NEWS: Yamaha announce new AV Receivers with Dolby Vision & HDR 10

Similar thread posted earlier here:
Yamaha announces 4 new 2017 receivers

I'm unsure why you've mentioned HDR10 in the topic title? All current Yamaha reveivers already support atatic HDR10. The new support awarded to the new upcoming models relates to Dolby Vision and HLG.

Last edited:
Any news on when the RX-A series are expected to be announced?
Keen to see what the RX-A3070 (if it is indeed named that) has to offer as I need to upgrade within the next 6 months.

Any news on when the RX-A series are expected to be announced?
Keen to see what the RX-A3070 (if it is indeed named that) has to offer as I need to upgrade within the next 6 months.

Last year they announced Aventage models at May, released at around September. So around 1,5 months wait for the info what they will offer in new range.

Last edited:
I assume these won't be HDMI2.1 at launch?

I assume these won't be HDMI2.1 at launch?

I'd not expect any version of HDMI more than 2.0b before next year from any of the manufacturers. You'd probably not need or benefit from HDMI version 2.1 for at least another 12 months and probably several years in relation to some of its abilities. Dynamic HDR10 will probably be the feature most will initially want it for.

I'd not expect any version of HDMI more than 2.0b before next year from any of the manufacturers. You'd probably not need or benefit from HDMI version 2.1 for at least another 12 months and probably several years in relation to some of its abilities. Dynamic HDR10 will probably be the feature most will initially want it for.
I'm probably more interested in the Adventage range, but i wouldn't want to drop too much on an AV receiver this year, for it to be considerably out of date a year later

Dynamic HDR10 is one consideration, but i'm thinking more of eArc (for built in TV apps) and VRR pass through, as i want to be able to use my PC with a HDMI2.1 enabled OLED preferably, though realise that is unlikely to happen this year.

VRR i'm hoping will be the freesync/gsync equivalent for large screen TVs

Shame none have a full set of pre-outs this year.

It is something you only get with the higher tier receivers these days. You'll more than likely get pre outs with the RXV783 and the higher tier Adventage models from the RXA870 and above?

It is something you only get with the higher tier receivers these days. You'll more than likely get pre outs with the RXV783 and the higher tier Adventage models from the RXA870 and above?
I have to admit that I assumed there wouldn't be a RXV783, because the rest of the RXV range was announced. It may well now be a feature reserved for the Adventage model to help differentiate them further.

Surely any receiver with HDMI2.0a/b will support HDR10, HLG and Dolby Vision passthru? I'm thinking Yamaha are trying to bamboozle the uninformed. Of course if the receiver has media player built in and can play Dolby Vision encoded video files then that would be a different matter and would require that the device has DV support.

Surely any receiver with HDMI2.0a/b will support HDR10, HLG and Dolby Vision passthru? I'm thinking Yamaha are trying to bamboozle the uninformed. Of course if the receiver has media player built in and can play Dolby Vision encoded video files then that would be a different matter and would require that the device has DV support.

No, there's no requirement for any device to support Dolby Vision or HLG and only certain chipsets can be updated to facilitate passing through of either DV or HLG. Also note that the information that Dolby were propagating that any HDMI version from version 1.4 onward would passthrough Dolby Vision simply turned out to be untrue. Even the most current receivers will need an firmware update in order to make them compliant.

No, there's no requirement for any device to support Dolby Vision or HLG and only certain chipsets can be updated to facilitate passing through of either DV or HLG. Also note that the information that Dolby were propagating that any HDMI version from version 1.4 onward would passthrough Dolby Vision simply turned out to be untrue. Even the most current receivers will need an firmware update in order to make them compliant.

I don't see how that makes sense. If a receiver is operating in passthru mode then it should be behaving like an HDMI cable. There should be no processing of the HDMI signal as such. I will be getting straight on to my receiver manufacturer support for clarification on this.

I don't see how that makes sense. If a receiver is operating in passthru mode then it should be behaving like an HDMI cable. There should be no processing of the HDMI signal as such. I will be getting straight on to my receiver manufacturer support for clarification on this.

Well it doesn't work the way you think it does.

D&M have already posted that they will be updating their most current Denon and Marantz receivers to enable them to passthrough DV and HLG:

HDR FORMAT COMPATIBILITY

Are you saying that their scheduled update isn't required?

It is more than probable that older Yamaha models predating the new ones will not be able to passthrough DV or HLG HDR. Whether Yamaha can update the older models is as yet unkown, but they will require an update in order to be able to do this. Here's what Yamaha have to say on the matter:

snapshot001.jpg

What is known is that if you want DV and or HLG passthrough then an update is required and no, you can't just pass it through without one.

Very interesting. I was under the mistaken impression that HDR metadata packaging was effectively invisible to the transport providing the bandwidth was there and the necessary processing was at either end of the chain. This looks like yet another unwelcome technical ball drop for home cinema HDR.

Very interesting. I was under the mistaken impression that HDR metadata packaging was effectively invisible to the transport providing the bandwidth was there and the necessary processing was at either end of the chain. This looks like yet another unwelcome technical ball drop for home cinema HDR.

Regardless, HDR10 metadata isn't Dolby Vision or Hybrid Log Gamma HDR.

Sadly by it's very name it meta data means that it is added and therefore transparent to the picture information but not to the device transferring that data.

AVRs that are HDR able stand a good chance of getting software update, will they get one is another matter all together

Just found out that there is a firmware update coming out to enable Dolby Vision on selected 2016 Onkyo receivers. I think my TX-RZ3100 should be covered by that ok. Quite shocked by the realisation today that the receivers actually need an update to just pass through Dolby Vision and HLG signals.

I'm probably more interested in the Adventage range, but i wouldn't want to drop too much on an AV receiver this year, for it to be considerably out of date a year later

I have to agree, I will wait till next seasons AV receivers now to replace mine same for the TV too

Surprised to hear. As I think Yamaha announce new xxx0 every August so assumed they would now wait till next models.

Well done Yamaha! Now please can you put 3 Hdmi outs in the next releases to match the D&M models, as current range only has 2.

It was interesting to hear on the podcast about the music cast dongle. I have always been happy with Yamaha from a support perspective, my old 2067 was still getting firmware updates up until last year. It's maybe too soon but I hope the Avantage range has hdmi2.1 or at least headroom for a firmware upgrade as I'm hoping to upgrade this year having held off on my atmos addition, potential uhd tv has blown my budget.

It was interesting to hear on the podcast about the music cast dongle. I have always been happy with Yamaha from a support perspective, my old 2067 was still getting firmware updates up until last year. It's maybe too soon but I hope the Avantage range has hdmi2.1 or at least headroom for a firmware upgrade as I'm hoping to upgrade this year having held off on my atmos addition, potential uhd tv has blown my budget.

Nothing big for 2017 models. Yamaha product line up 2017/2018

Thanks - I'd missed that.
It does state "latest hdmi terminals", will be interesting to see what that brings although assuming it may be the same as the V series. Surprised they didn't try 11.2 channels at least on the top end.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom