1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newsgroup issues after free 2mb upgrade

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Dr Nick Riviera, Mar 9, 2005.

1. Dr Nick Riviera

Dr Nick Riviera

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all :)
    Was given an upgrade to 2mb from 1mb last week by BT and immediately my newsgroup service (Astraweb, which until now has performed faultlessly) has suddenly slowed to a complete crawl. Previously on 1mb it was very fast.
    If I test it using BT's own newsgroup server, the expected speed is certainly there, but everyone knows their newsgroup service is utter ar*e and about as useful as a fart in a spacesuit.
    Can anyone shed any light on what the issue might be? Or some suggestions as to what to investigate in conjunction with Astraweb support? All they have asked me for is my IP address to test with (although to be fair their response time was excellent).

Thanks in advance for any help - and if anyone else using Astraweb is experiencing problems all of a sudden it would be interesting to hear from you. I have seen another Astraweb user commenting on exactly the same issue this week on a newsgroup so I am not the only one it seems.

Nick

2. Dr Nick Riviera

Dr Nick Riviera

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Update
    Found this today on Astraweb support site:
    2005-03-08 17:13 EST

BT UK Customers:

We are currently experiencing high latency and packet losses between our ISP and BT. Our network technicians have contacted BT to resolve the situation. Unfortunately, the timeframe for resolution of this issue depends on the responsiveness of BTs NOC. We will keep you updated.

Bummer. Sounds like a buck pass to me, and if BT are disposed to move at their usual pace, no quick resolution in sight. Ah well.