NEWS: WarnerMedia and Discovery to merge under AT&T deal

Not that surprising considering AT&T is so far underwater they're in danger of seriously disturbing Cthulhu's nap time.

That HBO Max figure is potentially a bit problematic though. Right now I believe the US chunk of that 60 million is around 44 million subs across both HBO Max and HBO domestic. But a sizeable number of AT&T plans include a sub as part of the service. Presumably if the entertainment side is sold off there's not a lot of point for AT&T to continue subsidising that service, especially with the lack of competition in the US mobile market. How many people actually pay to subscribe directly to the service is, as far as I'm aware, not readily available information...

As for the rest... I'd like to say it can't get any worse than AT&T's leadership but recent history is littered with evidence to the contrary. Still feels very weird that a group with rights to DC comics, Harry Potter, Looney Tunes, Lord of the Rings (at least on film), the Lego movies and the Monsterverse ends up needing to be spun off for a quick buck in the current geeky pop culture world.

Not that surprising considering AT&T is so far underwater they're in danger of seriously disturbing Cthulhu's nap time.

That HBO Max figure is potentially a bit problematic though. Right now I believe the US chunk of that 60 million is around 44 million subs across both HBO Max and HBO domestic. But a sizeable number of AT&T plans include a sub as part of the service. Presumably if the entertainment side is sold off there's not a lot of point for AT&T to continue subsidising that service, especially with the lack of competition in the US mobile market. How many people actually pay to subscribe directly to the service is, as far as I'm aware, not readily available information...

As for the rest... I'd like to say it can't get any worse than AT&T's leadership but recent history is littered with evidence to the contrary. Still feels very weird that a group with rights to DC comics, Harry Potter, Looney Tunes, Lord of the Rings (at least on film), the Lego movies and the Monsterverse ends up needing to be spun off for a quick buck in the current geeky pop culture world.

I have an AT&T Cellphone Unlimited Plan and that gives me HBOMax free,

Now if AT&T were to say that the subsidy ends it does kind of free me up to move my Unlimited plan to another provider

I wonder what AT&T will do with DirecTV ? There have been rumours of a sale to Dish and Satellite TV does seem to be an expensive method of providing TV to much of the US.

I would expect plenty more consolidation within the streaming market over the next few years as there are too many players chasing too few subscribers

From watching a bit of Bloomberg and CNBC, this is causing huge excitement in US business circles. Some say this new company will join Netflix and Disney+ as one of the big three streamers. It could mean trouble for ViacomCBS and NBC Universal (Comcast) as there may be little room for middle ranking services.

HBO has been seriously under watched and subscription wise doesn't compare to the big boys in any way whatsoever.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom