NEWS: Virgin Media and Openreach: Our networks can handle surge

My BT internet connection (Oxford area) has been fine for the last couple of weeks, downloads off steam etc have been slower though I expect that's due to demand rather than my connection. If I had a problem a reboot of the router usually fixes it.

I had the same issues after 'upgrading' my Superhub 2AC for a Superhub 3. Bought an Asus router about 2 years ago now and put the Virgin Superhub 3 into modem mode. I only ever reboot now for a firmware update on my Asus router which has been twice in that time from memory. No drop-outs, rebooting the hub, much better Wi-Fi coverage and better controls. I cannot guarantee a new router will fix your problems, but highly likely. The Virgin Superhub 3 is a pile of đź’©.

Hi,

Thanks greatly for replying - much appreciated & very helpful! May I ask, which ASUS Router did you get so I can check it out as well! Is it easy to do the set up as you have done - that is put the Hub 3 in modem mode?

Do you also use a Mesh system as well with your Asus router or is it not needed?

I ma really fed up with Virgin, despite pleading with them to sort the issue out multiple times they simply refuse to do so. Their service to me at least has been shocking so may look to go elsewhere when my contract expires!

Thanks!

Pretty much this. I've always used my own router since the supplied ones are cheap garbage. My first Virgin router several years ago couldn't manage a stable connection to WiFi devices 30cm away with no obstructions. The replacement would drop under decent load.

Modem only with an Orbi? Only drops are when the service goes down (thankfully not too often). It slowed a bit a few weeks ago to 80 down but still 15 up. Has been a solid 375 down and 15 up since then though. Can't say the same for client site where their virtual desktop environment is throttling.

Hi,

What router do you use instead of the Hub 3 may I ask? I may now need to consider the same as it seems that may be the only way to stop all the freezes & drop outs I get! Another poster said they use an ASUS one?

I have no idea what is a good, bad or appropriate one as there are so many models - even from the same brands - how is one to use correctly?!!

Thanks!

What router do you use instead of the Hub 3 may I ask?

I currently use a Netgear Orbi because I wanted simple and better WiFi coverage. Due to what looked like 2-3 generations of copper tubing between the floor which we left in there are parts of the house that aren't covered by any single router due to interference.

Prior to this I have used Draytek and ASUS. Almost any router from a main brand costing over ÂŁ60 should be far better than what Virgin supply. Over ÂŁ100 and the main advantages unless you need certain features is faster WiFi. Note, the range won't improve much as you spend more but they add more antennae for bandwidth.

Hi,

Thanks greatly for replying - much appreciated & very helpful! May I ask, which ASUS Router did you get so I can check it out as well! Is it easy to do the set up as you have done - that is put the Hub 3 in modem mode?

Do you also use a Mesh system as well with your Asus router or is it not needed?

I ma really fed up with Virgin, despite pleading with them to sort the issue out multiple times they simply refuse to do so. Their service to me at least has been shocking so may look to go elsewhere when my contract expires!

Thanks!

Sorry for the delay, just got off a run of night shifts this morning! There's many options, not just with Asus. How much you spend depends on what you need. No need to spend on really expensive ones if you're never going to need or use the advanced features. I just wanted one that was fast enough for my 200MBit connection, reliable, decent coverage, good parental controls and well priced. As you're with Virgin, you don't need one with ADSL support. I opted for this one at the time:

I lived in a typical 3 bed when I bought it and it provided great coverage all over the house and garden. I moved to a 3 storey town house at the start of the year though and the signal is not as strong as I would like on the second floor, ground and first are excellent. I am now using powerline adaptors up there for mine and my son's consoles as they are within cabinets and struggle with signal though phones and tablets are fine. There is a signal ok, but a slow one unsuitable for downloading massive games and streaming 4k content.

It is simple enough to put the hub i modem mode, you just connect to the Superhub via your browser. Virgin Media page here explains it:

Are you using a mesh system at the moment? If so, you should have your Virgin Hub in modem mode and there's no need for an additional router as the mesh system does the routing and that could be the source of all your problems. It's funny you should mention it as as I have been comtemplating going mesh myself due to the weak signal on the second floor. There wouldn't be a whiff of signal with just the Superhub up there!

