1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Next big thing

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by markshark, Sep 5, 2005.

1. markshark

markshark
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys/gals,

Some people on this forum seem very switched on with what products are coming on-stream in the next few months. What products are due on-sale at the end of this year/Q1 2006 that in your opinion make the next step up in LCD performance quality?

For instance, the latest Phillips looks great (although it isn't Freeview is it :( )

2. andrewfee

andrewfee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    The "next big thing" in LCDs is said to be Philips new backlighting system, due Q1 2006 (although it'll probably slip to Q2 knowing Philips - it was said to be in the latest model but was dropped)

Basically they'll be putting an adjustable strobing backlight in the sets. The flicker is said to significantly boost the response time on LCD panels, however it will almost certainly cause the LCDs to flicker like old 50Hz CRTs... which seems like a bad idea, in my opinion. That was one of the big reason I moved to LCD. (lack of flicker)

The backlight is said to adjust to the picture, like an auto-iris would do on a new projector, basically adjusting the light output of the set based on the scene being displayed (and ambient light) to give you the highest contrast, and best blacks they can.

Again, this is something that sounds really good on paper, but may not actually work too well. The constantly adjusting brightness might be straining on your eyes (just like the strobing backlight) and may be very distracting.

Other than that, I can't see anything else being talked about that will offer a big leap. (if it works, which seems unlikely)

There's also talk of LED backlights instead of current CCFL (cold-cathode fluorescent) bulbs, supposedly reproducing a bigger colour gamut (range of colours) however the new Sony Qualia 005 (ultra high-end display) uses this, and it is said to cause uneven backlights and can tint the image. So again, it seems to cause more problems than it solves. (although I see nothing wrong with the colour range/reproduction from current LCDs)

3. DangerMouse!

DangerMouse!

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I heard Toshiba are working on a new flat panel based on SED (Surface-conduction Electron-emitter Display) which uses phosphors activated by an electron emitter, just like standard CRT tube televisions. This may be out in 2006.

4. andrewfee

andrewfee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    SEDs will be shipping in Q1 '06 in Japan. I had thought it would be the winning flat-panel technology until I heard impressions from people that have seen them in person.

The old CRT flicker is back with them, and as they're phosphor based, could be succeptible to burn-in.

That's not really up and coming "LCD" technology though. ;)

5. igauk

igauk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    The most promising development that I have read about is OLED. They're in some phone screens now but I suspect it will be a year or two before we see them as TV screens. If they perform as suggested they look like the holy grail of TV screens.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OLED

6. andrewfee

andrewfee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    OLED is very promising, but it'll be years before we see them in big displays, especially at reasonable prices. They've got a lot of things to still work out. There's big issues with the lifetime of the panels etc right now, for example.