NEWS: Velodyne MicroVee MKII subwoofer launched in UK

Do we have a price for these yet or did i miss it in the brief? Looks ideal for a pc setup or a little 2.1

I almost bought one of the originals years ago, but I couldn’t believe it would perform.

A five inch driver?

But, that power supply! What a monster.

I still think it would need to be a small, small room, and more for music than serious LFE.

A test would be interesting.

I almost bought one of the originals years ago, but I couldn’t believe it would perform.

A five inch driver?

I still think it would need to be a small, small room, and more for music than serious LFE.

i had one , your right it doesnt.

Hmmm. £1,100 seems expensive for a small subwoofer with only a 6.5" driver and two 6.5" passive radiators, but I mustn't judge it on appearance alone. Sceptical though I am, I would be very keen to read an AVForums review.

The frequency response is 38-120 Hz +/- 3 dB according to Velodyne:

I think it's a pretty big stretch to call that a subwoofer at all.

The name "subwoofer" means sub, or below, the frequency response of the woofer driver in a normal floorstanding speaker. In my kitchen I have the calvados finish of the Eltax Shine 8 floorstanding loudspeakers as both my main and my surround pair. You'll see that they get down to 42Hz -4dB. So the Velodyne subwoofer is, at -3dB limits, about 5Hz, or a musical interval of about a third at a rough calculation, lower than my Eltax Shine speakers. I would like a subwoofer that was further below my main speakers than that. Come to that, I would hope that a subwoofer would go down to 20Hz because that is the nominal lower limit of human hearing, and would hence help the other speakers to achieve a full-frequency response as an overall system.

The name "subwoofer" means sub, or below, the frequency response of the woofer driver in a normal floorstanding speaker.

My main speakers are quoted as -3 dB at 35 Hz, so lower than the MicroVee.

(I'm currently applying a 120 Hz crossover between them and my sub though so I'm not using them anywhere near 35 Hz.)

A five inch driver?

I have the original. I use it for music in a desktop set up with a pair of MK M5 Sat's and for that application it's mighty impressive, punching well above its size. I would never use one in a normal sized living room as part of a full multichannel system with anything but the smallest of speakers, but for its size I've never heard anything that can surpass the performance it offers. It is expensive. But if you need a subwoofer this small, and the thing is tiny (smaller than your average bookshelf speaker), then it's about as good as it gets.

@D1gita1 It's always good to hear from an actual owner. I still don't think that it would suit any of my systems, especially as all my main speakers and surround speakers are fairly large, but you make valid points for your setup.

I have the original. I use it for music in a desktop set up with a pair of MK M5 Sat's and for that application it's mighty impressive, punching well above its size. I would never use one in a normal sized living room as part of a full multichannel system with anything but the smallest of speakers, but for its size I've never heard anything that can surpass the performance it offers. It is expensive. But if you need a subwoofer this small, and the thing is tiny (smaller than your average bookshelf speaker), then it's about as good as it gets.

Its funny you say this. Couldn't agree more. I'm looking at this as a potential upgrade to a desktop speaker setup. It has no business being in a dedicated HT system but for desktop speakers (small) I would like to think it'll underpin the bottom end in a tight and controlled way. Having said that, good lord that price!:eek:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom