Quantcast

NEWS: Virgin and O2 plan merger to take on Sky and BT

1080 jawbreaker

competition is good. Flies in the ointment for Sky when bidding on sports rights.

xxGBHxx

competition is good. Flies in the ointment for Sky when bidding on sports rights.
If this comes off it's going to be an interesting next round with Dazn and its extremely deep pockets also sniffing at the PL (and other sport) trough. Anything that stops boxing being PPV is good by me.

G

DeepDiver

Thought Sky was already on the O2 network? Hows that work then

meagabyte

i was just looking at moving from O2 to sky for mobile.

Smudger1

Sky uses O2's MVNO for their service, but VM are also moving from EE to O2 in the coming months, which probably confuses things even further...

Edit/Correction - VM are set to move to Vodafone this year, which complicates things further...

Last edited:

Sparx

Standard Member
Sky would likely look to hop network when their O2 contract expires - Three is a possible alternative.

They will not want to be using O2 once merged with VM - their absolute direct competitor.

dante01

Distinguished Member
Sky would likely look to hop network when their O2 contract expires - Three is a possible alternative.

They will not want to be using O2 once merged with VM - their absolute direct competitor.

Really?

I always thought that Sky considered VM as being just another outlet for their PPV and subscription channels? I don't see any Virgin Media channels or services being vended by Sky, but Virgin Media happily reap revenue for Sjy by selling VM customers Sky premium channels. Virgin Media don't even have any channels, not since they sold them to Sky.

The only real thing Virgin have going for them is their cable broadband provision. I doubt O2 are really all that interesyed in cable TV provision, but more enticed by Virgin's broadband customers?

Pay TV is on the way out anyway. Sky know it and have steadilly been moving away from it. BT have already tried to do away with selling packaged TV bundles and Virgin Media are some way beyond depite trying to push their catchup services down the throats of their subscribers.

Last edited:

Prime Time

The introductory/new customer offers for VM can be attractive especially if you take out a sim as well. This merger could be good for consumers and improve the overall service VM offers.

Unfortunately large portions of the UK cannot receive the full product offering from VM as they are not in a cabled area.

dante01

Distinguished Member
The introductory/new customer offers for VM can be attractive especially if you take out a sim as well. This merger could be good for consumers and improve the overall service VM offers.

Unfortunately large portions of the UK cannot receive the full product offering from VM as they are not in a cabled area.

It has been suggested that this is why O2 are interested in such a merger and they are intent on trying to further promote inclusive package deals. Such bundled package deals are very popular on the continent, but haven't really taken off here in the UK.

Ypi'd also have to acknowledge that such a bundled deal would be problematic if Virgin Media keep wanting to impose random price increases on their customers. The reduced prices you were once paying when you initially started the deal could disappear before the introductory deal has even expired. Even if you decoded to move on to another provider, you'd still be left with all the hassle associated with doing so, not only for your mobile, but for your TV and BB as well.

Such bundled deals are actually on the decrease in the UK, especially if in association with TV and bundled TV channels. Who care about having access to 260 channel if those channels are utter crap and if no one watches them?

I've no idea why a parnership with )2 would result in anything more than what you'd get now via Virgin Media and their use of EE foe cwllular provision?

Top Bottom