• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

NEWS: Wharfedale introduces new Diamond 12 Series speakers

kit1cat

Established Member
I much prefer the look of my Diamond 11.3's, but at the end of the day it's sound quality that counts.

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
They look much more expensive than they are, and I can only imagine sound remarkably good for the cash.

nylonsyorks

Established Member
Just my luck, I was chomping at the bit to have a listen to the Q Acoustics, Dali and Tannoy offerings and indulge myself before christmas and now the release of the 12.4 has me having to hang on until I get chance to hear them and hopefully read a few rerviews.

password1

Distinguished Member
It seems the trend for modern speakers is sharp edges and boxy designs.

The new MA bronze, Mission LX, Kef Q series and these all following that boxy simple design.

I prefer the design of the older speakers, the more interesting fronts, curves cabinets of the old Kef Q series, contours of the Mission m50, volare, SX series, 77, 78 and 79 series, Tannoy Eyris and Wharfedale 9.0, 10.0 series has much less boxy designs from.

Why are manufacturers moving away from curved cabinets, more interesting and intricate front baffle designs to plain looking boxy designs with flat sides to all sides. Im assuming its much easier and cheaper to make a boxy cabinet than a curved cabinet.

password1

Distinguished Member
i think I prefer the looks of the older speakers. what do we think.

wharfedale diamond 10.1

IMG_20201216_113228.jpg

diamond 9.1

IMG_20201216_113255.jpg

Maybe being part of the same IAG group is part of the decision making.

nylonsyorks

Established Member
Must admit I prefer the looks of the curved cabinets but not at the expense of compromising the sonic abilities of the speaker.

I suspect the curved cabinets aren't for cosmetic reasons and probably more to do with the structural integrity of the cabinet and perhaps as loudspeaker designers discover alternative methods of achieving the same sonic attributes with 'square' cabinets and perhaps 'point bracing' that they can then keep the pricing of their loudspeakers reasonable and competitive.

I would happily pay a premium for such attractive curved cabinets as they become a real centre piece in any living room, they tend to look equally a piece of furniture as a loudspeaker, but that's just my personal preference, obviously the big loudspeaker manufacturers have done their homework and come to the conclusion that the buyers would rather tip the scales towards a loudspeaker that sounds as good as it can for a given price as compared to compromising on sound to achieve a more desirable looking cabinet.

Last edited:

nylonsyorks

Established Member
There's actually a very interesting video on youtube in which a sound engineer from wharfedale talks to the HiFi summit 2020 Q4 regarding the release of the Diamond 12 series, I think his name is Jamie Callaghan, he speaks about the amount of research and development that went into this 12 series and does allude to the cabinet bracing modelling.

nylonsyorks

Established Member
But, as food for thought, how about a 3rd party company who build contoured , profiled panels , custom made for the sides of any loudspeaker, any exotic veneer the customer requires ?

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom