7. sleepyone

sleepyone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    MrFurious

Can you let us know how FryCry runs on your PC and maybe your PC spec?

On medium video settings on mine it goes down to 10fps.
    Goes to 20-30 when i go LOW setting.

I got a XP2400 with 1Gig of 2700 DDR memory and an 5600Ultra.

8. MrFurious

MrFurious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,546
    my spec is pretty much the same as yours mate,2.8 ghz processor,i gig ram and a 5600xt card at the moment,as soon as i get ther new card in i'll let you know if its better,at the moment its nice outdoors but sluggish as hell inside!!

9. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,231
    Just take in to consideration the new type of fitting the graphics card to the MB which will be better than AGP

10. CENSORED

CENSORED

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's looking like nVidia's first batch of PCIX cards will have a bridge to the PCIX slot on the motherboard which suggests they could be modified AGP hardware which cannot match native PCIX speeds. ATI appear to be going to great pains to point this out and to confirm their own solution will be true PCIX hardware with the speed advantages that entails. It seems that the future is PCIX, 16 pipelines and 512mb! Sounds expensive. :(

11. sleepyone

sleepyone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    MrFurious

cheers mate, finding Farcry a bit tough but will be nice if i could make getting my head blown off looking a bit prettier :laugh:

That may be true but giving that the bandwidth of 8x AGP, which has been around for a while now,is only now beggining to be utilised fully by Nivida and ATI (see the performance jump in the 6800 range from 5900 while still using the 8x AGP) dosn't, in my eyes at least, make full native speed use as big a selling point as ATI are tryign to make it.

As always though we could argue about it all day or just wait until we see the first benchmarks?.......yeah right, FIGHT :devil:

12. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,852
    The problem for most people will be the fact that they are recommending at least a 480W power supply :eek:

13. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +847
    i wonder how they come to that conclusion? - surely it depends on what load you're running already. Is this coming from Nvidia?

14. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,850
    I must say the NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra is loking very nice indeed and will probably be my next upgrade.

I must say, personally i'm not someone who must have the best card as soon as it comes out as that seems a terrible waste of money to me. Instead, every 2 or 3 generations I will update my card to the latest and best thing and I find that this does me for the next couple of years or so. In the last 5 years I have had 2 graphics cards, my original one was a GF2 256GTS and my latest (about 2 years old now) was a GF4 Ti4400. This has been a good card and still plays the vast majority of stuff very well on my computer, even farcry is pretty good with minimal to no slowdown on medium settings @ 1024 x 768. I think personally i'll go for a new card soon though, especially as this next generation is showing the biggest perfomance rise we have seen since the GeForce cards came out.

I'll wait and see what ATI offer and until a good range of the next gen cards are available before I make my choice though.

May need a new PSU though if the Toms hardware review is anything to go by! The new Ultra card needs two dedicated power leads from the PSU to be connected to it!

15. sleepyone

sleepyone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I'm with you gthom3.

My first card was a top end Creative Geforce256 and then it was top end Sparkle geforce3Ti500.

Stupidly at that point i didn't follow my own advice and bought a mid range Gainward FX5600. Now i'm in the position of 8 months after i bought it, i'm looking to upgrde as FryCry runs like treacle on it in anything other than Low vid settings.

So my next card will be a topend job that will last for at least 18 months.

Will wait and see what ATI bring out, and maybe try and hold out until HL2 comes out before i buy, but i think either way I will need a bigger power supply and will have to see if i can move my Firewire MotherBoard connections to the front of my Machine instead of the PCI slot.

16. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,107
    I find the best bet is to always buy the series of card that is one step down from the top dog.

They are usually nearly as powerful (minus a few fps for current games) but half the price.

By the time you want to upgrade it you would already be looking at a new card.

This method has seen me upgrade about every 2 years.

17. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,850
    Yeah I never buy the absolute best card but I buy one from the latest series, otherwise i'd be upgrading again a year later (or less). Last time I decided on release that the GF4 Ti4600 was too pricey so went for the Ti4400. If i'd have gone for the series down (GF3) then i'd have had to upgrade a while back, where as my GF4 still plays the latest games pretty well. I'll buy one of the next gen cards, but not the top models.

18. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,107
    Well I did mean one step down in the series..... ie Ti4400 instead of Ti4600. Or 9800Pro rather than 9800XT Pro.

Slight misuse of the language there :p

19. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,850
    Ah my appologies Sinzer, in that case we seem to have adopted similar Graphics Card buying habits :) .

You do find that the Ultimate top card does initially have a ludicrous price tag - I think when I got my Ti4400 (on release) it was something like £249, I think the Ti4600 was £400+!! Slightly better card but unless money is no object, or you are a pro games or something, they make little financial sense.

20. MrFurious

MrFurious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,546
    i ordered the new sparkle 5900 xt,it had some goods reviews so it had better be ok,anyone confirm.

21. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,852
    The new line of ATI cards is reviewed here THG
    Interesting that it only requires one power connector and will only use slightly more power than it's current top of the range cards.

22. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,850
    yeah the X800 XT Platinum looks a nice card, however the pro version drew my attention through it's launch price tag. I guess it's wait ad see time until all cards have been properly launched and their prices have settled a little.

23. CENSORED

CENSORED

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, the Pro will overclock nicely up to XT specs, all that's needed is to enable the four redundant pipelines and you've got an XT at Pro prices. I wouldn't doubt someone's working on that very thing right now.

24. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,850
    excactly - so far that seems to be the card to go for IMO - great performance with a decent price. I may leave the cards a month or two before making a purchase as the prices have a habit of altering as they bring out some slightly higher end models.

25. jelly

jelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    anyone know how good the 9800 pro atlantis 128 mb is seriously considering getting one

26. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,826