1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nexnix or Ellie?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by wbessada, Jan 23, 2004.

1. wbessada

wbessada

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hi Guys,

I'll be buying a screen soon to install in a ceiling recess (probably 250cm wide screen) and have narrowed my choices down to Nexnix or Ellie.

My projector is natively 4:3 so I'm also thinking of going with a 4:3 screen as that'll give me the bigger image when I run the proj in 16:9 mode.

Does anyone know if these screens can be set to stop at two different points? one for 4:3 and one for 16:9?

Any thoughts on Nexnix vs Ellie?

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    I'm using some 1.2 gain screen material from Ellie, and I've no complaints.

I'm a bit curious by what you mean by getting a bigger picture in 16:9 mode - it should be the same width in both 4:3 and 16:9, only the height should change.

I've a 4:3 pj, but I run it as 16:9 all the time, so my screen is also 16:9. I don't watch any sports on it, and I feel that tv stuff should be smaller than movies otherwise they can lose their impact IMHO. Mind you, some older 4:3 classics would probably look amazing being larger though. YMMV.

I believe some screens can be made to stop where you want them too, though you'll probably be better of asking the supplier/manufacturer before you buy.

Gary.

3. Godfather

Godfather

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +224
    The Nexnix screen can't be set to stop at 2 different points, only one. The same with Ellie screens (with the exception of their top of the line screen which is multi-ratio and has electric masking). I've an 81" (diagonal) Nexnix and I'm still very happy with it after 3 months.

4. thfccambs

thfccambs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,816
    Godfather,
    thanks for your help,screen will be here on friday.Spoke to kevin at nexnix and he was also very helpful.Did try to PM you but your box is full.
    Thanks again GF.
    jeff

5. Rattus

Rattus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would appear to me that the Nexnix electic and Ellie Advantage electic screens are basically the same units. They are apparently made in the same factory, and from the pictures on the Nexnix site they look like they are very similar case extrusions, as you would imagine. Both use Somfy motors also (very quiet compared to the DRH screens it would appear).

For these reasons I certainly can't see any great reason to choose one over the other, it comes down to price (Ellie is actually a touch cheaper, but it's beer money really). At the moment I'm likely to go for Ellie purely because they are easier to get to in the event of any problems (always nice to use a vendor you can harass in person ;o)

So what do people reckon to their Ellie Advantages? I'm looking at the 200cm size. If anyone has one in the Cambridge area, I'd love to see one in action.

Martyn

6. ailean

ailean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just took delivery of my 200cm today, should have it up tomorrow night so I can see my HS20 in it's full glory. ;)

Will post results, although it's got to be better then the bedsheet. :)

7. wbessada

wbessada

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    which did you get - nexnix or ellie?

8. ailean

ailean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ellie, it was cheaper and they responded quicker to my questions. I did have to wait a few extra weeks for stock to arrive but they were fairly good at keeping me uptodate without me having to chase. :)

9. Rattus

Rattus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    aileen,

We're about to order the same screen as yours, the Advantage 200 x 112. We also use a Sony HS20, so we'd be really interested to see what you reckon to it.

Currently using the Sony pull up screen, that we got thrown in by HiSpek, and are looking to get a larger screen, which doesn't occupy most of the sideboard top.

Cheers

Martyn

10. ailean

ailean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As long as it doesn't fall down and kill my av stack I should be able to make some comments tomorrow. ;)

But I've not seen my HS20 on anything other then a not flat white bedsheet so I expect to be impressed.

Cambridge isn't a million miles away from me either (well 146.1 km ;) ) so if you're desperate to see the results...

My main concern is whether I should have gone for something with a lower gain to help reduce blacks but I'll just be happy not having to watch scenes wave past on a creased sheet.

EDIT: Due to a general lack of feeling fit with the installers (ie my mate and I :) ) I've put off the raising of the titanic (screen) till the weekend, the daylight will also be handy. ;)

11. Rattus

Rattus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wish you luck with fitting, though the diagrams make it look pretty straightforward.

On the grey screen front, I'm not entirely convinced, because of course they darken the whites also. I'd be tempted to setup your lighting so that you can have some gentle illumination near the screen, without shining onto the screen.

These are known as "bias lights" and help you percieve the blacks as being darker than they appear in darkness.

There's a good example here (though I'm not so keen on the styling):

http://www.smartavtweaks.com/biaslights.html

Enjoy

p.s. please let me know if you have any ripples in the screen, that's probably my greatest fear in buying a screen.

Cheers

Martyn

12. sneaky

sneaky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys,

Just received my Ellie Fixed frame Vogue. Ordered Monday 1 pm received Tuesday at 10:30 am. Excellent Service.

My HS20 comes tomorrow, feels like christmas all over again.

I have been using an Hitachi Data projector and a a cheap Nobo screen from work to get sizes of screen that I can use etc and the picture wasn't great. I tried it on the Ellie last night and what a difference it made(even to a data projector) so expecting great things from my HS20.

I don't know if anybody has got a Vogue, it is certainly a strange beast and I was a bit shocked at how it went together at first but seems to do the job.

Chris

13. ailean

ailean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmm... I have an X10 controlled lamp near the screen, if it is truely blackout material I might place this behind where the screen drops to give an ambient (sp) glow from behind it (it's going to hang between the bay window so will have a slight glow during daylight viewing.

