Quantcast

NEWS: Virgin Media and Openreach: Our networks can handle surge

BlueOrange25

I'm a Virgin customer. Pretty impressive how they've been managing so far.

Under normal circumstances, Virgin's internet connection drops a 1-3 times a week - for around an hour at a time - in my area (London commuter belt).

Speeds have taken a hit and the connection still drops - but not significantly more than usual. (I get the odd 'mini'-drop here and there but it's done in 10 minutes.)

Credit where it's due. Unprecedented demand and I underestimated Virgin.

lomax512

I don't mind if they throttle back speeds so households operate at say 100Mbps instead of 200Mbps as long as businesses can survive, anything to help.

xxGBHxx

Plusnet is creaking a little speed wise but nothing to worry about.

I'm guessing it's one of the benefits of having a telecoms industry built on a proper "unlimited" basis. It means that it's built with plenty of spare capacity.

G

ggrossen

Virgin is working pretty well for me in north London as well. I noticed that the streamers have reduced their bit rates and video/audio quality has taken a small hit but I am fine with this in the circumstances - george

BillRawles

Touch wood but no issues with VM (we've got 100mbps) out in the Essex sticks. The work VPN has been connected for over a week without a drop. Also no issues with streaming services in the evening. Long may it continue.

Suave

Distinguished Member
Hi All,

Apologies for possibly detracting from the thread but I have Virgin 100mb & for the last two years regularly get multiple freezing on my internet - this is whether it is hard wired or WiFi - it happens many multiple times a day & it completely random - can happen 5 times day or 30 - the freezes last from anywhere to a couple of minutes or much longer.

Does anyone else with Virgin experience anything similar - Virgin simply do not want to know despite pleading with them & refuse to send an engineer out.

Many Thanks!

Tempest

Distinguished Member
Will people get refunds?
I don't but if you pay extra for a higher quality, then then cut the quality, should they then at least not credit you back the difference?
They are the ones that decided to charge customers more.

anlygi

Hi All,

Apologies for possibly detracting from the thread but I have Virgin 100mb & for the last two years regularly get multiple freezing on my internet - this is whether it is hard wired or WiFi - it happens many multiple times a day & it completely random - can happen 5 times day or 30 - the freezes last from anywhere to a couple of minutes or much longer.

Does anyone else with Virgin experience anything similar - Virgin simply do not want to know despite pleading with them & refuse to send an engineer out.

Many Thanks!
I had the same issues after 'upgrading' my Superhub 2AC for a Superhub 3. Bought an Asus router about 2 years ago now and put the Virgin Superhub 3 into modem mode. I only ever reboot now for a firmware update on my Asus router which has been twice in that time from memory. No drop-outs, rebooting the hub, much better Wi-Fi coverage and better controls. I cannot guarantee a new router will fix your problems, but highly likely. The Virgin Superhub 3 is a pile of 💩.

Top Bottom