1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Next best projector after Mitsubishi HC900?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Murray, May 28, 2005.

1. Murray

Murray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I now have the Mitsubishi HC 900 and I think its a really good projector but its now time to seek something better, but WHAT?
    Things im looking for are, it must be DLP, great contrast, bright light, low fan noise, res 720p, lens shift, no rainbows, would like to also have power zoom and focus. Its a lot to ask for I know. I would also like to keep the cost under $10,000. Anyone seen the Mitsubishi HC 900 up against the SharpvisionXVZ2000? The 2000 has all the things Im looking for but maybe the results arnt as good as the 900? Any ideas, Im interested in others thoughts? ty Murray :suicide:

2. maj74

maj74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Hi,

Saw the HC900 v the Sharp next to each other a couple of months back.. Very diffilcult to seay which was better. They produce 'different' pictures but I couldn't say one was better than the other.

Now I know you say tou want DLP, But I went to look at the Mit and the Sharp at the same time as I went to look at the Sony HS-50 (LCD) and from all 3 I came away with the Sony...

So that should tell you something!! ;-)

Regards,

Martin

3. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    I take it from your $10,000 price tag that you're in the USA?

The Optoma H79 ($5568) will fit the bill:

http://www.bestbuypcs.com/store/cgi...4&ovchn=BIZ&ovcpn=Bizrate&ovcrn=H79&ovtac=PPC

Genuine 2900:1 contrast ratio when set to D65 (more if it isn't, and this figure is 1000:1 more than the HC900 @D65), and plenty of lumens - 775 in hi lamp, and 578+ in low lamp. This is due to the DC3 chip it uses which gives more contrast and lumens and a better black level at the same time. It has an 8 segment colour wheel which helps reduce dark area dithering and some say reduces rainbows for them. It also has lens shift and electric zoom and focus from the remote. As for quiet, it is rated at 23db and is the quietest pj Greg Rogers of Widescreen Review has ever tested. The only way to know about the rainbows is to demo. The H79 isn't currently available outside of the US except if you import it.

The Sim2 300e ($8899) gets excellent reviews, so that should be worth a look too, with great colours and processing. I don't know what the CR is on that model, but you should find the image impressive: http://www.pricerunner.com/sound-and-vision/vision/projectors/324344/prices

The Sharp and Benq 720 models will have less cr than you're used to and may dissapoint when compared to the H78 or 300e. Only a demo will help you decide.

Other DC3 models include the Infocus 7210: http://www.pricemad.com/productdetail.asp?level=141&catid=143&productid=4343

HTH

Gary.