1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Next-Gen Consoles & HDMI/DVI

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Logan09, May 30, 2005.

1. Logan09

Logan09
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Does anyone know whether the next-gen consoles will require a HDMI input, or whether you could use a DVI (non-HDCP) with an adapter?

I know you will be able to connect them by RGB/Component as well, but I'm talking about the best possible connection. I was basically wondering if I buy a Toshiba 27WL55 then will I be able to use a DVI-to-HDMI adapter with the Xbox360/PS3?

2. SIDEARM

SIDEARM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PS3 will have HDMI out as standard so you can just use an HDMI -> DVI converter, no probs. XBOX 360 has a proprietary AV out just like the XBOX. It is digital so there is no reason why a range of cables shouldnt be available covering any type of connection you want. What we do know is it comes with a component cable in the box, so you will have to pay extra for a digital cable.

3. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    Xbox 360 comes with a Component Cable in the box? Wow - that is very surprising. I guess they really are serious about pushing the HD side of it.

Also I can think of no reason why Component cables wouldn't be made available for the next generation consoles. However, they probably won't output High-Def movies over them (they'll probably be scaled down to Standard Def) due to there being no form of copy protection that Hollywood deems safe.

4. SIDEARM

SIDEARM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well they have confirmed a component cable in the box for the US market anyway, heres hoping theyre not going to shaft us by just giving the UK a composite or something.

5. SIDEARM

SIDEARM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ooh confirmed: XBOX 360 comes with a single cable that has both composite and component connectors on it. Pic here: http://img283.echo.cx/my.php?image=360hdadapter8fm.jpg

Also there is an official VGA cable now. Pic here: http://img266.echo.cx/my.php?image=360vgaadapter2gw.jpg

Both apparently have gold connectors, whether that makes a difference or not I dont know.

Get more info in this thread: http://www.hdtvarcade.com/hdtvforum/viewtopic.php?t=2085&sid=fad20ae918dcebcbc9a67d9f01bc4c67

So which gives a better picture, component or VGA?

6. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    I'm inclined to say VGA might have the slight edge because it wouldn't have the 4:2:2 (I think?) compressed colour space?

7. Mad Jack

Mad Jack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    I saw the MS E3 press conference the other day and they said they'd instructed/requested that developers make all their Xbox 360 games support a default 16:9 aspect ratio and resolutions of at least 720p/1080i. They added that the games would still look great if they were displayed on 4:3 SD TVs.

8. Henders

Henders
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sorry for the stupid question, but does the VGA cable enable you to use the xbox with a computer monitor? If so, will it be able to output 720i/p to the monitor?

9. serial45

serial45

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    w00t! thanks for the info mate!

10. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    Yeah, that's what the VGA cable's for, and it will output 720p.

(No such thing as 720i though).

11. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I would expect this to be OK for games, but if you want to play pre recorded media, expect HDCP to be mandatory for HD output.

-Ian

12. singaporta

singaporta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've also dubts. Ps3 will have HDMI, which if I'm not wrong carry on also sound signal. My Sharp have only DVI so I will buy an adaptor but what about the audio signal?Consider I dont' have an home theater for digital audio signal. Is there an adaptor HDMI to DVI+rca audio?

13. SIDEARM

SIDEARM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes dont worry you shouldnt have any trouble finding an adaptor. In fact I would be suprised if sony dont have their own adaptor solution to this problem as vast numbers of people have DVI equipped tvs (far more than have HDMI im sure)

14. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    The PS3 has 2 HDMI sockets and the same multi AV socket the PS1 and PS2 had. You do not have to own an HDMI equipped display to use it. :rolleyes:

15. singaporta

singaporta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes I know I can use the actual component cable but if I want to have 720p or 1080i with digital signal and not analog like component one, I need to use the HDMI socket and a to DVI adapter

16. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    HDMI is digital audio, so its not a simple breakout cable for RCA analogue audio, you would need to do a D/A conversion. However, I would expect it to have its own audio analogue outs, probably in a similar fashion to the PS2 via the proprietry connector - which would probably carry analogue video too. It may also have a separate digital audio out too,like to optical connector.

-Ian

17. danvitale

danvitale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    The PS3 will contain a similar AV out than the PS2 has at the moment, so it should also be able to output HD via component.

18. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Except for much pre recorded content...