Quantcast

NEWS: Yamaha adds new A-S series integrated amps to website

bogart99

What is the point of those meters on the front? Superfluous I thought stuff like that died out in the 70/80s

ian34g

What is the point of those meters on the front? Superfluous I thought stuff like that died out in the 70/80s
Its called retro. You either like it or you dont. Technics also have some metered Amps.
Personally I rather like them and although pointless they look good to me.
It makes a change from all the boring black boxes out there and goes someway to justify the cost.
They do models lower down the range ( or they did ) without the meters.

Hixs

Distinguished Member
Oooo if anyone wants to shift on their AS1100 let me know :)

keithwiggins

Its called retro. You either like it or you dont. Technics also have some metered Amps.
It makes a change from all the boring black boxes out there and goes someway to justify the cost.
This Yammie design Dna has been a part of there look since the 70s. Must admit and it could be my age I love the look of there amp designs, particularly there switches and vu meters all that's missing is rosewood side cheeks.

bogart99

I am an old enough fart to have had amps, cassette players etc that had various bobbing meters.
Only time I ever found useful was the VU meters on my reel to reel tape deck. Now that takes me back
Dolby NR had just arrived for the man in the street.

ian34g

Same as. Only useful when a variable gain is available to adjust the clipping.
It's personal opinion on looks but I've always prefered the older equipment looks when it comes to HiFi yet when talking about cars or motorbikes I like the modern designs more.
Something about the "warm" feeling of a thunk and the meters lighting up when turning on the older gear. Much nicer than the tinny sound of modern relays clicking over.
Ah nostalgia .:love:

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
I like them. I had them on a very old Technics pro-logic amp, cannot remember now if it was a 30 or a 50 now. I know it only cost me £10 a year to own as I bought it new (the seller advertised it at the wrong price) and when I flogged it, I got top dollar for it

Since that product, I've always liked them, in fact they're shiny and I cannot help gravitate towards them whenever I see them

*photo from gumtree - who knows it could be my old unit too and it's only lost £20 from when I sold mine about 8 years ago. Some newer budget amps still cost more than it :D

ian34g

Thats bloody gorgeous, I used to lust after the top end Technics Amps back in the day.
Might even have a look about building a new setup! I'm off to scour the secondhand sales I feel a purchase coming on.:D

daddy999

I’ll not be upgrading my As2100. I’m love it and see no reason to change. Oh and I love the VU meters for no other reason than I just do!

bogart99

Can understand if you are a musician laying some music down, but and ordinary home amplifier no. I tend to use my ears.

Cliff

Distinguished Member
As has been said, its a retro fashion. In an amplifier it is pretty pointless. If the VU meter is adjusted to read say 100 watts at 0dB then at normal listening levels it hardly moves off the end stop. (sound is logarithmic). Secondly it is not really measuring watts, it is measuring voltage output. Watts can only be measured if you know your load.
But nice to watch, all the same.

Nuri58

I got the new STAX energiser also featuring a VU meter and with orange light. Somewhat cool and retro. However, it's showing the input signal strength and as such having the same function as the VU meters on reel to reel tape recorder.

TheHighFlyingBirds

Wish I could afford one of these, love my AS501, so can only imagine what one of these are like. Love the VUs, give a nice aesthetic appeal.

Trending threads

Top Bottom