Again like routers, many options and price points with Mesh. No point in spending on 3 or 4 units if 2 would cover your whole house and price differences are again features, speed and brand.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Pretty impressed with my Virgin service of late.

Only on the basic 100mb package. I've been hammering it with 1080p/4K Amazon/Netflix content. Private stuff. Working from him etc. All times of day.

Done several speed tests (all wireless) including one 5 mins ago and its never been less than 105mbps D/L

I think it is. Well i got it around 3 years ago.

All i remember now is its a black box :blush::D

Mmm well I certainly don't get 100mb wireless but that might be the devices I am using perhaps. Think I did the virgin recommended speedtest and only got 25mb

Sky Fibre Max here with no issues, touch wood.

Well i am still in the same situation speed varies between none and dropping off line to 105 mb , i have started another thread regarding it maybe being a Hub 3 router issue, during that i put an app on my phone to analyse what was going on, this told me that all the people around me on virgin, quite a few, are all on channel 44, obviously an issue with us all being on at the same time now, i followed the VM tutorial re switching box off for a while, when it should automatically find a clear channel, mine hasn't done that, i can't change it manually as it won't accept the settings password on the label, i am very frightened of doing a hard reset, which may or may not reset the default settings password, lest i should lose internet all together with little or no support from VM at the moment., not being able to log on to the router also means not being able to put in in Modem mode and use a third party router

So if you are having speed issues worth a check to see if all routers around you are on channel 44, and change yours if you can

Just had a thought prob stupid, i wonder if some of the people going to third party routers have had success with curing speed issues ( Wi Fi ) ( as distinct from range issues ) because the new router doesn't use channel 44

Cheers Chris

Well i am still in the same situation speed varies between none and dropping off line to 105 mb , i have started another thread regarding it maybe being a Hub 3 router issue, during that i put an app on my phone to analyse what was going on, this told me that all the people around me on virgin, quite a few, are all on channel 44, obviously an issue with us all being on at the same time now, i followed the VM tutorial re switching box off for a while, when it should automatically find a clear channel, mine hasn't done that, i can't change it manually as it won't accept the settings password on the label, i am very frightened of doing a hard reset, which may or may not reset the default settings password, lest i should lose internet all together with little or no support from VM at the moment., not being able to log on to the router also means not being able to put in in Modem mode and use a third party router

So if you are having speed issues worth a check to see if all routers around you are on channel 44, and change yours if you can

Just had a thought prob stupid, i wonder if some of the people going to third party routers have had success with curing speed issues ( Wi Fi ) ( as distinct from range issues ) because the new router doesn't use channel 44

Cheers Chris

Chris, if everyone is using those 5g WiFi channels (OEM routers generally use 36 - 44 or so), then the best option is get a third party router\mesh etc that supports DFS channels i.e channel 60 - 120 odd. I have TP-LINK EAPs 225/245 and both are on DFS channels (60 & 104), nobody else uses them and never have a problem with WiFi.

Thanks for that Pugs1 think that's prob the best answer, but to do that will have to log on to the Hub 3 to put it into modem mode, it won't accept the settings password, it would seem this has been a common problem in the past, which can sometimes be resolved with a hard reset, i am worried the hard reset could take me offline all together, and could be a long time to get it resolved by VM.

Cheers Chris

No complaints here about Virgin Media, i use the Shub in Modem mode only but a solid 360+ down and 30 up. Both me and the Mrs are working from home, Netflix is playing, I've got 3 PCs on the go (connected to the office) as well as multiple phones and tablets and I've not noticed any issues at all.

My BT ADSL is faster than it's ever been. Not much but there wasn't much headroom left anyway.

Hi Pugs 1 even more confused now, looked up the tp link eap 225/245 you are using, these are wireless access points, not routers whats the difference, what does a wireless access point do, and how would i use one.

Cheers Chris

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom