Next Conservative party leader

Who will be the next Tory party leader?

• Total voters

Smudges Dad

Distinguished Member

Smudges Dad

Distinguished Member
My thoughts are that out of all the Tories, only Sunak and Hunt are competent and sane. The rest are dangerous lunatics.

niceguy1966

Distinguished Member
Hunt seems to have played the same game Johnson played under May's leadership. He's popped up to stay in the public eye every now and then, but made sure never to be too close to Johnson.

Sunak may be dragged down when the Johnson ship sinks as he is associated with him too much.

Both are a threat to Starmer as they are far more complement than Johnson.

TheShrike

I have seen some talk that Liz Truss is seen by many party faithful as "The sucessor to Thatcher" - if there was someone in the running that is actually worse than Johnson, it's Liz Truss ***!

VastGirth

Banned
Sunak has got to be the prime candidate. Popular, posh, ethnic background, well spoken.

Javid also fits a lot of those criteria. He loses points for being a baldy though.

Hunt could also do it on the 2nd attempt.

Gove and Raab have too much baggage and are not well liked.

Truss seems like a nice enough person but does not present or interview well. She comes across as the female version of Tim Nice but Dim.

Everything Goes

Distinguished Member
I have seen some talk that Liz Truss is seen by many party faithful as "The sucessor to Thatcher" - if there was someone in the running that is actually worse than Johnson, it's Liz Truss ***!

Much as I hate Thatcher, at least she had a brain, Truss has a "this space for rent" sign inside her thick skull. Iron Lady, Stupid Lady.

TheShrike

Being as she is Home Secretary - I'm surprised Pritti Patel isn't an option.
Though thinking about it she's talked tough on law and order - and so alienated the more One Nation wing of the party but then not actually achieved any of her talk and so alienated the headbanger wing.

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
Truss. It has to be - the leader will need to be voted upon by the Tory membership and anyone remotely sensible has long since left. Ergo, the remainder would elect someone like Truss.

This said, I am far from convinced this is the end for Johnson.

Reese Withouterspoon

Distinguished Member
Sorry as I am to say it, if I was a Tory and had to make a selection out of that unedifying list of pondlife, it would have to be Hunt.

He has form for being an odious, unscrupulous, disrespectful scumbag - a view which would be endorsed by pretty much anyone in healthcare settings but one would hope and expect that if he wanted to be perceived a half-decent PM, the events of the past 20 months would prompt him to behave somewhat differently towards those in the medical, healthcare and caring professions than he has done in the past.

He has the distinct advantage of not being tainted by Johnson and his travelling caravan of halfwits.

D

Deleted member 897776

I voted for the one who looks like Keir Starmer the most so went for Hunt.

Agrippa 57

I voted "Other". I'm not interested in anyone from the Tory Party to be quite honest, but (not even a big "but"...) probably Tugendhat. If only because he has an arresting name. So call me shallow....

Smudges Dad

Distinguished Member
Being as she is Home Secretary - I'm surprised Pritti Patel isn't an option.
Though thinking about it she's talked tough on law and order - and so alienated the more One Nation wing of the party but then not actually achieved any of her talk and so alienated the headbanger wing.
She was about 8th or 9th on the betting odds so I didn’t add her or the list would be too long.

Nick74

Distinguished Member
The answer to the survey question is inevitably "some ghoul."

Whoever replaces Johnson will impose austerity, destroy already obliterated services, further hurt the disabled, identify scapegoats and manufacture consensus for all of the above.

They'll lie, and cheat, and rob us blind, and diminish rights and standards, and continue to damage our country via Brexit and adherence to Randian ideology.

I genuinely don't give a **** anymore who leads this band of psychopaths. I only care that the party they represent is pushed out of office at the earliest opportunity.

MartinP1

The answer to the survey question is inevitably "some ghoul."

Whoever replaces Johnson will impose austerity, destroy already obliterated services, further hurt the disabled, identify scapegoats and manufacture consensus for all of the above.

They'll lie, and cheat, and rob us blind, and diminish rights and standards, and continue to damage our country via Brexit and adherence to Randian ideology.

I genuinely don't give a **** anymore who leads this band of psychopaths. I only care that the party they represent is pushed out of office at the earliest opportunity.
Don't hold back, tell us how you really feel!

For me it's Rishi's to lose..... see how he has the first name recognition already?

Could be another 10 years of Conservative rule under him.

Nick74

Distinguished Member

For me it's Rishi's to lose..... see how he has the first name recognition already?

I was holding back.

Given the harm successive Tory (and Tory led) governments have visited upon my family, it I told you how I really felt the post wouldn't remain up for more than a minute.

Yay, Sunak for PM. He'll hurt people more than Johnson (and has no more of a social conscience).

Agrippa 57

Especially as his candidature - should he make it to the final two - will be voted on by people who've never actually seen him, are unaware of his ethnic origins (boy, are they in for a shock...) him and think his first name is "Richie".

MartinP1

Especially as his candidature - should he make it to the final two - will be voted on by people who've never actually seen him, are unaware of his ethnic origins (boy, are they in for a shock...) him and think his first name is "Richie".
Considering Labour have only over voted in white men as leaders I would suggest that Conservative members will not have an issue with Rishi.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN800B 8K TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Movies Podcast: 8th August 2022
  • By Casimir Harlow
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 8th August 2022
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Warner Bros Discovery set to combine Discovery+ and HBO Max
  • By Ian Collen