Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Nexnix demo .... which to see ?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Noger, Sep 30, 2003.

1. Noger

Noger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Off to Nexnix on Thursday to have a look at some projectors.

They have ....

IBM ILV300
    NEC HT1000
    Panasonic AE-300
    Sanyo PLV-Z1
    Sharp XV-Z91E
    Sony VPL-HS10
    Toshiba MT500

Other than making sure I look at both DLP and LCD are there any "Must See" PJs ? Budget is about £1.5K ex VAT.

And I take it from previous comments not to look at the HT1000 unless I want to be VERY tempted ?

2. Noger

Noger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Will answer my own question then :p

IBM ILV300
    not just Rainbows ... but Fred Jane and Roddy too. Just not liveable with, nice picture though, and great price.

NEC HT1000
    The odd rainbow, good picture, but not the knockout I was expecting.

Sanyo PLV-Z1
    Loved the colours and the sharpness, but the screendoor is very visible at the same screen width as the others, loved the look when the screen size was reduced to 6ft or so.

Panasonic AE-300
    Nice picture, but a little soft for my taste though, but at the price it is fabulous.

Sharp XV-Z91E
    Despite not having even considered this PJ before going ... I was absolutely blown away .... not a single rainbow, blacks were very black, perhaps not as sharp as the NEC. Slightly noisy. Smart !

Toshiba MT500
    Aceptable level of rainbows, good contrast.

Hmmmmm, lots to think about. But pretty certain I am waiting for the Z2 ....

3. ivor2003uk

ivor2003uk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    i take it the sony Vpl hs10 was broken then ,

oh well, i got one on order, was anxiosly awaiting your review and all

:(

4. Noger

Noger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, sadly they didn't have an HS10 demo machine available.

Should be going back to have a look at the Z2 in a month or so (ah, they joy of living 15 miles from Nexnix), so planned on having a look then, or maybe they will have a demo HS20 ... that would be nice !

5. Supernosh

Supernosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am surprised you rated the Sharp XV-Z91E over the NEC HT1000 . Have heard good things about the Sharp but nothing but amazing reports on the NEC.

I am toying with the idea of a DLP, currently have a Panny AE100 and whilst it is superb for the money I get the feeling there may be PJ's with better picture quality!!

When cash alows I think I will pay a visit to Nexnix as they seem to cover most bases.

6. Noger

Noger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am surprised you rated the Sharp XV-Z91E over the NEC HT1000 .....

Me too :D

7. Supernosh

Supernosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At £1200 less it would be sweeet!

8. Noger

Noger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lack of native 16:9 is the major downside for me. Although the downscaling of 4:3 to 16:9 hardly makes a difference in the brilliant picture quality of both....

I saw the Infocus 5700 on Saturday, which is 16:9 DLP, and thought it was stunning, perhaps not as contrast-y as the HT1000 but even close up the resolution was incredible. But @ £3000 is just too expensive for me.

9. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    God, please dont rub it in... Im trying to flog my plasma to get one of these. Bloody hell!!

S.

10. Peter Baker

Peter Baker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Hi there
    I also have a Panasonic 100, and have now taken delivery of the Infocus 5700. Interest free credit helps to make the cost acceptable!!
    The picture is an enormous leap forward. Out of the box the colours are far more vibrant, whilst detail on faces is quite stunning!!
    It's also goodbye to screendoor, which used to irritate.
    I'm still playing around with settings, but with multi user options, I think I can set up an alternative brighter image setting for use when the ambient light is high ( Ido not have the luxury of a dedicated HT room)
    I would also mention that analogue cable, routed via Tivo, provides an entirely watchable picture, which the panny certainly didn't.
    I looked at the Optoma H56, and the Sim2 Domino20 when choosing.
    The Optoma never really gave the wow factor, and showed only detail, rather than night and day improvement over the panny.
    The Sim2 was far better, and had deeper blacks than the Infocus.
    However the brighter image of the Infocus swung it for me, particularly as this translates into incredibly vibrant colours.
    It's also an advantage for watching sport during the day!

Good luck with your choice, whatever it happens to be.

Peter

By the way, I seriously considered the NEC, but couldn't find one to demo. Iwas also put off by the 4:3 aspect, and the dimmer output, particularly when scaling to 16:9

11. groovedigger

groovedigger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Where did you get your InFocus 5700 from Peter?

I too am in a quandry over the XV-Z91E and the 5700, and am also going from a demo at Nexnix...

I have a feeling I'd like a crisp defined picture and have been told that LCD projectors were never actually invented for Home Cinema use...

I find it hard to believe they have been adopted on such a scale, but as a novice I am not that familiar with their projected images.

Thanks in advance.

12. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,722
    Noger - pop up the road to Jeff place - www.projectorsareus.co.uk and have a look at the Sim range. He does other pjs too, and knows how to set them up.

I saw the Ht1000 alongside some Sims, the Sharp and Infocus X1. The HT1000 was only slightly bettered by the Sim2 in colour rendition and image smoothness.

Jeff knows how to set up projectors, and gives a great demo. You won't be dissapointed.

Gary.