NEWS: XGIMI launches Aura 4K laser TV

Pulse1

These UST Projectors keep coming and the more manufacturers on board the better. The big Tv manufacturers should start to get worried as the shift from big screen Tvs to UST Projectors is really starting to shift now into UST Projectors favour.

invisiblekid

Distinguished Member
These UST Projectors keep coming and the more manufacturers on board the better. The big Tv manufacturers should start to get worried as the shift from big screen Tvs to UST Projectors is really starting to shift now into UST Projectors favour.
I think as the main TV used for TV viewing during the day, they are not ready to take over the main TV role just yet, and for decent screen uniformity, you need to factor in a screen if one is not offered. But those with media rooms, or second living rooms? Hell yeah.

Sadly the missus has finally put her foot done and said I cannot put our 65" where I would like it to go in our new house.

However, I do now have a media room where something like this can go

........She doesn't know it's going to be a media room yet, but I'm hoping she'll not notice lol.

Last edited:

Vila

Reading the XGIMI website this is another DLP, 1080p 0.47''DMD XPR Chip doing 4 way shifting to create overlapping on screen pixels. As such it will also be locked to 60hz

This is not native 4k

Case Closed

Standard Member
I just saw a short review of this on the 'all things tech' YouTube channel. It didn't look too bad...

Captain Ron

Early days but definitely a technology on the move and to watch.
I know what my minimum requirements are to buy one.

1) Flexibility of projected image size.
2) Independant primary colour laser based (like Hisense Trichroma).
3) 3D support.
4) Dolby Vision support but if 2) can yield colour reproduction that exceeds REC.2020 do we actually need it anymore?
5) HDMI 2.1 with good gaming feature support and sub-30ms lag.

Are acoustically transparent ALR screens available?

CliffordinWales

Early days but definitely a technology on the move and to watch.
I know what my minimum requirements are to buy one.

1) Flexibility of projected image size.
2) Independant primary colour laser based (like Hisense Trichroma).
3) 3D support.
4) Dolby Vision support but if 2) can yield colour reproduction that exceeds REC.2020 do we actually need it anymore?
5) HDMI 2.1 with good gaming feature support and sub-30ms lag.

Are acoustically transparent ALR screens available?

I don't think the colour volume is the be-all and end-all here. While triple-laser UST projectors are an exciting technology and as you say can achieve 100% of BT2020, they still lag behind most TVs in terms of raw brightness. I believe you need a projector with >3,000 lumens to equal a 1,000 nit TV and >5,000 lumens to match a 1,500 nit TV.

Captain Ron

I don't think the colour volume is the be-all and end-all here. While triple-laser UST projectors are an exciting technology and as you say can achieve 100% of BT2020, they still lag behind most TVs in terms of raw brightness. I believe you need a projector with >3,000 lumens to equal a 1,000 nit TV and >5,000 lumens to match a 1,500 nit TV.
I don't think anyone is expecting a projector to be as bright as an emissive display but anyone buying one is probably going to be putting it in a room with some sort of lighting control like curtains at the very least and probably choosing a screen to help with ambient light as well.

CliffordinWales

I don't think anyone is expecting a projector to be as bright as an emissive display but anyone buying one is probably going to be putting it in a room with some sort of lighting control like curtains at the very least and probably choosing a screen to help with ambient light as well.
That's true, but in relation to your earlier reference to Dolby Vision you still might miss some of the HDR "punch" that a bright TV can offer.

Leaving aside brightness alone contrast ratio is another consideration- a 3,000 lumens UST may seem on par with a 750 nit OLED in pure light output terms, and of course the triple laser will have a massive edge in colour volume, but I doubt it will be able to match an OLED for contrast.

All this being said UST is an exciting technology and if you want a truly huge screen in a light controlled space, definitely the way to go.

Captain Ron

That's true, but in relation to your earlier reference to Dolby Vision you still might miss some of the HDR "punch" that a bright TV can offer.

Leaving aside brightness alone contrast ratio is another consideration- a 3,000 lumens UST may seem on par with a 750 nit OLED in pure light output terms, and of course the triple laser will have a massive edge in colour volume, but I doubt it will be able to match an OLED for contrast.

All this being said UST is an exciting technology and if you want a truly huge screen in a light controlled space, definitely the way to go.
Also realistically, a projector is the only foreseeable way to get a new 3D capable display.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: We review Dune and ask which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom