NEWS: Virgin Media announces new TV 360 service

That UI is just awful. Virgin really need to offer multiple options around their display settings and lose the awful purple theme.

Also that remote is hideous. I wish there wasn't a monopoly on the cable providers.

Will have to wait and see, appears it now supports HDR support and really this should be rolled out free to all customers, hopefully it's the same with V6 becoming free and the normal box for customers old and new.

existing subscribers to the Ultimate Oomph bundle will also be able to get Virgin TV 360 later this year at no additional cost to the bundle's current £79.99 per month.

I can’t imagine for some reason that a new box will be sent out to me before the end of this year which is about 7 weeks?

Can AVF do a side-by-side PQ test of the main service providers and their various boxes? The Virgin V6 box has atrocious PQ.

I wonder if the new box will support hdmi CEC as currently the V6 box is very dumb in this regard. As with all things Virgin media if it works it works but god forbid if anything goes wrong and you end up in a Philippines contact centre. I recently got an offer by email to upgrade BB speed, I accepted it on line three times and spent at least 2 hours talking to people who were adamant that I wasn’t eligible even though it was virgin who kept sending me the offer. It was as if the contact centre had no info on the offers they were making to customers. No doubt the prices will need to go up to employ more offshore staff to answer more calls from customers who should never need to ring in the first place if their processes actually worked. I pay £80 per month but I probably won’t get a new box any time soon!

Can AVF do a side-by-side PQ test of the main service providers and their various boxes? The Virgin V6 box has atrocious PQ.

Yeah that would be awesome, am sure customers and others will review this aspect imo the Virgin V6 picture quality should be better.

The V6 feels like it just came out but it didn't even support HDR, id like to see much better 4K uhd hdr support and better hardware in general and hopefully a pq that beats sky/BT even.

4K mini boxes, I hope you're reading this Sky! Finally a company realises that people might have multiple 4K displays around their home.

I've been trialling this for a couple of months now:
  • UI Much better than V6 - has a Netflix look/feel
  • Existing V6 converted by software update to V360
  • New remote with voice control and RF posted out to you, has an IR window and can control volume on a AVR
  • Netflix app works with HDR but not Dolby Vision
  • Series link cannot be configured to record "new episodes" so you end up with repeats
  • Controlled by Virgin TV Go app (TV Control app is removed), TV Go app doesn't have channel number buttons or +/-

• New remote with voice control and RF posted out to you, has an IR window and can control volume on a AVR
  • Series link cannot be configured to record "new episodes" so you end up with repeats
  • Controlled by Virgin TV Go app (TV Control app is removed), TV Go app doesn't have channel number buttons or +/-
is there any actual 4k channels like sports or movies ?

I’ve been trialling this over the last week. Some nice new features and the software, look and feel are definitely an improvement on the clunky V6. However, some features V6 had are missing, like the search function is no longer a universal search, it doesn’t display what is available via 3rd party apps like Netflix/IPlayer etc.

hopefully to be addressed with a software update as that’s quite a significant step back in terms of user experience!

Did you lose all your recordings when the V6 software was updated?

Not sure if this is still applicable if wanting to transfer your settings in an instance where the new software is applied, but you could previously tranfer your series links to a new box:

This wouldn't however allow you to transfer existing recordings over or enable you to restore such recordings after the software revision.

I've no idea if this feature is specific to the TiVo software?

Last edited:
I'm still unclear about the roll out of this. Are customers getting a new box and remote or is this going to be a download to the V6 plus a new remote? I'm a long term subscriber on an old highish tarrif. I don't get/want Sports and movie options. I'm really not to prepared to pay more. Like a lot of loyal customers I resent new subscribers getting better deals although I realise these are short term. I currently get 220mBs bb. I just asked a Virgin Engineer who called to pick up my old modem. He didn't know the answer to my question.

I'm still unclear about the roll out of this. Are customers getting a new box and remote or is this going to be a download to the V6 plus a new remote? I'm a long term subscriber on an old highish tarrif. I don't get/want Sports and movie options. I'm really not to prepared to pay more. Like a lot of loyal customers I resent new subscribers getting better deals although I realise these are short term. I currently get 220mBs bb. I just asked a Virgin Engineer who called to pick up my old modem. He didn't know the answer to my question.
You keep your V6 box, which receives a software update and get a new remote posted out.
I thinks its only available for Ultinate Oomph, but not sure.

It is simply a means by which to roll out a replacement for the TiVo software. The license VM have to use TiVo is due to expire so Liberty are having to implement their own software. The hardware is already the same hardware as that utilised in other Liberty regions. The only new hardware will be the rather scarce mini boxes.

The old remote is in fact also licensed from TiVo, hence the peanut shape that is synonymous the TiVo brand. You'd also need the new remote to be able to access the voice control elements of the new software because the old mic hasn't an integral mic.

Those who are getting it now are basically acting as beta testers. Everyone will eventually have no choice but to switch to this software.

Last edited:
Thanks Dante. It seems that it's not exclusive to Oomph customers. I'm sure I'll grow to love it.

It's a huge improvement over the V6 UI, I'm sure you'll love it straight away ;)
I get your message. I'm just left wondering if they will want to change my current package which doesn't 'fit' with any of the 'OOmph' packages. I get 200Mbs BB and weekend phone, and I get a channel package that includes Eurosport HD, but no other major sport channels. I'm OK with this as I like to watch the skiing in the winter months, nothing else. However I see from this particular channel listing this is not in the newer basic package. What happens next?

So basically, if we just wait it out, we're all (those of us on the lesser packages) going to get it anyway?

I'm happy to wait...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom