NEWS: Xbox Series X, more specs confirmed

geogan

‘While I get what you are saying and agree with some of it I think you are being a tad harsh on this console. It won’t be able to do 4K 120fps Ray Traced or not, that’s a given but what it will do is 4k 60fps for around £499-599. It will be more powerful by some way than the most common GPU used on steam (GTX 1060) and only 1% use a 2080 which this is rumoured to be around Performance wise.

This Xbox is also using RDNA 2 so we have no benchmarks to show how much (if any) that it improves from the current AMD cards on offer. As it stands (from the leaks) this could potentially be the 3rd fastest GPU behind only the 2080ti and 2080 and they are cards costing well over £500. This will be a good thing as it forces Nvidia to price cut and get competitive again just as AMD have done to Intel.

For Raytracing to take off we need graphic engines and games coded with this from the ground up so I don’t think we will see this for another 4-5 years in proper form.
I didn't mean to be harsh on the console - I think it (together with PS5) is a great leap and will lift up the baseline spec for future games which is the absolute best thing these new consoles will do - it will then improve all games for everyone, even PC from then on. Right now, we are being held back by ancient console hardware, so all AAA PC games are programmed to also be compatible with those.

I just wanted to reality check people saying this will do raytracing "just fine"... what it will do is minimal or fake it, just like every other system is doing right now.

Yes I agree, once this and PS5, and newer PC graphics cards all have built in basic raytracing hardware, then the next generation of game engines will be built up around this and work in all, and we might see some decent stuff in a few years.

geogan

Sounds a bit like the "checkerboard 4K" vs "Native 4K" debates. Does it really matter? If the games look better with fake/pseudo raytracing, then I don't really mind whether its true raytracing or not.
Yes it is like the fake 4k debate. People fooled by tricks so the marketing men could have their sales line.

As long as you don't say it does true raytracing.... which is what a lot of people (marketing) seem to be doing.

Similar also to the whole 4K ultra-HD disc debacle where 95% of movies on there are only 2k upscales, but they still want to sell them as 4K because they can then charge so much more for them.

geogan

I just want 60fps solid stable on all games not arsed about anything else. if they can deliver that ill be happy
But you could have gotten that on any midrange PC for years now, and now using a second hand graphics card like 1070 for sale for £200. So why are you waiting on some "next-gen" console to do it if that's all you want? :smashin:

RTC89

But you could have gotten that on any midrange PC for years now, and now using a second hand graphics card like 1070 for sale for £200. So why are you waiting on some "next-gen" console to do it if that's all you want? :smashin:
pc gaming been there done that for years and to be honest i prefer console gaming.
The games i like on pc are flooded with cheaters , wallhackers etc got fed up with it there anti cheat software is a joke to be honest.

tonyk79

Thats £200 providing you already have a decent base system for it to go into though. If you add the original cost of the system it’s probably mid £000’s if not low £1000 mark already and may not have other nice features like SSD. I think that’s what makes this Xbox so viable (if priced around £500) and could end up gaining some new gamers from the pc user base, especially those that can’t/won’t spend best part of £1000 on a GPU.

Hopefully this is the kick in the backside needed to push competition and game quality on. Those AMD Cpu are amazing value for money and I think Intel need a rebrand and new design to take the crown back.

rowedav

Distinguished Member
Yep 60fps solid no frame rate drops nothing just stable on all games i will be more than happy with that.
Depends on the game developers too though. Given there's plenty of games today that can achieve 4k60 on the One X, I hope 60fps becomes the minimum now. But then there may be games that are developed to run at 30fps and just use the all extra horsepower to ramp up the quality in terms of resolution, detail, lightning, physics, AI etc.

Cha1ky

Depends on the game developers too though. Given there's plenty of games today that can achieve 4k60 on the One X, I hope 60fps becomes the minimum now. But then there may be games that are developed to run at 30fps and just use the all extra horsepower to ramp up the quality in terms of resolution, detail, lightning, physics, AI etc.
And thats where i hope they drop the resolution to then hit 60FPS.

All the talk everyones saying these are crazy specs etc. SO doing 60FPS with bells and whistles shouldn't be a problem right?

Unfortunately we all know they'll be more inclined to hit the '4K' because that's the buzzword so there will be games at 30 FPS. I've already said as such (doesn't stop some from thinking otherwise though unfortunately).

RTC89

Game developers do my head in to be honest . It's like right now on this current gen Xbox One X on some games runs like complete trash. Recently the thing that will annoyed me is CODMW runs sweet as a nut on ps4 pro 60fps stable. Xbox one x runs like trash frame rate drops, screen tearing etc. im 90% sure game developers don't use the extra bit of power the xbox one x has over the ps4 or even a xbox one s for example.

apolloa

Distinguished Member
Anytime I read something I that, I just think... this guy really doesn't understand what true full ray-tracing is, or how difficult it is to do properly (and not just a fake hacked cut-down version that is enough to fool most people). "ray-tracing" currently is just a marketing buzzword where they don't have to do anything properly and its enough to sell it. I mean it has been faked and pre-baked for years now in current game engines and done so well, people now can't tell the difference from the pre-baked and the real-time version. And they won't be able to tell the difference in the new consoles either. So games will get away with it, and consumers will be tricked into thinking their cheap $500 console is actually producing 120 ray-traced 4K frames a second. No amount of "optimization" will make a cheap graphics GPU be able to do something that Hollywood level render farms can't do in real-time.
I understand it perfectly well thank you, I also understand not to make judgment and post comments on about ECJ you can’t actually buy and has not been released to the market yet, because unless you’re an insider working in the development kit, or an employee of Microsoft or Sony working on the consoles, you will quite literally have no clue about the capabilities of the consoles.
So considering the specs they Microsoft have stated as fact so far. My comments all still stand.
Your opinions are yet to be proven with any facts.

apolloa

Distinguished Member
And thats where i hope they drop the resolution to then hit 60FPS.

