NEWS: Virgin Media and Openreach: Our networks can handle surge

BlueOrange25

I'm a Virgin customer. Pretty impressive how they've been managing so far.

Under normal circumstances, Virgin's internet connection drops a 1-3 times a week - for around an hour at a time - in my area (London commuter belt).

Speeds have taken a hit and the connection still drops - but not significantly more than usual. (I get the odd 'mini'-drop here and there but it's done in 10 minutes.)

Credit where it's due. Unprecedented demand and I underestimated Virgin.

lomax512

Banned
I don't mind if they throttle back speeds so households operate at say 100Mbps instead of 200Mbps as long as businesses can survive, anything to help.

xxGBHxx

Plusnet is creaking a little speed wise but nothing to worry about.

I'm guessing it's one of the benefits of having a telecoms industry built on a proper "unlimited" basis. It means that it's built with plenty of spare capacity.

G

ggwoodland

Virgin is working pretty well for me in north London as well. I noticed that the streamers have reduced their bit rates and video/audio quality has taken a small hit but I am fine with this in the circumstances - george

BillRawles

Touch wood but no issues with VM (we've got 100mbps) out in the Essex sticks. The work VPN has been connected for over a week without a drop. Also no issues with streaming services in the evening. Long may it continue.

Suave

Distinguished Member
Hi All,

Apologies for possibly detracting from the thread but I have Virgin 100mb & for the last two years regularly get multiple freezing on my internet - this is whether it is hard wired or WiFi - it happens many multiple times a day & it completely random - can happen 5 times day or 30 - the freezes last from anywhere to a couple of minutes or much longer.

Does anyone else with Virgin experience anything similar - Virgin simply do not want to know despite pleading with them & refuse to send an engineer out.

Many Thanks!

Tempest

Distinguished Member
Will people get refunds?
I don't but if you pay extra for a higher quality, then then cut the quality, should they then at least not credit you back the difference?
They are the ones that decided to charge customers more.

anlygi

Hi All,

Apologies for possibly detracting from the thread but I have Virgin 100mb & for the last two years regularly get multiple freezing on my internet - this is whether it is hard wired or WiFi - it happens many multiple times a day & it completely random - can happen 5 times day or 30 - the freezes last from anywhere to a couple of minutes or much longer.

Does anyone else with Virgin experience anything similar - Virgin simply do not want to know despite pleading with them & refuse to send an engineer out.

Many Thanks!
I had the same issues after 'upgrading' my Superhub 2AC for a Superhub 3. Bought an Asus router about 2 years ago now and put the Virgin Superhub 3 into modem mode. I only ever reboot now for a firmware update on my Asus router which has been twice in that time from memory. No drop-outs, rebooting the hub, much better Wi-Fi coverage and better controls. I cannot guarantee a new router will fix your problems, but highly likely. The Virgin Superhub 3 is a pile of 💩.

rallychief

well we have a 100mb service with Virgin, and all through the latter part of last week had less than 2mb pretty much all day and evening, oddly it has improved back up tp 15-20 mb this weekend

anlygi

well we have a 100mb service with Virgin, and all through the latter part of last week had less than 2mb pretty much all day and evening, oddly it has improved back up tp 15-20 mb this weekend
That's beyond shocking. I thankfully must live in an area of low contention as there is not even the slightest drop at any time of the day. All of my neighbours within Wi-Fi range at least are on Sky, BT and TalkTalk. Have you ruled out a router problem?

rallychief

So now Monday morning 11.20 just done 2 speed checks one with speedcheck and one with Fing, as a cross check , both show download in region of 2.5 mb upload in region of 6 mb have reset router won't even bother to try and ring virgin, seen the chaos in India, where of course the call centre is.

Cheers Chris

IronGiant

Getting 80.76 down and 21.02 up from Virgin here in Oxford, so something isn't right where you are.

rallychief

We live in a cul de sac right at the end of an estate furthest away from the nearest virgin distribution box don't know if that makes a difference just checked again 13.10 now download 16.97 upload 9.07

Violator

80D/20U with Sky Fibre. No slowdown noted here last couple of weeks.

Bugbait

...The Virgin Superhub 3 is a pile of 💩.
Pretty much this. I've always used my own router since the supplied ones are cheap garbage. My first Virgin router several years ago couldn't manage a stable connection to WiFi devices 30cm away with no obstructions. The replacement would drop under decent load.

Modem only with an Orbi? Only drops are when the service goes down (thankfully not too often). It slowed a bit a few weeks ago to 80 down but still 15 up. Has been a solid 375 down and 15 up since then though. Can't say the same for client site where their virtual desktop environment is throttling.

rallychief

So are you saying the problem is the super hub 3 ? why am i getting such a huge variance from 2.5 meg to nearly 50 over a 4 hr period, never checked it over a period like today before, i was having issues last week and checked it, found it was down to 2 mb like this morning

Bugbait

So are you saying the problem is the super hub 3 ? why am i getting such a huge variance from 2.5 meg to nearly 50 over a 4 hr period, never checked it over a period like today before, i was having issues last week and checked it, found it was down to 2 mb like this morning
If it's speed variance it's more likely a contention issue (too many users). If it's stability and local WiFi then could be a router issue.

Aj33

Distinguished Member
Virgin 210-220 up and 20-25 up.

rallychief

So with the wide variance at different times 1.18 down 1.05 up now 17.49 !!!! its the extra demand so Virgin saying they have the extra capacity is rubbish

Aj33

Distinguished Member
I would suspect your router.

rallychief

Ok so what do i do, assuming the router is at issue, their is no way i will be able to get it sorted with Virgin just now, assume i will need to replace it, so what should i get, ( yet another parcel to disinfect )

The latest video from AVForums

LG CX 4K OLED TV Review: The best TV of 2020?

Latest News

TV licence fee now applies to over 75s from 1st Aug
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
New H.266 video codec promises 50 percent data saving
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Toshiba launches UL20 4K HDR TVs from £299
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
LG GX soundbar launches in UK
  • By Andy Bassett