NEWS: Virgin Media TV customers get 18 free channels

We’re on Virgin’s lowest TV package and have some, possibly all, of those channels already. This announcement seems odd.

We’re on Virgin’s lowest TV package and have some, possibly all, of those channels already. This announcement seems odd.
The Lord giveth the Lord taketh away! marketing bullshit.

Given that I'm already paying for the top tier TV package then I've not received anything I wasn't already getting and I'm paying the exact same price as those who now appear to be getting these channels for free.

So what is free exactly and when can I expect my refund?

Given that I'm already paying for the top tier TV package then I've not received anything I wasn't already getting and I'm paying the exact same price as those who now appear to be getting these channels for free.

So what is free exactly and when can I expect my refund?

I'm on the same package and wondering the same as you. When will I get my refund and how much will it be?

We'll more than likely get a price increase as per usual. This will probably pay for the free channels those not already paying for them got as well as any other so called free premium channels they introduce.

Reminds me of when they bundled BT Sports into their top tier package and called them FREE. THey then proceeded to send customers emails to inform them of a price increase to specifically cover the cost of introducing these channels.

I contacted them and informed them that I'd never requested the addition of what are premium sports channels and as such I wasn't obligated to pay for their addition given the fact that they'd specifically stated the price rise was in return for their inclusion. They subsequently removed the increase from my account. The simple fact was that they'd tried to charge me for something I'd never requested.

The FREE channels are simply an attempt to get lower tier subscribers to start buying into higher tier TV packages by getting them hooked on the channels they'd not otherwise have access to. Other services such as BT are giving their subscribers more freedom to opt out of bundled packages while Virgin Media appear to be attempting to tie more customers into such arrangements.

Bundled channel packages are on their way out. Who watches all the crap channels you have to subscribe to just to gain access to the handful of channels you really want. Who cares how many channels they can access if most of them are sub standard third rate channels used to try fill slots with?

Last edited:
I went onto the max bundle last year to avoid the cost increases for my then current package. This gave me Sky Sports and Sky Movies in HD, 500MB BB along with a free SIM for less than they wanted for my previous package. I've never used the SIM, Sky Movies on Virgin is crap IMHO and now, the most important for me, Sky Sports has nothing on of any interest as there is no sport (not their fault I know). Finally, I've noticed zero difference between 500MB BB and my previous 200MB BB. I also got 2 x V6 boxes and these are better than my old TIVO boxes. I pay £99 per month, but it's due to go up to around £130 from August, which I'm definitely not paying.

When the package expires in August, I fully expect Virgin will be sending their annual price increases. The difference this year is going to bring for me is that I will most likely not play their game again and try to drive the price down by cancelling and then taking an "upgrade" at a reduced price to get me through another year. Instead, I will likely cancel and keep it cancelled. Take a BB only package and jump to Sky. I'm tired of Virgin's antics to be honest and the fact that they are not coming forward to offer their loyal top package customers anything (I'm been with them since the NTL days) speaks volumes of their business practices to me.

Virgin are very intent on trying to persuade customers to get faster and faster broadband. Most homes will never need anything more than 100Mb even if using 4K streaming services. The bandwidth will not improve the quality of the content you can access and is only of any real use if you live in a household where several (more than 5) need to access high bandwidth services simultaneously. None of this is ever asked or relayed during the sale of such services.

The golden rule is to never take the option of a higher tier package in return for a discount and always insist the new deal be done relative to the package you already have. I ended up paying less for my package than I'd be paying previously after renegotating my contract after they announced last year's price hike.

I really don't need faster BB or want additional sports or movie packages.

My 150Mb Broadband speed has now been ramped up to 200Mb at no extra cost. Actually 'wired in' to the PC it is nearer 220Mb. More importantly the 10Mb upload speed has doubled to 20Mb.

My 150Mb Broadband speed has now been ramped up to 200Mb at no extra cost. Actually 'wired in' to the PC it is nearer 220Mb. More importantly the 10Mb upload speed has doubled to 20Mb.

Same here.

I'm wondering what will happen when it comes to renegotiating my package though?

I was already getting a £5 discount due to my 150Mb BB being a free upgrade from a prexisting 100Mb subscription. Am I now bidding for a discounted 200Mb service or will my current deal that has been in place for several years still be honoured?

I didn't need 150Mb and I don't need 200Mb, but will dropping down to 100Mb actually result in me paying less or will it simply result in me paying what I was paying for the 150Mb service, but while getting less speed?

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom