1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NEX IIe VS iRiver iFP, Portable MP3 Players comparison req.

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by mechrekt, Apr 11, 2003.

1. mechrekt

mechrekt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm going to buy a portable MP3 Player.
    I'm taking in consideration only players with flash memory (no CD, minicd, dataplay or HD) because i'm interested in small players and if possible, no moving parts.
    After some visits on popular mp3-players web sites, I've done some conclusion and I'm taking in consideration two mp3 players:
    NEX IIe
    [​IMG]
    and
    iRiver iFP
    [​IMG].

Both of them seems to be very good, but I prefer iRiver iFP for the dimesions, functionality and beacuse it's newer. The big problem (for me) is that it uses ony internal flash memory. The NEX II instead, uses compact flash memory: I can buy 512CF card or 1Gb IBM Microdrive and use it also in my digital camera! :D

I've done this scheme that stores the main features compared for each player: I need your help to complete it and to let me decide which one is better and reliable for me.
    If it's needed, please add in the list other players to compare, but only, if it has the same features mentioned above.

NEX IIe:
    -----------
    Dimensions : 90x60x20.
    Weight : 65g.
    - It includes the battery?
    LCD : 112x64 matrix with back light.
    File Type : Plays bitrates up to 320kbps and VBR.
    MP3 TAG : ID3 V1 Tag.
    - Is ID3 V2 compatible?
    Memory : Infinite memory & storage expansion configuration with Type I & II Compact Flash memory cards, IBM's MicroDriveTM (currently up to 1 gigabyte).
    Connection : USB.
    - What USB version?
    Battery : 2xAA.
    Firmware : Infinite expansion capability via NEX II™'s ability to accept different modular plug-ins.
    - How much it will be able to support in the future other audio formats like MPC, OGG, FLAC...?
    Audio quality : what about the quality? Someone has tested it?
    Notes : "Smart Power" NEX IIe™'s improved circuit design allows for drawing power from USB. This not only allows you to save battery life during song transfers but it can also power itself via AC power adapter.

iRiver iFP:
    -----------
    Dimensions : 31x28.5x82.
    Weight : Approx. 32g (Excl. battery).
    LCD : ? with back light.
    File Type : Plays bitrates up to 320kbps and VBR.
    MP3 TAG : ID3 V1 Tag, ID3 V2 2.0, ID3 V2 3.0, ID3 V2 4.0.
    Memory : Internal memory : the size depends on the model.
    - Only internal flash memory is available (512Mb Max. for the iFP-195TC model).
    Connection : USB 1.1.
    Battery : 1xAA.
    Firmware : ?
    - How much it will be able to support in the future other audio formats like MPC, OGG, FLAC...?
    Audio quality : what about the quality? Someone has tested it?
    Notes : Integrated FM Tuner; Voice Recorder (MP3 encoder); Line-in Recorder (MP3 encoder) (Only in iFP-300 Series, The Craft! [New Product]).

2. phil5743

phil5743

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I've had a Nex IIe for a month now and am very happy using it with a 512mb compact flash card (shared with my Nikon 5700). It is quite light in build quality but feels solid enough with batteries inserted. The light weight also means it comes everywhere with me. It is very easy to use and is not too small as to be fiddly. Sound quality is very impressive but the supplied headphones are a matter of personal taste. I was put off using a Microdrive with it due to the battery life being CONSIDERABLY less. The best place to get info is http://www.advancedmp3players.co.uk . Also I use a card-reader to transfer files - by far the best method. Hope this helps.

3. mechrekt

mechrekt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you phil5743! Can you tell me more about card readers? They can be connected to a computer, or they works only with notebook like the pcmcia card readers?

4. phil5743

phil5743

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Card readers are cheap and widely available and connect via USB. The card is treated as an extra drive on the system and means that you never have to connect the mp3 player/camera directly to the PC. This is much quicker for data transfer than connecting the player itself. You can get pcmcia readers for laptops as well. Regards Phil.

5. Wingnut

Wingnut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Phil,

Do you know if the PCMCIA card readers for laptops transfer the data faster than USB 1.0?

I have a USB key and it still takes quite a while to transfer 256MB of data.

Cheers, Wingnut

6. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    Not considering a Creative Labs MUVO?

7. mechrekt

mechrekt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you NicolasB for the hint, but this player has internal memory only, so it cannot be expanded.

8. mechrekt

mechrekt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Both of them uses USB cable connection, so, why card readers are faster than the player itself?
    Maybe, because the card readers are USB 2.0 compatible?

9. phil5743

phil5743

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I'm not sure exactly why, but according to Advancedmp3players, a card reader is about 3x faster than using the Nex iie to transfer data. I know that both use the same USB 1.0 link but the card reader is soley designed for one purpose only so must be optimised for this in a way that the player is not. I also find it faster as the card reader is permanently connected to my system so I can put files onto CF cards without having to keep connecting the player.