NEWS: Warner Bros Discovery set to combine Discovery+ and HBO Max

As ever the streaming platform offerings must be hard for most to follow!
Hard to find shows without a good and easy universal search option, and expansion of streaming options from a small (Netflix, Prime, Disney+) to large (Netflix, Prime, Disney+, DiscHBOMAX, Paramount+, Peacock) handful.......yikes, who is going to pay 4, 5 or 6 times 10 pounds per month! (yess, I know, the answer is no one)

Kind of glad that Sky still have the HBO deal, though that'll go in 2024.

Sky offering bundled / discounted access may indeed be a good / best option - especially if those discounts bring bolted on streaming options down from 10-12 pm to 6-8pm.

OK (not news I know) but bundling is the way forward!

Just called Sky (already a customer) - they gave me Netflix Premium for 9 (not the 12 advertised, and better than the 16 direct billing with Netflix)

Added Sky Cinema (and also Paramount +) for 7

So 9 + 7 = 16 just got me Netflix Premium, Sky Cinema and Paramount+
Before 16 just got me Netflix Premium.

All hail bundling!

No help to non Sky customers I know, but as a sports fan, Sky is pretty non negotiable for me.

As ever the streaming platform offerings must be hard for most to follow!
Hard to find shows without a good and easy universal search option, and expansion of streaming options from a small (Netflix, Prime, Disney+) to large (Netflix, Prime, Disney+, DiscHBOMAX, Paramount+, Peacock) handful.......yikes, who is going to pay 4, 5 or 6 times 10 pounds per month! (yess, I know, the answer is no one)

Kind of glad that Sky still have the HBO deal, though that'll go in 2024.

Sky offering bundled / discounted access may indeed be a good / best option - especially if those discounts bring bolted on streaming options down from 10-12 pm to 6-8pm.
JustWatch so far has been pretty good to check where something is, not just "free" but also rent and buy

JustWatch so far has been pretty good to check where something is, not just "free" but also rent and buy
Thanks, will take a look.

Though my point was more that we should be able ti turn on our TVs, and whatever UI we are looking at (Amazon, WebOS, Apple TVOS, Google TV) we should be able to see where things are easily - much like a traditional on screen TV guide does. Maybe we're getting there, but it seems a mess at the moment.

Thanks, will take a look.

Though my point was more that we should be able ti turn on our TVs, and whatever UI we are looking at (Amazon, WebOS, Apple TVOS, Google TV) we should be able to see where things are easily - much like a traditional on screen TV guide does. Maybe we're getting there, but it seems a mess at the moment.
Yes agree, but they fight with each other as want to host the main OS.

It might not happen for years

Yes agree, but they fight with each other as want to host the main OS.

It might not happen for years
indeed - I actually find the Sky Q interface, now that quite a few streaming apps are integrated, does a semi reasonable job at showing a broad (ish) range of content.....though I concede that Sky (Q) is not too popular around here.

indeed - I actually find the Sky Q interface, now that quite a few streaming apps are integrated, does a semi reasonable job at showing a broad (ish) range of content.....though I concede that Sky (Q) is not too popular around here.
Ohno. You mentioned Sky Q. That’s blasphemy.

What have you done.

Ohno. You mentioned Sky Q. That’s blasphemy.

What have you done.
I know, I went there!

That said I called them a few days ago, and switched my Netflix billing to Sky, which reduced 16 to 9 per month! (better than the 12 they advertise)

And I added Sky Cinema (essentially to get Paramount+) for 7.

So instead of paying Netflix 16 per month just for that....
....I now pay Sky 16 per month and get Netflix, Sky Cinema and Paramount+ for 16.....

bundling yay!

I know, I went there!

That said I called them a few days ago, and switched my Netflix billing to Sky, which reduced 16 to 9 per month! (better than the 12 they advertise)

And I added Sky Cinema (essentially to get Paramount+) for 7.

So instead of paying Netflix 16 per month just for that....
....I now pay Sky 16 per month and get Netflix, Sky Cinema and Paramount+ for 16.....

bundling yay!
The downside to that is that they’ve made it so difficult to cancel.
I want to get away from long term contracts, but if i check the cost of alternatives, and then add back in everything Sky have bundled, I’m not actually saving enough to make it worthwhile.
Its very clever marketing I have to admit.

And yes, it’s not perfect, but the Q interface is very good at showing and reminding me about content from other sources.

The downside to that is that they’ve made it so difficult to cancel.
I want to get away from long term contracts, but if i check the cost of alternatives, and then add back in everything Sky have bundled, I’m not actually saving enough to make it worthwhile.
Its very clever marketing I have to admit.

And yes, it’s not perfect, but the Q interface is very good at showing and reminding me about content from other sources.
completely understand, guess my addiction to live sports keeps me as Sky (or Virgin in theory) customer. As a long term Sky customer, might as well take advantage of the discounts (such as above) that they can offer me.

I wonder which will be the first streaming platform to move to fixed (lets say 12 month) contracts?
Dont think its happening any time soon, but I say its 50/50 that in 3-5 years time that will be the streaming platform offer.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom