Quantcast

NEWS: Yamaha announce Dolby Vision HLG updates for 2016 AV receivers

ScottW75

Yamaha says it is committed to providing its customers with firmware updates where possible and this set is not the last announcement from Yamaha for 2017.

Is this a hint that the xx50 series will be updated as well? Hope so as a 3050 owner.

dante01

Distinguished Member
I think the issue with the x50 models is that they didn't utilise a true HDMI version 2.0a chipset to begin with and only facilitate HDR10 passthrough via software trickery. There may not be enough headroom remaining to allow the software to be further expanded upon in relation to HDR support?

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
i had the same heated discussion with Marantz, as they were boasting on their website about updating older av receivers, but said that the Marantz 7010 wasn't possible to do a dolby vision upgrade, but it was possible in the 7011 as the internals were different, how different could they be?

Simon F

Distinguished Member
I've noticed a number of AV retailers aren't stocking the X50 ranges now. Do they know something already?!

dante01

Distinguished Member
I've noticed a number of AV retailers aren't stocking the X50 ranges now. Do they know something already?!
The current Adventage series in the 60 and not the 50. The 60 series models are scheduled to be replaced by the 70 series toward the back end of this year. Most places have stocks of the 60 series. I'd not expect any to still have stocks of the 50 series which is nearly 2 years old now. Yamaha also tend not to saturate retailers with stock so stocks of the older models are depleted quite quickly when compared to stocks of receivers made by other manufacturers. It is also why the prices of the Yamaha models don't fall as quickly as their competitors because there's less unsold stock for retailers to get rid of when a model is discontinued.

bailey1987

Yamaha RX-A3050 owner here, I hope the firmware arrives on this model as there is next to no difference in the specification of the RX-A3060 and the RX-A3050.

Simon F

Distinguished Member
Yamaha RX-A3050 owner here, I hope the firmware arrives on this model as there is next to no difference in the specification of the RX-A3060 and the RX-A3050.
Me too, although what @dante01 mentions above in post #3 is quite specific as to why this might not happen.

I can go the two HDMI cable route to bypass the amp and picture direct to the TV but this might mean when HLG arrives I won't be able to have DV and HLG (via SkyQ) without unplugging cables.

Dunners

Nuts!
Why do these updates always happen when I'm on the road, away from my amp...
Oh well, somewhere a CXA5100 waits.

dante01

Distinguished Member
Nuts!
Why do these updates always happen when I'm on the road, away from my amp...
Oh well, somewhere a CXA5100 waits.
It is unlikely that an update will actually be released until at least the back end of this year. The update isn't yet available and isn't due any time soon. There's no real rush either because there's not really any Dolby Vision or HLG content to take advantage of it yet. Even the new RXV models that are about to be launched list Dolby Vision and HLG as a feature that will be delivered via a future update rather than listing this an an ability the new receivers will have out of the box.

snapshot001.jpg

MusicCast RX-V683 - Overview

Dunners

I got a txt from someone I know about 6 hours ago... saying his amp (RXA1060) now has Tidal.
Sooooooo...

But to be fair, I now have to call him and double check exactly what has changed on his amp (Tidal AND Deezer???) and if there's any info about Dolby Vision etc.
Again, there's no way I can check while away from my kit. However, the CXA5100 was slated for an update much later than the other products in the range.

DarkEntity

Yay... the RX-V681 is on the list of updates, good news for me :D

Dunners

*Because it's not on the list it doesn't mean it misses the update
*Cheaper amps like RXV481 / RXV581 don't feature video processing, so maybe the chipset isn't up to it. Maybe it is...

The only people who will know will be Yamaha Japan.

ashenfie

Good to see Yamaha making an effort to support last years models. Hope others follow.

Daytrader

*Because it's not on the list it doesn't mean it misses the update
*Cheaper amps like RXV481 / RXV581 don't feature video processing, so maybe the chipset isn't up to it. Maybe it is...

The only people who will know will be Yamaha Japan.
Ah ok, thx

stripeyjoe

Does this mean that Tidal would be 'native' inside the AVR, controlled via the remote and using the AVR's OSD or that it's another option on the Music Cast app running on your smart device?
Cheers,
Joe

dante01

Distinguished Member
Last edited:

stripeyjoe

That's a shame... The thing I like best about my apple TV is using the remote and a large screen with all the album covers or artist pictures. shame AVR manufacturers cannot use the same concept for browsing media. Bit like a built in Plex type interface. I just find it easier to do that rather than firing up my ipad/phone and starting the app just to get some music going.

Trending threads

Top Bottom