All the talk everyones saying these are crazy specs etc. SO doing 60FPS with bells and whistles shouldn't be a problem right?

Unfortunately we all know they'll be more inclined to hit the '4K' because that's the buzzword so there will be games at 30 FPS. I've already said as such (doesn't stop some from thinking otherwise though unfortunately).
In that case you’d also have to agree an Nvidia RTX 2080 Super is also incapable of playing games at 4K 60FPS. Considering the Series X is as powerful if not more so..

apolloa

Distinguished Member
Game developers do my head in to be honest . It's like right now on this current gen Xbox One X on some games runs like complete trash. Recently the thing that will annoyed me is CODMW runs sweet as a nut on ps4 pro 60fps stable. Xbox one x runs like trash frame rate drops, screen tearing etc. im 90% sure game developers don't use the extra bit of power the xbox one x has over the ps4 or even a xbox one s for example.
I’ve been playing COD MW on my PS4 Pro for a while now and personally thinks it runs like doggy doo doo... so slooowwww paced. I don’t think it highlights anything on the console.

Fake Shempz

Is that likely? I thought not because of licensing issues with games like that?

What's the licensing issue? I already own the disc...all I need is an emulator that works surely, or am I thinking too simplistically here and you need a licence when using an emulator as you are using it on different hardware??

Last edited:

iwb100

Distinguished Member
What's the licensing issue? I already own the disc...all I need is an emulator that works surely, or am I thinking too simplistically here?
Its the issue that MS have to sort out licensing agreements for content within the game - so a game with lots of music tracks not a propriety part of the game - ie. not owned by the publishers directly - is a nightmare of agreements.

The only thing that stops games being BC'd is the licensing agreements.

Cha1ky

In that case you’d also have to agree an Nvidia RTX 2080 Super is also incapable of playing games at 4K 60FPS. Considering the Series X is as powerful if not more so..
I never said it won't hit 4K 60. I've always said not all games will hit that. the 2080 Super can not play all games at 4K 60 either though.

iwb100

Distinguished Member
I never said it won't hit 4K 60. I've always said not all games will hit that. the 2080 Super can not play all games at 4K 60 either though.
You are right that you could have a 200Tf console but once its there it becomes the baseline and some devs over time will push it till they end up having to reduce framerate...

I guess it comes down to choice.

Phil Spencer certainly seems to be pushing devs to go for a 60FPS baseline next gen - but will depend on individual choices I guess as ever.

RTC89

To be honest though some developers are very annoying. I just hope that if the xbox is that bit more powerful the multiplat game developers take advantage of it. I don't think they will but it will be nice if they did!

Cha1ky

You are right that you could have a 200Tf console but once its there it becomes the baseline and some devs over time will push it till they end up having to reduce framerate...

I guess it comes down to choice.

Phil Spencer certainly seems to be pushing devs to go for a 60FPS baseline next gen - but will depend on individual choices I guess as ever.
Hopefully with Phil pushing it we see all First Party doing 60. I'd like to know if they are going to allow 60 on XSX and 30 on X1X and below though. Really hope they do. Third party, god knows.

iwb100

Distinguished Member
Hopefully with Phil pushing it we see all First Party doing 60. I'd like to know if they are going to allow 60 on XSX and 30 on X1X and below though. Really hope they do. Third party, god knows.
Spencer has said he would like a focus on framerate but he'll never mandate to 1st party or anyone else. Comes down to the game.

rowedav

Distinguished Member
To be honest though some developers are very annoying. I just hope that if the xbox is that bit more powerful the multiplat game developers take advantage of it. I don't think they will but it will be nice if they did!
I mean...making games isn't easy, and it's not like there's a button that can be pressed that magically optimises the game for a given platform. Marketing deals with publishers can dictate which platform is the 'lead' platform for development, which is sometimes to the detriment of another platform...but it's not because developers can't be bothered.

RTC89

I mean...making games isn't easy, and it's not like there's a button that can be pressed that magically optimises the game for a given platform. Marketing deals with publishers can dictate which platform is the 'lead' platform for development, which is sometimes to the detriment of another platform...but it's not because developers can't be bothered.
Don't agree with marketing deals shouldnt even be a thing. Surely a game developer would want there game looking and performing on the better platform no?

rowedav

Distinguished Member
Don't agree with marketing deals shouldnt even be a thing. Surely a game developer would want there game looking and performing on the better platform no?
I don't agree with it either, but it is the reality. Yes, a developer would want their game looking and performing on the better platform, but its not always as easy as that.

Like I say, marketing deals can influence this. As an example - let's say Activision agree a deal with Sony, the ps4 becomes the lead development platform for the game, gets some exclusive content/DLC and features on the majority of the advertising campaigns. This kind of thing has happened on loads of games, and vice versa with Xbox. The other console versions exists of course, but may not have had quite the same amount of time and attention on it - which is why you may see the game run nicely on one console, and not so nicely on the other (to your point about MW on PS4 vs Xbox)

Generally speaking though, I think the more powerful console is the usually the lead platform for multi-platform games though as it's easily to scale down/back than it is to scale up, and that is a good sign for Xbox if the rumours of power/capabilities vs PS5 are to be believed.

(That said, if the more powerful machine is a nightmare to develop for...that won't bode too well either (as in the case with PS3 vs Xbox 360, although to be fair the PS3 had other issues as well - mainly price and release date!))

Anyway, I've waffled on enough... :)

RTC89

What a machine!!!

Yeah marketing deals are a kick in the balls when the game runs better on a certain console and you have paid the same price for it you would expect it to run at its full potential on both systems!