Only problem is I've pulled down the sheet now so no more pj till it's fitted! ;)

The pictures I've seen of Ellies from this forum have been ripple free but I think I remember at least one batch being bad. This is worring me especially as there's no way to check untill after you've hung and wired the thing up. :(

14. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    I can confirm the Ellie are having problems at the mo getting screen with the correct geomtry and ripples. Have a look at my site for pictures

15. ailean

ailean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    YAH! :clap:

After much effort and screw ups I finally managed to get the screen up today, on my own too! :eek:

Very impressed, it's completely flat with no flaws. Picture looks alot brighter with more depth then the bedsheet. ;)

Definatly a :smashin: for the Ellie Advantage 200 from me.

16. thfccambs

thfccambs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,816
    Recived my screen from Nexnix,all set up.Got the Nexnix 7ft for just over £450 delivered,Well impressed with this screen no ripples lays very flat .Worth every penny and very easy to set up the drop on this screen.
    Big thanks to Godfather and Jack daws for there help.Also kevin at nexnix who was a great help and also got me a replacement screen within a day as the first one sent was only 6ft.

17. ailean

ailean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't know if you're still reading this wbessada but I've found a nice way to make any electric screen have multiple stop points.

Using X10 gear replace the screen switch with a SW10G and get the IR control unit IR7243. Providing you have a programable remote with long delays (mine needed 24 sec) then setup up this macro;

X10 device code, eg (A)1
    X10 device off (read as close/down by the SW10G)
    delay for n seconds, eg 24 for me
    X10 device off (read as stop by the SW10G)

Then just repeat the same for the second position, ie time it and change delay.

Just make sure you calibrate the SW10G for the lowest position so that any 'X10 device on' command will completely retract it.

You can also use the Dim and Bright commands to nudge it up and down a couple of inchs for manual adjustment.

18. wbessada

wbessada

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hi Ailean - yep still following the thread. Thanks very much for your post - that's exactly what I was looking for. I'm guessing a pronto can deal with the long delay required?

I have actually bought an SW10G from another forum member in anticipation that it may provide a solution.

I'm hoping to purchase my screen in the next couple of weeks and will definitely give this a go!

Do you use this to get 16:9 from a 4:3 screen?

Thanks again!

19. ailean

ailean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pronto will be perfect, I'm using a Pronto emulator on a PDA to do it here.

My pj and screen are both 16:9 so I only need the one position, not got my pj mounted yet so doing it this way is easier till I finalise the positions.

Only thing I have to say about the SW10G is that it's a bit of a pain to mount/wire. I used a deep back box, half a dozen washers on each side screw to raise the metal mounting plate so it's level with the box top then brought the wires thru that and the plastic rim before connecting to the switch. Because it's a euro fitting there's still a little gap at the corners of the box and rim lid. A bit of work could tidy that up thou if you can be arsed. ;)

20. Rattus

Rattus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right oh, that's it I've just ordered mine. Now I just have to wait a couple of weeks for it to arrive. Still gives me some time for furniture construction and maybe some X10 installation for the lighting.

Sorted

Martyn

21. ailean

ailean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well done Martyn! Only problem with X10 is once you start it's tricky to stop. Now I've got the screen up and wired I want to add more, probably PC controled timers for some lights.

Guess I should finish the PJ setup first and sort the mount out so I don't have to climb over the sofa to reach the living room. ;)

22. Rattus

Rattus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh yeah, I'm aware of that particular problem with X10, we have worked out really rather a large amount of automation that'll end up on the "to do" list.

BTW, I designed my own ceiling mount for the HS20, as I wanted into to mount very close the ceiling, so as to avoid too much ducking/blinding.

If you want some pictures or plans, just say. You do have to be about to bend aluminium sheet - but I used the jaws of my Workmate with great success.

Cheers

Martyn

23. ailean

ailean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Depends just how 'close' you're talking. ;)

I've got to play with a laser this week and work mine out but I've got a support beam and an uplighter between the pj and screen so can't be too high. It'll be above the sofa in the end thou so not in walking head areas.

I don't really trust my skills anyway and may even chicken out and get someone to install it so they get the fun of trying to drag all the cables. :)

24. wookieman

wookieman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I made my own mount for the HS20 aswell, mine sits approx 6" off the ceiling but could be altered to be anthing from 2" upwards and is adjustable in all 3 axis and very easy to make if you have access to a welder.

As for hiding cables I've run them through the curtain pole and then down some conduit down the edge of the window that is hidden behind the curtains :D

Now I just gotta decide what screen to go for .... :confused:

25. Rattus

Rattus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Woot!! My screen is here, it would appear that ScreensUK actually had one more screen than they though they had in the last shipment, so sent it yesterday.

Looks like I get to try mounting it tonight.

Martyn

26. ailean

ailean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yah! Least you can rope the better half into the lifting bit. :)

Getting the holes just right is the most pain but once the brackets are up it'd be a snap with two people.

The instructions are a little basic but wiring is black for up and brown for down (I think ;) ).

I haven't got my locking springs in yet (hoping for no earthquakes :rolleyes:).

Have fun!

27. MATT JENNER

MATT JENNER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi

I have the Ellie Duet With the dual electirc masking as well,
    It does rock, it is tab tensioned and along with the electric masking makes it look really cinematic.
    The screen is one of their best and with their top service it is agood buy